What's new

Drinking water safety

What's good system to use for drinking water when we go camping (tag behind)..I've been know bring my drink water with me 2-3gal (4-6 days) depending where we going..I was looking at a filter system.. But have no idea, the one to use..Once place, a fed campground.The water was brown.We didn't drink that water or use it for tea/coffee.

Last edited:
I've had a Katadyn hand pump from REI for years, never had a problem. It can filter a full litre of water in just couple minutes of pumping, and breaks down really quickly for packing.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got several - Life Straws, Katadyn and Sawyers - but haven't actually had to drink water out of a buffalo's hoofprint puddle yet ...

I do pack coffee filters for use as a bad water pre-filter. Why clog up your filter, eh? And they burn as kindling in a pinch.

AA

Unless you are traveling to areas where viruses are an issue, you do not need a filter to get rid of viruses. They are more expensive, slower and easier to clog in my experience. It has been a few years since I have looked at a new filter though.

I've been looking / reviewing a Gravity Water Purifier at rei.com ..I've got sometime to look at as camping won't start until May of next year..:001_cool:

Like this one https://www.rei.com/product/890673/lifestraw-mission-gravity-water-purifier

I have the 5 liter version. It's a great base camp filter. It is not a fast as a pump but I will wait a little longer and let gravity do the work. While some people are pumping away, you can kick back and relax. Pumping over a gallon of water is a pain. This filter is also convenient because all your water is stored in one place for future use.

It also does an excellent job in filtration. Probably overkill with its virus filtration in the U.S. but that just gives me peace of mind.

I use Aqua Mira drops. Some people say it changes the taste of the water (and depending on the water source, that's a good thing) but I don't notice any change. Only downside is you need to wait 15-30 minutes for the water to be purified. Not a big deal to me, I always have an extra bottle ready to drink.

Chemicals and filtration have their places. I'm a big Katadyn fan but, there are other 'backpacking' filters that do a great job. The hanging bag systems from Platypus and Katadyn are really nice and the Sawyer filters will likely find their way into my gear at some point. A thin cloth, coffee filter, etc. to keep sediment out of the filters is very important. Chemical and biological agents work well if all you are just concerned about the animals that died or defecated upstream of you.

However, if you are out West where heavy metals are an issue or if you are around water from upstream industrial areas, you need a good filter stat screens out the solids and charcoal that catches the chemicals.

Same here. Aqua-Mira for me. I skip the weight of a filter.

I use Aqua Mira drops. Some people say it changes the taste of the water (and depending on the water source, that's a good thing) but I don't notice any change. Only downside is you need to wait 15-30 minutes for the water to be purified. Not a big deal to me, I always have an extra bottle ready to drink.

So...what's a good filter that removes virus,bacteria etc. but also heavy metals and herbicides, pesticides ??

Good question. Out of curiosity I looked at specs on the MSR Guardian. 350.00. Does viruses and bacteria. Nothing about heavy metals, but they would have to be smaller than .02 microns. No protection against chemical contaminants. Wonder if there is any portable system that does?

Was worth looking up. Reminder to pick water sources mindful of the surroundings. Agriculture, industry, etc.

Beaver fever is probably the least of our worries these days.

Mark

I have both the First Need XL filter and the Platypus gravity works. love them both. the platy is hands free filtering + long lasting filter. the First Need is ease of mind. I love them both. I cant hang with the drops. my snot locker and taste buds are sensitive and can detect any nastiness or chemical in anything.

This months issue of Consumer Reports gives PUR ( faucet mount ) high marks.PUR filters out most all the bad stuff including pesticides,herbicides, etc. However CU Reports gives a simple carafe filtering jug a very high score, and the carafe does little more than improve taste.....We need a unit like Katadyn that will work as well as the PUR faucet mounts....

I personally carry a Platy Gravity Works system with a 2L dirty bladder in the back country and a 4L dirty bladder for front country with a group. I also carry plain unscented household bleach in a dropper bottle as a "bad day backup". I have a 3L bladder for day hikes and fishing pack, and carry 2 "smart water" plastic bottles on the pack straps (bladder eats up too much pack room) for backpacking.

If you properly care for the GW system and backwash it each use, it works swimmingly. I'm up to a few hundred gallons through it with no issues and little noticed diminished flow. That said, we mainly camp around crystal clear trout streams. Last trip, fishing sucked and we were piddling with our gear in camp and learned that a Sawyer Squeeze system cartridge will gravity filter with the GW system, albeit a bit slower than the dedicated GW filter.

One of the guys in our regular crew carries one of the First Need models that will allegedly help with chemical agents in the water. It's a bit clunky, is a pump filter, and not as common if you need parts/break something and you're not near a large city on a long trip--though this is a lesser issue with things like Amazon Prime now.

Top Bottom