What's new

Dear Lord, that point is extra bitey!

I've been learning on a 6/8 round vintage G&F and am currently waiting on a PRC Phoenix 7/8 Spanish point. I still have 4 or 5 weeks to wait so I decided to give in to early RAD and buy a Ralph Aust 6/8 square from SRD. After reading about different peoples' experiences with spikes and squares I thought "what the heck, let me see how easy or not it is to draw blood with the point" and proceded to ever-so-lightly drag a 1/4" across my hand. I was stunned to see how easily It cut flesh. Definitely going to mute the tip before shaving with it tomorrow.
'Tis a beautiful razor. 6/8 square with rosewood scales. Full hollow so it'll be a nice contrast to the 7/8 quarter hollow I'm expecting from PRC and the 6/8 round Xtra hollow G&F I've been learning with.

Rule #1...never drag a razor across anything but a finger nail...
Rule #2....see rule #1

My recommendation is do not mute the point...learn to use the razor properly and yes you will cut yourself once and a while. Mutting the point just leads to over confidence.....

You're probably right. FWIW I gave it a go without muting the tip and had no drama what so ever. This new Aust shaves so much better than my vintage, I can be more gentle and yet be more confident with each stroke. I'm so glad to have gotten it.

That PRC Phoenix 7/8 is one that I have been eyeing up. Probably not buying one anytime soon, but I'll be interested to hear how you like it.

My opinion is different.

What purpose does an extremely sharp point get you, aside from perhaps extra "man points"? And, if so, who exactly is looking over your shoulder in the shave den keeping tabs on you anyhow?

Nobody.

Personally, I want shaving to be a relaxing, enjoyable experience. Not a tense exercise in avoiding blood loss.

I always mute the point. There is still plenty of extremely sharp steel to worry about in the rest of the blade. Your masculinity will still be left intact.

Simply my opinion on the matter. Do as you see fit.

I agree with that. I enjoy relaxing while I shave, and a sharp point might take away from that. I don't think I would bother muting a blade until I have shaved with it a few times to see if it was actually going to be an issue.

I like spike points a lot around the nostrils but the grain changes direction on my neck so many times I find noting where the spike is at all moments tiresome.

That PRC Phoenix 7/8 is one that I have been eyeing up. Probably not buying one anytime soon, but I'll be interested to hear how you like it.

I'll be sure to review it, but bear in mind, I'll only have a few months XP straight shaving under the belt when I receive it. I know from past experience with DE shaving that my tastes will change as experience increases and not to make current observations final preferences.
I can say this Aust was lightyears ahead of the blade I've been learning on. One pass down followed by one pass up shaved closer than my DE with a feather blade on 3 passes, with ZERO irritation, even in the corners of my neck which is by far the most sensitive.
Knock on wood...I haven't had more than the tiniest speckle of bloodshed yet, even while learning.

I used to have razors with killer points and they bit a few times in the beginning but I managed to learn to handle them but then as a few years passed i honestly could not see a need to have a point that sharp so I killed the point and guess what the shaves are still great and i don't worry anymore.

Me, I go for the "man points".
I could not get myself to blunt the point and there is something to be said about doing something scary and having to concentrate to do it well. Why else would people walk on tight rope?
full

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Another vote for "I like the SPIKE" ......................... has one bit me a time or two???? YES! I'm still "Down with a Frown" on muting spike points.

My opinion is different.

What purpose does an extremely sharp point get you, aside from perhaps extra "man points"? And, if so, who exactly is looking over your shoulder in the shave den keeping tabs on you anyhow?

Nobody.

Personally, I want shaving to be a relaxing, enjoyable experience. Not a tense exercise in avoiding blood loss.

I always mute the point. There is still plenty of extremely sharp steel to worry about in the rest of the blade. Your masculinity will still be left intact.

Simply my opinion on the matter. Do as you see fit.
I couldn't have expressed it better.

Top Bottom