What's new

Dispensing with the WTG pass

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I just went XTG, ATG, then a touch up for a nice burn free BBS shave. I am thinking with my slower beard regrowth my stubble is short enough to go straight to XTG. And one less pass=more comfort. Something else to add to the noob arsenal I guess.

BTW this is with a feather ac, I'll test a W&B out with this tomorrow.

I just went XTG, ATG, then a touch up for a nice burn free BBS shave. I am thinking with my slower beard regrowth my stubble is short enough to go straight to XTG. And one less pass=more comfort. Something else to add to the noob arsenal I guess.

BTW this is with a feather ac, I'll test a W&B out with this tomorrow.

i think that is a fine plan, one that i have done if the previous shave was less than 14 hours or so.. but i typically don't shave ATG so it's not as close as a BBS.

Give it a try even when you have longer growth. I have given up on WTG long ago even though I have a tough beard... it works just as well for me to go XTG first regardless of growth. For me it is XTG, ATG and touch ups to get BBS.

I find myself using a variety of strokes while shaving, but tend to not do the WTG. Usually its XTG for most of the shave with the exception of my neck which is done with a quick WTG and a couple of ATG. Touchup and cleanup is doing whichever stroke does the job. No real problems doing this. :thumbup1:

When helping newbies, you can't say "just shave", because that is too general. I like the general WTG/XTG/ATG advice, because it gets everyone in the ballpark of good shaving strategy. But, after learning the basics, it is "whatever gets you thru the shave"!

When helping newbies, you can't say "just shave", because that is too general. I like the general WTG/XTG/ATG advice, because it gets everyone in the ballpark of good shaving strategy. But, after learning the basics, it is "whatever gets you thru the shave"!

Good points all. In the next few days I may experiment with a few different pass combos to find the best one for different combinations. Also, I think I have to experiment with my lather technique. I'm not getting the best lather methinks.

Funny, after I just posted this I noticed my tag changed to "Lather Learner". A sign from the shaving gods?

I believe that many would be benefited by less slavish use of the number 90, as in 90 degree advancement. WTG + 90 degrees for XTG, and 90 degrees for the last ATG pass. I have found that even when I shave WTG, XTG and ATG my best results come from, say, WTG, WTG+30, and XTG. (Just making up the example to illustrate.)

I believe that many would be benefited by less slavish use of the number 90, as in 90 degree advancement. WTG + 90 degrees for XTG, and 90 degrees for the last ATG pass. I have found that even when I shave WTG, XTG and ATG my best results come from, say, WTG, WTG+30, and XTG. (Just making up the example to illustrate.)

good point, i think as people progress it's a self-realized discovery that it's not all 100%
proxy.php

It's much like hand-tool woodworking. You learn to read the grain and "listen" to the way your tool is responding. With experience, you don't even think of the fine adjustments you make.

Top Bottom