What's new

does soap ever go bad?

Strictly speaking, many soap makers state the recommended “use by date” right on their product in the form of a little icon of a jar with an open lid, with a number and letter M.

For example, my Proraso tube, Cella, and TOBS containers all show a 12M on the icon. This means the recommended shelf life is 12 Months after opening. Of course this number can vary depending on how the product is stored, and keeping it open will let the fragrance dissipate. I let mine air dry for several hours then replace the lid. My 20 month old Cella tub currently has a slightly off smell.

Look at the post above from TiberiuR with the picture of P.160. You will see the icon with 36M on the second picture, indicating 36 months or three years

Strictly speaking, many soap makers state the recommended “use by date” right on their product in the form of a little icon of a jar with an open lid, with a number and letter M.

For example, my Proraso tube, Cella, and TOBS containers all show a 12M on the icon. This means the recommended shelf life is 12 Months after opening. Of course this number can vary depending on how the product is stored, and keeping it open will let the fragrance dissipate. I let mine air dry for several hours then replace the lid. My 20 month old Cella tub currently has a slightly off smell.

Look at the post above from TiberiuR with the picture of P.160. You will see the icon with 36M on the second picture, indicating 36 months or three years
Wow, I never knew that. I quickly went to check one of my soaps and it did indeed have the 12m icon. If it's not opened or used would that delay the start of the 12 months? For example, if I stored for 6 months and then opened it would extend it 18 months?

I suppose it would since stores must have them in storage unopened which could be months before someone buys

If it's not opened or used would that delay the start of the 12 months? For example, if I stored for 6 months and then opened it would extend it 18 months?

The clock starts when the lid is open. This is because the product is now exposed to air, and some moisture - very similar to opening a sealed pack of food.

To that end, I think that it is possible to optimize shelf life. For example, if you like Proraso cream, but use it in your rotation such that it might take two years to finish, then I would suggest getting the tube, not the tub. The contents of the tube is not exposed to air after each use, but the tub would be exposed and wetted. Another tip for softer soaps like TOBS is to use a small spoon or your finger to remove a dab of cream and smear onto the bottom of your shave bowl and lather (the way Geofatboy does in his videos). If instead, you load TOBS onto your wet brush directly from the container, the remaining soap is wet and needs to dry put, and this will likely shortly shelf life and dissipate the scent. So which version of the product (tub or tube) and how you load, can optimize or shorten shelf life. These variables should be considered if you have many soaps in your rotation over years, vs only using one or two soaps regularly as 4-5 ounce tub alone is perhaps a 3-5 month supply. Bottom line, let product dry out and cover when not in use.

Thanks to everyone for sharing. This forum never ceases to amaze me. I am still learning and the wealth of knowledge is incredible. Now I can work on using up the creams while they are still good.

I found some 5 year old Margaritas MitA by Stirling (1/3 tin) and while a little dry, it was in great shape. I purchased an opened tin of Mike’s Lime off M&M and it smelled like wet dog. I asked here and I think the consensus was the shea butter might turn with age and can give off a strong gamey scent (to my bionic nose). That soap still performed extremely well just like a new tin from Mike.
This happened to me with Mikes as well. I bought it off the B/S/T. I’m not sure how old it was at that time?

I held off on using it. As I like to finish one of my soaps in my rotation. Before starting on another. 2 years later I finally got around to using it. The scent was kind of light. But I’m not sure how heavily Mike sents his soaps. Got great lather, post shave from it. But I noticed that my skin would break out. If I used it for multiple shaves in a row. So I would use it about 4 times a month. About 2 and a half years later. It went rancid smelling on me. So bad that I couldn’t take it.

As mentioned it’s probably due to the shave butter. As I bought some of that for post shave. But same problem clogged pores. A couple years later and it went rancid.

If you are going to buy shave soap to store for years. I’d go with the hard soaps that have been mentioned already. The seem to have been proven on their longevity.

I wouldn’t except these super fated soaps to hold up for decades like the hard soaps have.

The clock starts when the lid is open. This is because the product is now exposed to air, and some moisture - very similar to opening a sealed pack of food.

To that end, I think that it is possible to optimize shelf life. For example, if you like Proraso cream, but use it in your rotation such that it might take two years to finish, then I would suggest getting the tube, not the tub. The contents of the tube is not exposed to air after each use, but the tub would be exposed and wetted. Another tip for softer soaps like TOBS is to use a small spoon or your finger to remove a dab of cream and smear onto the bottom of your shave bowl and lather (the way Geofatboy does in his videos). If instead, you load TOBS onto your wet brush directly from the container, the remaining soap is wet and needs to dry put, and this will likely shortly shelf life and dissipate the scent. So which version of the product (tub or tube) and how you load, can optimize or shorten shelf life. These variables should be considered if you have many soaps in your rotation over years, vs only using one or two soaps regularly as 4-5 ounce tub alone is perhaps a 3-5 month supply. Bottom line, let product dry out and cover when not in use.
Albert, @Phoenix997 , The Period After Opening (PAO) "open jar" symbol represents the period, after the product is opened, that the manufacturer guarantees it is safe to use. When a product just has a PAO symbol with a number of months and no specific best by date it means that its' shelf life, when not opened, is greater than 30 months per EU cosmetic regulations.

From some articles on the topic a main risk is that the product components break down to a point where they lose effectiveness and allow bacterial growth. Our shaving creams may drying out is another example. Accuracy of the PAO date depends on the manufacturer, some will use sophisticated stability testing, others will just monitor an open package and some will use a best guess. How a product is used also effects longevity. Scooping with fingers versus with a clean spoon/tool for example. Overall it looks like calculation of PAO is a mix of art and science. Keep in mind that manufacturers, who would like to sell more product, likely have an incentive to use very conservative PAO date to encourage more frequent purchase and minimize liability risk should there be an issue. Each of us should take this into account and make whatever product disposal decisions we are comfortable with. For any product that starts to turn, even if before the PAO date, one should consider disposal.

Given the above I just monitor my products over time if they go past the PAO date after I start using them. To date I've had no issues with any decline in shaving cream or soap effectiveness beyond dissipation of the scent. My oldest shaving cream is 18 months old. Soaps a lot older. For my creams and soft soaps in tubs I scoop out the needed product with a clean espresso spoon.

I've got probably 30 soaps and creams, including Cella, Proraso, Stirling, TOBS, Speick, LaToja, PdP, MdC, Razorock, Derby, Arko!, Col Conk, Dr Selby, Pinaud, Williams Mug, and others that are up to two years old, used them all, and none have spoiled.

I also have two pucks of vintage Old Spice that may be 40-50 years old. I'm using one, and other than a very, very slight "old" smell, it lathers up fine and still smells like Old Spice soap.

I have a puck of Pre de Provence (orgiginal/Bergamot & Thyme) in my current rotation, and have used it several times over the last few weeks, and I know I've had it for close to 10 years, maybe more. I pulled it out of storage, ran some water over the puck in it's container and let it soak overnight. Next morning I poured the excess water off, gave it a few swirls with a wet brush, and it lathered right up, like brand new. The scent is still there too, and the shaves with it are as great as ever.

This

I know it’s not as fun as loading directly from the jar or puck, but it’s the safest way to keep the soaps in optimal conditions. I scoop croaps and creams. In the case of hard pucks, I grate a bit, put it in my bowl and leave a little water on it in case it’s too dry

Top Bottom