What's new

Dovo white on TM linen?

I have read a few posts extolling the virtues of dovo white on TM cotton, but none on the linen. Anyone use dovo white paste on Tony Miller linen? What say ye?

I have read a few posts extolling the virtues of dovo white on TM cotton, but none on the linen. Anyone use dovo white paste on Tony Miller linen? What say ye?
According to various informations stored in my head during countless hours reading up on those things I remember that dovo white (chalk) on cotton basically gives the cotton the same properties that genuine linen has naturally. I.e a very slight abrasive effect. That keeps the blade shave-ready longer.
And I must say, from own experience with my (Neil) Miller genuine linen, that linen do make the edges last longer.
So I don't think the white paste would do much on linen or if it does, it would maybe make the linen too abrasive.

But that is just theory...

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I'm not so sure adding abrasives to real linen will change much as the linen is already abrasive. The abrasive may just cover (mask) the already abrasive fibers, negating the advantages of the linen.

The cotton is barely abrasive, if at all and adding abrasive can help. Paying extra for the real thing, then adding more abrasive seems a bit of a waste.
To me using genuine linen is the alternative to pasting the cloth, not the cloth to paste.

Just my opinion here as I have not tested pasted linen against unpasted linen.

In the old days the linen component was typically sold chalked though so maybe there is an advanatge to it, or they felt the linen may loose it's abrasive properties over time, so used the chalk on it which is (was) renewable. Back in the day almost all the cloth components were real linen so chalked (pasted) cotton vs, linen was not an issue.

Tony

Last edited:
Jeremy, not that you would want it after tony's post, however I'm happy to send you the abrasive chalk stick and/or my 2.5" cotton component doctored with said chalk.

By the way, the chalk on the cotton is a completely magical combination.

I'm astounded at how it works and removes metal.

Josh, thanks for the generous offer! But, I've got two TM cotton components - one with Harbor Freight white polishing compound and now one with dovo white. The linen will remain naked :thumbup1: Thanks for the input, Tony.

What chalk are you using?

Top Bottom