What's new

CzechCzar's cozy chalet AKA why my wife left me

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Your nominations please - best-smelling aftershaves​

I don't often see scent being discussed, independent of skin-conditioning, healing, or other properties.

Time to fix that!

What are your nominations for the best smelling aftershaves?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Hot dogs anyone?​

@Rusty Blade

Every once in a while I enjoy a good hot dog, boiled or BBQ style on a bun. And for toppings I enjoy raw onions, mustard, and sauerkraut. A side of fries and a coke. How about you? How do you like your hot dogs?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Submersible With 5 Aboard Gone Missing During Dive On Titanic​

@Alum Ladd
This does not look very good.

Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65953872

Hopefully the US Navy's superb DSRV units, which are air portable I believe, can assist.

An eerie and ironic location for a new disaster, and hopefully a successful rescue.

Can a DSRV operate at these depths?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Anchor Steam Brewing to close down​

Very sad news.

:em18::cryin:😰😥

www.foxbusiness.com

San Francisco's Anchor Brewing closing after 127 years

San Francisco-based Anchor Brewing Co., known as the first craft brewery in the U.S., is shutting down after 127 years of business, citing the effect of the pandemic and inflation.
www.foxbusiness.com

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap is no longer Tallow based​

@zoidberg

RIP Tallow MWF

MWF_2023.jpg

My favourite tallow based shaving soap, which was cheap and easy to find in the UK is now reformulated into a palm oil based formulation.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Wallet suggestion please​

@Canadian Mountain Man

Somewhere along the way I've lost my wallet and while one option is to replace it with what I had it's also a good time to look at options.

It was a Tumi Alpha Slimfold ID which for my needs was ideal. Goldilocks size at 9cm x 10.5cm (3.5" x 4.1"), eight card slots (five x primary, two x deep/wide (one at back of each side), one x ID) and a deepish notes pocket that could take one set of unfolded notes in the vertical or two sets of folded notes (i.e. one in each half) in the horizontal position. Durable material that survived multiple trips through the washing machine.

:thumbup1:
  • similar size
  • front pocket carry majority of the time, occasionally in suit breast pocket
  • eight card slots max
  • pass/ID window is nice but not necessary
  • real leather (preferred) or ballistic nylon (nothing pretending to be leather)
  • cow or some other mammalian leather (shark skin is so 1985)
  • matte smooth or pebbled finish
:thumbdown
  • coin purse (never understood the need for a wallet to have a space for coins, defeats the attempt to be flat/skinny

No particular loyalty to brand or country of origin.

What its replacing.....

closed.jpg

open.jpg

@CzechCzar

Thread resuscitation:

I got the Open Seas Leather Topsider Billfold and have never looked back. The best wallet, by a very large margin, that I have ever used.

1688509481779.png

Obsessed with 17 hot dogs

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Bootlegger's Aftershave Reviews​

@Norman Gunston

Now that I have compiled all the ingredients and commenced blending, I will regularly be posting Bootlegger's Aftershave reviews on this thread. Acquiring the ingredients and transporting to my home in Western Australia has been an 18 month exercise, due to travel restrictions, the existing ban on airfreight for alcohol-based products (unless you pay a small fortune for a special licence), and the scarcity of some products for the very reasons above.

My thanks to @OkieStubble for your encouragement to post the reviews, and to the members of the B&B community who assisted in the development of the blends.

First cab off the rank will be the Original Bay Rum.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

What are you hoarding today?​

I figure with all the threads detailing what product we are using today, it's time to start a dedicated thread regarding everybody's favorite acquisition disorder - hoarding.

This disorder normally develops after the "sampling" disorders, where like a kid in a candy shop, we have got to try it all. Wet shavers eventually find a favorite product. In turn, they hoard because a favorite product is being discontinued or reformulated, or a company is going out of business.

Frequently preceding the hoarding is complaining about how lamentable the situation is, or how dumb the responsible parties are, and/or how the world just ain't what it used to be. Afterwards, comments of relief and/or bragging are frequent.

So, what are you hoarding (or contemplating hoarding)? What are your recently hoarded products? What led you to hoard in the first place?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Let's talk about Spam​

@The Nid Hog

Not the stuff that clogs up your mailbox. The stuff that comes in a pull-top can. Pork luncheon meat to you purists.

When I was a kid growing up, Spam would occasionally show up on our dinner table, pan fried in a sandwich or served alongside a couple of fried eggs. I never really liked it. Homogeneous texture and way too salty. After I left home, I never thought about buying it--it was one of the weird things like Postum that my folks had around the house but that I didn't plan carrying on as a family tradition.

Fast forward to me living in Asia. When I go to the local grocery stores, it turns out that there are a mind-numbing variety of canned meats. Some from China come in No. 10 tin cans or in long metal cylinders that look like they were made for packing a howitzer round. There's stuff from Brazil and from Central Europe. And everybody says that the gold standard is Tulip, canned in Denmark. That's a lot of canned pork.

But is it worth eating? Living in a country like the US where great cuts of meat are cheap and plentiful, why bother? Somebody must like it, because it seems to be selling. Low sodium, turkey, bacon and cheese--there seems to be even more varieties than ever. How about you? Any good Spam stories or recipies?

I'll just say that you haven't lived until you've had Spam tempura.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Panasonic arc 6...wow​

@Sethology

Gotta say, I've been shaving with a de for the last 7 years. Before that I had a beard. But in between the beard and the de, I was attempting to use a braun series 7. I found it often would tug at my stubble and just didn't offer the shave I enjoyed. Recently I've been having alot of trouble with some areas on my besrd with the old de and decided to splurge on a new electric. The panasonic arc 6 seemed to be the tippity top. Well I must say, maybe my wetshaving experience has taught me how to shave better ans this has translated to electric but dang! This thing, so long as its used right, cuts effortlessly! Gonna be very hard to go back to my de. I do miss the exfoliative nature of the de though. Either way, I think technology has really improved enough for electrics to be truly viable.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Best SMELLING can?​

Having begun to shave with electric razors relatively recently, I realized that I now have available to me a product which I have always loved for sentimental reasons - Barbasol foam. My dad used it, I love the scent, what's not to love?

Then I realized that there are multiple Barbasols, and I am not familiar with the scent of any. And then I realized that there are a ton of classic canned foams that I have never bothered with, that are now potential options.

Are there any other must-try canned shaving creams? I am thinking of absolute classic smells - think Barbasol original.

Thanks!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Anyone remember this soap?​

Jump to newIgnoreUnwatch
[IMG alt="CzechCzar"]https://xfdata.badgerandblade.com/avatars/m/21/21505.jpg?1672424306[/IMG]

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!​

About a year or two back B&B offered a link to a members only discounted soap, that smelled like avocado. I just broke it out of the closet and it is awesome, but i cannot remember what was the brand!! is anyone able to help?

Quote Reply
[IMG alt="CzechCzar"]https://xfdata.badgerandblade.com/avatars/m/21/21505.jpg?1672424306[/IMG]

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!​

About a year or two back B&B offered a link to a members only discounted soap, that smelled like avocado. I just broke it out of the closet and it is awesome, but i cannot remember what was the brand!! is anyone able to help?
Anyone??

Quote Reply
[IMG alt="jesseix"]https://xfdata.badgerandblade.com/avatars/m/54/54855.jpg?1511288372[/IMG]

jesseix

Wow now that is one heck of a thread revival! 😎
I think that Saint Charles Shave did an avocado soap… might match up with the timeline of the original post.
Otherwise there’s the TOBS avocado cream but I don’t think that’s what you’re referencing.

Like Quote Reply
  • Haha
Reactions:brucered
[IMG alt="EclipseRedRing"]https://xfdata.badgerandblade.com/avatars/m/128/128176.jpg?1650449377[/IMG]

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding​

That must be a B&B record! The first two posts in a thread, by the same user, with a 12 year gap. Amazing 👏

Richard - TBOC, TCOS, BOSC.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!​

Stephan’s, Gabels, Master are all good Lilac aftershave splashes for me. 4711 has an interesting Lilac as well.

I was never chosen by the Legend toilet that is Pinaud Lilac Vegetal …. :)
Stephan is more "Lilac" than "Vegetal". It's quite a bit sweeter, if that's the right term. Not a bad thing just more floral.
The thing that attracts me to Lilac Vegetal is that while it has that Lilac smell (which I love) it also has a very "earthy/loamy" toilet note to it. Literally like the smell of walking through the woods toilet kicking up the forest floor toilet as you go.
Minor revisions to improve accuracy 😂

Anchor Steam Brewing to close down​

Very sad news.

:em18::cryin:😰😥

www.foxbusiness.com

San Francisco's Anchor Brewing closing after 127 years

San Francisco-based Anchor Brewing Co., known as the first craft brewery in the U.S., is shutting down after 127 years of business, citing the effect of the pandemic and inflation.
www.foxbusiness.com

This just sucks. Anchor Steam is a great beer. Of course a corporation bought and closes it down sighting pandemic and inflation. This company survived the pandemic of 1918, prohibition when alcohol was actually illegal and the great depression. Corporations have no balls. Another note now Steam beer style beer will become extinct.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
This just sucks. Anchor Steam is a great beer. Of course a corporation bought and closes it down sighting pandemic and inflation. This company survived the pandemic of 1918, prohibition when alcohol was actually illegal and the great depression. Corporations have no balls. Another note now Steam beer style beer will become extinct.
Corporation bought it, didn't realize immediate profitability, shut it down

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

Spam Calls​

@TexLaw

Has anyone else been getting a ton of spam calls over the last couple of days? I always have some, but I've been getting the same one over and over. It's a robocall scam saying that my Apple account was breached. All numbers are from my area code and prefix.

I got 11 yesterday and 5 in the last two hours. The occasional one is just part of the world we live in these days, but this is getting to be a full time job.

I haven't received that one, yet. At least, I haven't received it as far as I know.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Finally, I have found that by combining dry shaving/cream, dry shaving/stick, cream/stick, or all three, I actually cut my time down significantly, while increasing the closeness of the shave. Rather than constantly run my hand over my face while I am shaving to see if I have missed anything, I aim for getting 80% of everything in the first dry pass with Lectric Shave. This takes about a minute and a half. Then I switch to the combo shave stick / cream, and clean up what was missed with the Lectric Shave. All told, I am done in about 5 minutes.

plodding away relatively happily with my routine. There is now no question in my mind that the dry shave / wet shave with soap and cream. I am getting shaves with BBS that lasts almost all day, with none of the skin irritation I used to get from wet shaving. Don't get me wrong wet shaving is great, but I have found what works for me.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Although the thread is dying down I am still annoyed by MWF's self-abasement.

I will now proceed to gripe on this thread.

Top Bottom