What's new

Custom Made 30mm WD Silvertip

I had decided I wanted a large knotted brush but wanted something shorter than my Omega Pro 48 Boar, and softer as well. Love the 48, but it really whips and splays around on the face. I also wanted it to be very comfortable to hold in the hand while lathering. So I ended up making a short ball end handle with a 20mm deep hole. Got a Whipped Dog 30mm in Silvertip ordered for it and it arrived today. So I figured some before/after bloom photos were a prereq.

It has a pretty decent bloom, but not as much as some due to that deep knot of course.
proxy.php

And here it is with my 24mm WD High Mountain and my Rudy Vey Keyhole with a TGN 23/48 Two Band Finest.
proxy.php

Thoughts from the first shave:

It is HUGE! The deep knot really does help keep it from flopping around which is exactly what I was after. It's first use was with some Sterling Glacial Lemon Chill, loaded about 45sec to a minute. It loads easier that my WD High Mountain above, but not quite as easy as the Rudy Vey. Went into a face lather and it felt really nice, had just a tiny bit of scritch to it, but I didn't seem to notice it toward the end so maybe it will continue to soften and go completely away? Anyone have similar experience with this? It wasn't uncomfortable at all, just kinda surprised me since this is my first silvertip and I wasn't expecting it from all I have heard. it held enough soap I was able to do a full 3 pass lather and when I squeezed out the knot I am sure I could have gotten a 4th pass easily. The ergonomics of my handle were awesome btw! Had an amazing balance and just felt very natural in the hand while lathering, surprised more companies don't use this design.

Nice job on the brush. Could ya tell us what type of wood it's made from?
Is it the natural color of the wood or has it been stained? Looks comfortable to use.

Thanks guys, the wood is Walnut and it is the natural color. It is super comfortable in the hand!!

Looks great and does look like a very comfortable handle to use. I think it will be better still after a few more uses.

Top Bottom