What's new

DE Shave VS Straight Razor Shave

This is going to be controversial at best and considered heresy by many. I actually started shaving with a DE (this probably dates me) and from there ventured into the whole cartrige razor universe and then several years ago moved to straight razors. Through out the cycle, however, I alway used traditional soap and brush wet shave technique. Now here comes the blasphemy part:

As far as I am concerned, if you take the same amount of time and care with the proper technique you will get the same shave with any of these tools. The only significant difference is that with DEs and cartrige razors, you need to change out the blades after 2-3 shaves while with the straight, you refresh the edge with stropping before each shave and only need to hone every 2-3 months.

I started out shaving with straights. I was eventually able to get a good, BBS shave. Due to nerve damage in my arms from the Army, I do not have feeling in all of my fingers, and the condition improves and gets worse. I found myself in the position where I could not strop the razor effectively due to the lose of sensation after a "flare up" where my arms were both about completely numb. At that time I decided to switch to a DE. Since that time I have not really looked back. It is much easier to shave with a DE, the quality of shave is the same (BBS is BBS), and you don't have to explain to coworkers why you have cuts on your face occasionally. I go back now and then to the straights, but for me it is not worth the hassle. As they say, YMMV, but I really wish I would have avoided spending as much money on straights, hones, strops, paste, etc. and gone directly to the DE. Two other things: you will cut yourself (at least once) and you will have to spend a longer time shaving.

Give it a shot thought, as it is nice to say that you can shave with a straight.

My job requires at least three days per week of air travel. I can't take a straight with me, so I mix DE/mach3/straight shaves through the week. Cartridge at work, as some TSA folks won't let DE's through security. DE at home in a hurry, straight when not in a rush.

I guess a lot of this varies according to each individual, but IME, the BBS shaves I get with my straights feel softer, smoother, and last longer than either cartridge or DE. Plus, the "refreshed face" feeling you get after a shave is more intense and longer lasting from a straight shave. Probably one of the reasons Barber's offered them for so long (some good barbers still do, of course).

I have an extremely coarse, fast growing beard, with very soft skin. For me, nothing does it on that hair/face combo for me than a good straight shave. The BBS feel lasts the whole day with a straight. DE's/cartridges around six hours.

Thank you for sharing your opinions. Will be receiving my Dovo 5/8" best quality and strop today. will start with straight razor sometime this week. :)

Thank you for sharing your opinions. Will be receiving my Dovo 5/8" best quality and strop today. will start with straight razor sometime this week. :)

Interesting thread as I will be going onto the straight shaves at the end of Jan, so keep us all posted with your progress.

Thanks

Ok so here's an odd thing that I can't explain. I started with DE's and then switched to straights. I was getting BBS with the straight probably 2 weeks in. The odd thing is that they didn't seem to last as long as the DE's which was counter to everything I had seen posted.

Now I'm about 3 months in and they are lasting noticeably longer than the DE's but still have the same initial BBS feeling to them. Can't explain it but that has been my experience.

I actually started with DEs in the late 1960s. But, that was too long ago for me to be able to accurately reply here. So, will give you the comment a friend gave me recently. He's been shaving with straights for 20+ years. Recently, he shaved with a DE while on travel. He didn't have any problems with the shave. As I recall, he said the DE shave didn't last as long as the straight razor shave, that the face developed stubble faster.
Thats it ,it doesnt last more than 14 hours before stubble ,a shavette the same as a DE razor.When i shave with a TI straight
razor ,i am pretty close after 24 hours

After 3 years of DE shaving, I had really optimized my shave: 2 passes, 3 best razors, favorite blades with each razor, incorporating my trouble spots into the 2 passes (so no touch ups).

1 month into SRs, I am getting decent shave in slow time. But tired of the stubble, esp on chin. It is fun and interesting, though. And i'm confident things will improve.

What got me thinking about the differences was a need for a quick DE shave last week. I had forgotten just how smooth my face is with a Timeless razor.

I will echo much of what was said above. For me- I prefer a straight, but get an equal shave with a turn of the century single edge. I started with a straight and went to the SE for when I was in a hurry.

The few times I have tried a DE, I have yet to get a good shave. I know it is poor technique,, but I no longer have any wish to practice. I enjoy the other two methods and get excellent results.

I do believe that the straight leaves e BBS smooth for longer than the other methods. With that said, if you enjoy the DE then there is no practical reason to use other razors- you are unlikely to get a "better" shave. There are, however, many "non-practical" reasons to pick up a straight... And you can always tell your spouse that it is to get a "better shave"... Sometimes they will be gullible for the first few acquisitions.

***As a side note- my memory is poor. I know I tried a DE for awhile- and it has been a few years since I have posted.

Apparently, I either had some degree of success (and my memory of not getting a good shave is faulty), or I had updated my profile during the weeks that I was trying... I am, (according to my signature line) a member of the BOTOC. Perhaps it is time for an update to my profile (or time to attempt it again.)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
There are a couple spots I can’t get with a 3” blade so traditional straight vs safety razor I have to say I get a closer shave with a DE just because I can maneuver those spots easier with less blade. A tiny straight would likely tie it up. Maybe a kamisori.

1 month into SRs, I am getting decent shave in slow time. But tired of the stubble, esp on chin. It is fun and interesting, though. And i'm confident things will improve.

What got me thinking about the differences was a need for a quick DE shave last week. I had forgotten just how smooth my face is with a Timeless razor.

This is exactly my experience too. When you consider no care or maintenance whatsoever is needed for Timeless or other DEs before and after the shave, it kinda makes you question things a bit.

Straights are fun though, I'm glad I got into it and am sure it'll only get better, but doubt it'll be a daily thing for me in the long run.

When i shave with a DE, it's because i am pressed for time and have to shave to look presentable. It's fast, it's simple and it's cheap. These days it only sees action if i miss a spot on the back of my head.

When i shave with a SR, it's because i have made the time to pamper myself and enjoy the whole routine. It's slow, it takes quite a time to learn and it's less cheap!

There is an easy movement between the two methods, because in each case, one still has to learn how to make a decent lather and all the post-shave splashes and balms are a skin care regime most guys never bothered with, but probably should.
My experience is that once that initial learning to shave with an SR is over (by which i mean it's no longer a matter of staunching blood), you may even find you look forward to shaving.

T

When i shave with a DE, it's because i am pressed for time and have to shave to look presentable. It's fast, it's simple and it's cheap. These days it only sees action if i miss a spot on the back of my head.

When i shave with a SR, it's because i have made the time to pamper myself and enjoy the whole routine. It's slow, it takes quite a time to learn and it's less cheap!

There is an easy movement between the two methods, because in each case, one still has to learn how to make a decent lather and all the post-shave splashes and balms are a skin care regime most guys never bothered with, but probably should.
My experience is that once that initial learning to shave with an SR is over (by which i mean it's no longer a matter of staunching blood), you may even find you look forward to shaving.

T

Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. :001_smile

I look forward to both, straight and DE shaving.
My DE shaving and feeling after are every bit as good and pampering as my (granted only initial few) straight shaves, a lot better in fact, but I'm sure that's because I'm not at the level of skill with straights I could and hope to be. I truly enjoy shaving with both (not all DE shaving is cheap either, Timeless set I have is almost twice the price of my brand new straight). Over time I hope to get to the level of comfort, closeness and smoothness with straights I now get with DE, but surpassing it seems unrealistic as my DE shaves are nothing short of perfect.

I tried straights out of curiosity, to mix things up a bit, and challenge myself, and for sure am glad I did. It's pretty cool. I'm enjoying the process and will continue to learn and improve, but I disagree that DE is some sort of "fast food" of shaving - it can be a lot more than just "quick and dirty" method.

I actually shifted the other direction. I have used straight razors for many years primarily because I would break out from cartridge blades and a barber suggested them when I was having to shave daily. Can get a BBS shave without much thought but I have a LOT of practice with them!

The impetus for trying DE shaving instead was the convenience when traveling. I have discovered that DE shaving can be much quicker and less hassle, providing a comparable shave. I believe that my experience with straights has helped with DE technique. I find the DE more "sterile" feeling but providing an excellent shave. When traveling, no need for a strop (or a touch up hone in some cases) always a consistent edge and as mentioned, much quicker start to finish. The convenience has spilled over to curiosity now that I am experimenting with my new DEs and different blades so much so that I haven't picked up a straight in a few weeks. Not to say I have moved away from them, just learning with the DEs for now.

At the end of the day (or beginning with a hot shower) a properly honed and stropped straight razor shave is VERY rewarding and "can" be every bit as close and comfortable as a DE shave, technique dependent. I would offer that for me, a straight shave is more comfortable but that is because I am so accustomed to using them. Like DE blades each razor seems to have it's own personality, shaving and feeling a bit different even coming off of the same hone. I have a Dovo Renaissance that tends to be buttery smooth, a Dubl Duck that is quick and efficient and a 7/8 Henckels Friodur that is like driving a fine luxury sports car. All do the job, just differently...

Good luck and report back! Just take it easy with a new straight- Just practice on the cheeks 1st until you get the "feel" of the blade; slow is fast!

/r

Allen

If you have good blades and good technique, you can get great shaves with either a DE or a straight.

I find that I get the best shaves using both. I shave two passes (one pass WTG, one pass XTG) with a straight razor. That gets me a close, comfortable shave everywhere except my jawline and chin. I find it easier to use a DE for a clean-up pass on those two areas than to try using a straight.

Although I occasionally use a DE for a full shave when I am in a hurry, I much prefer using the straight for the first two passes. I have learned that trying to rush a straight razor shave is a really bad idea.

I have learned that trying to rush a straight razor shave is a really bad idea.

Totally agree. My downfall is the stubborn insistence to complete an entire shave with one tool so as to minimise the maintenance afterwards.
That's the reason that an SR shave takes me at least 30 minutes and sometimes 45.

but I disagree that DE is some sort of "fast food" of shaving - it can be a lot more than just "quick and dirty" method.
Nowhere did i say that and in fact the speed and quality of shaves is a major reason that i'll always have DE's in the house. i don't get the perfect shaves from them that you manage, so perhaps that's part of the reason i'm happy to give straights a go and i don't get perfect shaves from them either :)

Your point about cost is well taken - my initial sales pitch to HRH when i started using a DE was based on saving money compared to cartridges. That's err, not worked out too well, given the council of enablers here!

T

Your point about cost is well taken - my initial sales pitch to HRH when i started using a DE was based on saving money compared to cartridges. That's err, not worked out too well, given the council of enablers here!

T

If saving money is a criteria, perhaps having a single DE, and a 100 pack of blades will minimize cost. However, do not ever think that purchasing a straight razor will save money.

You start with one straight razor, one inexpensive brush, a starter strop, and one soap. But then acquisition disorder kicks in. Before you know it, you have a dozen or more straight razors, brushes, strops, hones, soaps and creams, aftershaves, etc. You get the picture. I am currently waiting on a 3" wide shell cordovan strop ($$$) to be custom made. Shaving has become one of my more expensive hobbies. But in the process I have turned the daily chore of shaving into an enjoyable part of my day.

Top Bottom