What's new

Elmer T. Lee Bourbon

At the behest of our local liquor guy, we tried this years Elmer T. Lee Bourbon. This is my first foray into Bourbon as my main drink is scotch (Glenlivet 18 is my favorite). I am impressed. It is a good mix of sweetness and viscosity. Not to overpowering to drink neat. (As an aside, how do you drink your bourbon?)

Apparently, the head taster of a major bourbon maker chooses one barrel a year as the best and bottles it as his own private stock. For 35$ (Manhattan prices!) you cant go wrong.

After I learn to appreciate this brand, what should I try next?
m

I found the Elmer T a decent drink as well. If you do a search for "bourbon" there is a very informative thread concerning all things bourbon in The Speakeasy.

Daniel

Elmer T. Lee is one of my favorites, too. It has several "siblings", two of which are even better: Blanton's, which is smoother and more refined tasting and, one of my top favorites, Rock Hill Farms which is like ETL on steroids. :tongue:

Other wonderful bourbons (there are many) include Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, Old Grand Dad 114 proof, and Booker's.

Tim

Seek out Old Rip Van Winkle. It is a must, and highly regarded as one of the best. There are several to choose from, but my recommendation is the 15 year old. The price should be somewhere around $45. RVW also makes a 20 y.o. and a 23 y.o. They are a bit more expensive, at $100 and $200. I never had the 23 y.o. The 20 year old is great, but I still prefer the 15, not because of cost, but overall flavor and viscosity.

RVW also makes a rye worth checking out.

Their site is www.oldripvanwinkle.com

In NJ, I buy it from Shopper's Vineyard, which has an online store. Overall, SV has a great selection of bourbon, scotch, and rum, to name a few favorites.

www.shoppersvineyard.com

Bookers. Cask strength, but not single-cask. Proof tends to vary year to year, as does the flavor, but yeeeow! is it impressive stuff.

Elmer T. Lee is one of my favorites, too. It has several "siblings", two of which are even better: Blanton's, which is smoother and more refined tasting and, one of my top favorites, Rock Hill Farms which is like ETL on steroids. :tongue:

Other wonderful bourbons (there are many) include Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, Old Grand Dad 114 proof, and Booker's.

Tim

Well done, Tim. I second these recommendations for an ETL lover.

It's good and bad to hear that you guys have tried and liked the Elmer T. Lee. Good because it's a great bourbon but bad because I thought I'd keep this secret to myself. :rolleyes:

This is like a liquid candy it's goes down so well. And for the money ($25 in GA) it's a fantastic deal only outdone by a $20 bottle of Buffalo Trace.

Cheers guys!

Top Bottom