What's new

Double Ring PAT. APL'D FOR

I received the Double Ring this morning and am thrilled with it. I only washed it with dish soap and hot water. It has some patina on the cap and the neck of the handle but I don't intend to polish it. It has what I call an insignificant hairline crack up near the neck and one slightly bent end tooth. There is no brassing any where.

It is stamped PAT. APL'D FOR and has no serial number. According to Krumholz that places it made prior to mid 1904.

It has the original packer box in pieces. It is extremely brittle. Here are some photos. The lines on the handle are not cracks but are reflections.

View attachment 77219
View attachment 77220
View attachment 77221
View attachment 77222

I don't have the case for it but now I have to figure out how to display it.

Len

Wow Len, that shipped quick. Do you think you can try and put the shipper back together with some tape?

It looks great, by the way. Nice score.

Congratulations! It's great that this razor is in the hands of someone who appreciates it.

I wouldn't polish it either. I would use it though.

Wow Len, that shipped quick. Do you think you can try and put the shipper back together with some tape?

It looks great, by the way. Nice score.

My mail here is pretty good. The auction was Sunday. It was mailed yesterday and I received it this morning around 10:00.

I think the only way to put the shipper together would be to paste the pieces , like a jigsaw puzzle, onto cardboard and then reconstruct the box. At least I have 3 sides pretty much intact.

Thanks. I'm happy with it.

Len

Personally I don't think I'd reconstruct the shipper. I would display it with the designation as you've done in one of your photos. Very cool!

A thing of beauty to be sure! Glad to hear you're leaving it as is now, it is perfect in my eye.

I shaved with my "blackened" 1905 Double Ring this morning, using the polished 1905 Double Ring tomorrow (I'm doing a "Week of 100 year old razors" this week). Great shavers too! Probably break out the gray patina'd one on Thursday, then several old Single Edges are up.

For display, not sure how you're set up, but it would look awesome sitting right in front of a cased DR with the case open. Maybe put the shipper parts behind?

I would reassemble the shipper. Use a nice paper type of tape and tape it together from the inside of the shipper. I would just look silly to have all the pieces scattered about.

I would reassemble the shipper. Use a nice paper type of tape and tape it together from the inside of the shipper. I would just look silly to have all the pieces scattered about.

I was going to display it with the label only as in the 3rd photo and as Christian suggested. The rest of the shipper I'll store away until I can decide what to do. Currently it's in front of my 1905 DR as T Rick suggested. I like it.

Len

Top Bottom