What's new

Dress Shirt Question

Yowzers!

On a serious note, I prefer not to wear button down collars with a tie. In my situations, tie usually means suit. Suit always means straight collars for me.

For shirts with a button down collar, the collar should be buttoned, or else it can look sloppy. For my office shirts, I always leave the top button unbuttoned since I don't wear a tie. For my casual shirts, I usually go 2 unbuttoned.

There's a double-negative in there.
You don't need to button a collar if you don't wear a tie.
You can wear a tie with a button-down collar, but it's a more casual style and shouldn't be worn with a suit. Wear a blazer or sport jacket instead.
My 2 cents.
Yes my wording was poor.

I don't button the top button when I am not wearing a tie.

I wear dress shirts every week day and as a rule if you are casual enough not to wear a tie, then buttoning the top button is just a bit too stiff. With that said, I also wear ties every day, so I always button the top. If the tie comes off, the button is undone.

Casual is also about blending in with your team, coworkers, and the people around you. Being too stiff makes you appear too stand-offish and projects that you are not part of the team. As part of our company's management staff, I am more impressed when people lead a team by skill, accomplishments, and admiration then by separating themselves from the pack in an awkward way.

I believe the same applies outside the office in a social environment.

In the end, it is only a button and it is not something to get to excited about either way. That's my recommendation.
Steve

Thank you! I agree it is partly about blending in and standing out at the same time. If that makes any sense

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think there may be some confusion about which button(s) the OP is talking about buttoning or not buttoning. If I understand him correctly, he's NOT talking about these two:

proxy.php

He's talking about the "one in the middle" at the top of the placket, if you will.

proxy.php

I think there may be some confusion about which button(s) the OP is talking about buttoning or not buttoning. If I understand him correctly, he's NOT talking about these two:

proxy.php

He's talking about the "one in the middle" at the top of the placket, if you will.

proxy.php

That's my understanding as well.

Yes my wording was poor.

I don't button the top button when I am not wearing a tie.

Thank you! I agree it is partly about blending in and standing out at the same time. If that makes any sense

I get it. You need to judge the situation for yourself, but think ultimately you come off a little more cool and hip with the top button undone. You already are kicking it up a notch by wearing a nicely fitted shirt in a casual environment.
Steve

Ah, the Agnelli. See http://www.slate.com/articles/life/..._buttons_how_to_wear_a_button_down_shirt.html

It is not unheard of to go without buttoning those collar point buttons, without a tie, or even with one. I would probably never do the latter unless I am wearing a tie loosely, with the top center button unbuttoned, and not very often then. And I would not do the former very often. would never wear a button down collar shirt, or any type of dress button up shirt, without a tie, with the top center button of the shirt buttoned. Perhaps some would. I do not see that very often. I would very, very rarely wear any type of shirt without a tie with that top center button buttoned. But that is just me.

When wearing a causal dress shirt I only button the top button if needed for temperature control. For example one goes out wearing shorts or lightweight slacks that are perfectly appropriate for the weather/season/temperature only to later find themselves inside a cold restaurant or building without a jacket. Buttoning the top shirt button does not substitute for wearing a sweater but does make a significant difference. Buttoning/Unbuttoning provides a few centigrade worth of temperature control.

Top Bottom