What's new

DIY Travel 4 Sided Strop

Hi Guys,
A friend and I are going to make a travel strop some time in the near future. We currently have various hanging strops but want to make a solid travel one. I do lots of small 1 week interstate trips for work so my needs are fairly basic but my friend can be overseas for up to 8 weeks a time. With this in mind we would like to maximise the capabilities of this strop.

Our plan so far:

• Four usable surfaces with one of them hinged
  • A storage compartment inside that will accommodate several straights and a shaving brush. We will put foam inside to protect the razors.
  • Dimensions of 12"x2" without the handle. The dimensions are based on the cargo that will be stowed inside the compartment but would allow for a decent surface area too.
  • A detachable handle, to reduce overall length
  • Removable plastic covers for each side to protect surfaces and to stop any pastes travelling to other sides. If we come up with a good enough solution here we may omit the handle.
If you were doing this and wanted to get the most out of the strop what would you put on each of the four sides to create a progression? What would the lowest and highest grit surfaces be? Oh, and if such a thing already exists, please tell me where so I can buy it...

Legion

Staff member
This is interesting as I have been mentally planning one of these for a week or so. Personally I only see the need for two surfaces, one for stropping, one for touch ups (I don't use, or see the use of a linen component.)

I reckon it only needs leather on one side, CrO balsa or leather on the other. I also think mine will only have room for one razor (I don't need rotation on holiday!) but a shave stick should go in too.

The problem I am having trouble finding a neat solution to, keeping the CrO from making a mess on your stuff when you travel. Panels that flip over? I'm still thinking...

Yes, interesting that we are both milling over similar ideas...

While 4 sides may not be necessary they will be available due to the storage inside it. I like to travel with 2 razors so I thought I could stash those, a travel brush and a small 5/10ml bottle of camellia oil inside and stop it all moving around with the use of foam.

As for keeping the paste on the strop, I thought about panels that slide in and out and hence can be flipped over and have also thought about detachable acrylic panels that could be attached to each pasted side when being packed away. Could use velcro, those little chrome push-clip type buttons or magnets as a means of attaching them.

If only two sides are necessary then the sliding panel option would work best. Using slide-in panels could also allow for some flex so we wouldn't be stropping on a solid surface. Can anyone see a use for a 4 sided strop for longer term travel? Not that I am planning on manufacturing a line of these or anything, but I want to think over all aspects before I tell my mate we only need two sides. Why would you need a four sided strop at home but not on a 2 month trip?

Legion

Staff member
. Why would you need a four sided strop at home but not on a 2 month trip?

I don't need four sides at home either. :lol:

The only advantage I can see to four sides in the travel strop is that it gives more potential for storing stuff inside. The more I think about it though, the more this seems to over complicate the problem. (Despite having secret compartments being so cool.)

You are going to have some sort of Dopp kit on your travels anyway. Logically it would make more sense to keep your shaving gear inside that than your strop. A flat paddle strop will be much easier to travel with and more stable when in use.

I like the hollow idea from a "cool gadget" viewpoint. It is also a nice design challenge. But I can't help thinking it would be easier to do it the old fashioned way.

Last edited:
I just bought a barbers hone with leather on the backside from whippeddog. I haven't used it yet but might be something to look into. It would fit in a dopp kit and is what I will be using on travels.

Legion

Staff member
I just bought a barbers hone with leather on the backside from whippeddog. I haven't used it yet but might be something to look into. It would fit in a dopp kit and is what I will be using on travels.

Cool, although stropping on something as small as a barbers hone would be... interesting.

Make sure you get some sort of case to keep it in, so it does not get contact from the other things in your Dopp kit. This is mine, made from kangaroo pelt.
proxy.php

Last edited:
The "this'd be cool" factor is diminishing fast. I might just invest in a magnetic modular strop for my travel needs. I will pack my straights in a hard case and will keep an eye out something nice to pack a brush in for travel.

Will let you all know if my mate does end up constructing something (he is awesome on the tools), but I might also try to convince him to buy some of my "excess" razors so he too could make do with paddle of sorts.

Here's something similar from Thiers-Issard;

Model BSTROP Double-sided leather covered wooden ‘pencil-case’ strop box, made after the Victorian style. These travelling strop boxes also held the razors and strop paste - as does this modern take on the original. Bed size each approx. 36 x 200mm with two different grades of leather. Swivel top is kept in place by a handy latchin

proxy.php

proxy.php

They make a luxury travel-strop too.

http://www.thiers-issard.co.uk/thiers-issardstrops.html

You could make your own with a metal sleeve or two small horseshoe shaped brackets and a bolt. Put loctite on the bolt to stop it undoing the nut.

Top Bottom