What's new

Conservative Wardrobe-suits/ sports jackets

My son's in his early 20's, attends University and also works.

I'm in my early 60's and have been retired for a few years.

When I was in my 20's I selected the following wardrobe:

• Harris Tweed Sports Jacket..a real Harris Tweed fabric from Scotland...not cheap, but not overly expensive
  • A Blue Blazer
  • A gray flannel suit
  • A light summer suit

That was pretty well it for starters. The jackets / suits had mid range lapel sizes. all of better than good quality, conservative in style.

They were to my mind...classics, that never go out of style and as my career was a rather conservative profession...they worked out well.

But that was many years ago.

I'm not sure what to recommend to my son as a basic wardrobe.

Are Blue Blazers, Harris Tweeds, Gray Flannel suits, light summer suits, conservatively styled of very good fabric still classics in this modern world, for a young man ?

I'm in my mid 50's and remember being outfitted in mostly Brooks Brothers on my way to a career(?) on Wall Street. In addition, the Preppy Handbook helped launch the preppy look of the early to mid eighties where conservative dress was de rigeuer.

I think his overall clothing choices will depend on whether he will work for an organization that favors conservative dress. The same is for the company he keeps. If he runs in a crowd that favors it (especially the women) then he probably follow suit (so to speak).

My view is that many (most?) people in their 20's either don't care or will try to dress fashionably. The slow demise of suits for business has led to a lowering of standards all around.

Good luck.

I'm in my mid 50's and remember being outfitted in mostly Brooks Brothers on my way to a career(?) on Wall Street. In addition, the Preppy Handbook helped launch the preppy look of the early to mid eighties where conservative dress was de rigeuer.

I think his overall clothing choices will depend on whether he will work for an organization that favors conservative dress. The same is for the company he keeps. If he runs in a crowd that favors it (especially the women) then he probably follow suit (so to speak).

My view is that many (most?) people in their 20's either don't care or will try to dress fashionably. The slow demise of suits for business has led to a lowering of standards all around.

Good luck.

Sad but true. Our social mores have changed. Dress as well as other other norms have changed.

Good luck.

I agree with your points, especially the fact that people in my generation (I'm 25) either don't seem to care about being professional, or just give it a half-hearted effort. However, what I do like about the changing trends in fashion is that now a lot more varieties of styles/colors are considered acceptable in the workplace, so you can have a bit more freedom in what you wear while still being professional. For example, since it is winter, I like to match my medium-gray suit with a dark blue dress shirt and silver tie. On me (very light skin, dark hair, blue eyes), the colors work well, and it does get noticed.

To add to that, I like your point about mimicking the fashion of his companions. Around here, khakis, a navy blazer, white/light blue dress shirt (depending on season), and a yellow/red/pink tie (depending on season) can be considered professional, depending on how close to Cape Cod you live, while in Boston it would depend on the company.

Lesmore said:
Are Blue Blazers, Harris Tweeds, Gray Flannel suits, light summer suits, conservatively styled of very good fabric still classics in this modern world, for a young man ?

I would say yes, but that is my opinion. Like I said above, if you take the time to dress well, people do notice, especially your superiors. Conservative 2 button suits are still the norm, although 3 buttons are considered acceptable if you can pull them off (I certainly can't :tongue_sm ). Dress shirt colors and tie colors/patterns are where it gets tricky.

I think they are. Those are staples in a man's closet that never go out of style. He may or may not want to dress as conservatively as that, but having those clothes in his closet would mean he would be ready for any more semi-formal impromptu gathering he needs to attend - funeral, wedding for a buddy, work party at the bosses house among the top I can think of. I would appreciate the effort if my father had done that. You may even get more out of it if you do the shopping together and explain why you are getting these items for him.

...However, what I do like about the changing trends in fashion is that now a lot more varieties of styles/colors are considered acceptable in the workplace, so you can have a bit more freedom in what you wear while still being professional. For example, since it is winter, I like to match my medium-gray suit with a dark blue dress shirt and silver tie. On me (very light skin, dark hair, blue eyes), the colors work well, and it does get noticed.

That may not necessarily be conservative but it certainly sounds in good style.

Think I like what you started out with. The exception I would make would be to go with a navy blue wool suit instead of the gray flannel. And Harris Tweed doesn't have to be expensive.

But please know that I am 71, so perhaps my advice is a bit dated!

Think I like what you started out with. The exception I would make would be to go with a navy blue wool suit instead of the gray flannel. And Harris Tweed doesn't have to be expensive.

But please know that I am 71, so perhaps my advice is a bit dated!

I agree with this -- a navy wool suit or perhaps charcoal. Either would be dark enough (and therefore formal enough) for evening events, weddings, funerals, etc.

I don't see much flannel these days. But then I live in Texas, and flannel might be a bit heavy here.

I think your choices are excellent. Agree that a navy suit may be more versatile (as James Bond said "a navy suit, a white shirt and black knit tie and a man can go anywhere". Harris Tweed never goes out of style, same with a blue blazer which can be paired with gray flannel, camel flannels or chinos, a light summer suit or light summer sport coat with slacks is perfect. You can dress all of this up or down with choice of tie, shirts, pocket square, shoes. From what I can see with my 28 yo son is that the TRAD (ivy league/preppy) look is making a strong comeback. In part this is driven by shows like Mad Men. While the bulk of young men don't have a clue and don't care there is a core that are learning and care a lot. I wonder which group will meet with success in business or the professions?? He said rhetorically!

I'm an Australian fresh out of university and in a very conservative graduate position for an international company. In terms of my dress I am expected to wear a suit every day, and maintain a high standard of dress on my days off.

When it came to building my wardrobe, I went with;

One navy suit
One navy houndstooth suit
One midnight blue suit

All white shirts with various ties in conservative designs.

One peacoat
One leather jacket
One wool driving coat

Several shirts in conservative colours/designs.

I find that covers all scenarios whilst allowing me to have a bit of style.

I would suggest that great emphasis be placed on the fit of all garments. I found that many clothes simply did not fit me properly and looked silly as a result. My clothes aren't the most expensive, but they are quality garments that fit well - that is the key.

Could not agree more. I am a pharmacist working in a hospital and could probably get by wearing scrubs, but unless I have to go into the surgical suite, no way.

Weekdays I dress in what I call casual, dress shirt, slacks, shoes(no sneakers, rebocks ect), tie, and a sport coat to work. Coat comes off at work and it's shirtsleeves. Vest in cooler weather. Fedora to and from work.

Weekends & holidays, dressier sport shirt, button up, no t shirts or polo shirts, in fact I refuse to wear a shirt without a collar so on my really casual off days at home I will wear a polo type shirt.

I'm in my mid 60's and honestly stuck in my ways and very comfortable with them. If overdress compared to a lot of younger folks, so be it.

My first ten years of post college life was as a pharmacy officer in the USAF so we had rather strict dress codes, usually the more casual open collar tan khaki type uniform in summer, and class A blues in colder weather.

Around our little hospital, my dress is generally a bit more dressy than most of the physicans and on a par with our male administrators. It is such that I can be comfortable and acceptable in any situation.

Bottom line dress the best you can for the occasion and situation you are in. Try not to go overboard or under either.

Good luck.

Top Bottom