What's new

Cleanup on a French razor?

I know how a lot of these threads go, "found this neat razor, what can you tell me about it?." I think I'll receive a similar, "nice razor, can't tell you much" response, I know many razors are hard to tell much about.
I guess my question is, what are the hallmarks of a French razor, if there can be said to be any? I know a lot of the men who made razors moved around a bit and so did their knowledge.
I was given this razor by an uncle on my mothers side, he said it was picked up in the 60's when he was in London on leave. A nice gesture, anything carried by a family member is precious. He said it looked pretty much the same when he bought it for a $1 at a knife shop. It has a set of mismatched scales in blonde and black horn with one newer washer and an older collared washer, like old Wade and Butchers. I think it's from France, but cannot be sure. It has stamped on the tang:
Naude
Acul. Beaumarchais 88
The faux frameback grind is very thin, as is the tang, with jimps on the bottom. As near as I can tell Beaumarchais is a boulevard in Paris, also there is a play named "Beaumarchais Barber of Saville"
I love the mystery of these old blades! Discuss!
$IMG_6664.jpg$IMG_6665.jpg

So, I first thought the second line would be the town. But 88 is the Vosges, and no cities in that part of France match the name.
The French makers in Thiers have an identification number they put on their razor (like 69 for Thiers Issard), but 88 is un-assigned.
So I don't know.
It kinda looks like a Gelle Freres, but then again, most rattler will.

So, I first thought the second line would be the town. But 88 is the Vosges, and no cities in that part of France match the name.
The French makers in Thiers have an identification number they put on their razor (like 69 for Thiers Issard), but 88 is un-assigned.
So I don't know.
It kinda looks like a Gelle Freres, but then again, most rattler will.

Very interesting, I had no idea the numbers indicated a town/location. I'm wondering condition wise if it will be worth the effort for a full restore. There is a bit of hone wear on one side of the spine causing a larger bevel on that side. Now, I'm not honing yet, but this concerns me.

This looks like an easy restore to me for the blade. If it fits into the scales without the tip of the blade sticking out, I'd go for it.
I'd offer to hone it for you, but I'll be traveling out of the country for the next 2 months, away from my stones.

This looks like an easy restore to me for the blade. If it fits into the scales without the tip of the blade sticking out, I'd go for it.
I'd offer to hone it for you, but I'll be traveling out of the country for the next 2 months, away from my stones.

I appreciate the vote to restore and offer to hone! Have a safe trip! I'll clean her up asap!

$IMG_6684.jpg$IMG_6685.jpg$IMG_6687.jpg
Sanding and polish done! Now she needs new scales!

The toe is 7/8 and heel is 6/8, can't wait to get her together!

Last edited:
Top Bottom