What's new

Cjb kamisori pass around....

I got my CJB in the mail today. Naturally the mail arrived about two minutes after I shaved, so I've not had a chance to use it yet. Balances well in the hand though. This is my first disposable blade straight, looking forward to trying it out.

I hope you like it...

I received mine in the mail today, also. Man, that was fast!! Since I'm flush with feather blades, I opted for the Dorcos. I'll try it tomorrow. This may become the razor I use in the barber shop. Not having a handle get in the way may be kinda nice.

Shaved with the CJB today. Nice smooth shave, but I need to get used to it as I nicked myself seven times. No burn or irritation. I like the CJB, and it will be staying in my rotation.

Shaved with the CJB today. Nice smooth shave, but I need to get used to it as I nicked myself seven times. No burn or irritation. I like the CJB, and it will be staying in my rotation.

i am very happy you are happy with it....

I'm sort of happy about it too. Might have been better if I didn't like it though, cause now I want to buy all the different blades I could try in it. Guess I'll need to get a blade bank too. And while I'm shopping,I might as well throw a puck or two of soap in my cart, maybe a new aftershave. Next thing you know my credit card bill is skyrocketing.

My CJB arrived today.

First impressions were that while it's good for the money, it definitely doesn't look or feel (IMO) as well made my Feather or Kai razors. That said, it looks and feels solid enough that I wanted to use it! So, I loaded her up with a Kai mild blade, whipped up some Tabac, and went to work. The shave went ok for me. Not perfect, but then why would it be first time out? The angles feel a little different to both the Kai and the Feather razors I have, and I couldn't quite find the sweet spot during this first run. At times it felt a little scratchy against my skin. I think though, that after a few more shaves, my shaves will be as good as with the Feather or Kai.

Bottom line, if you want to try this kind of razor with the disposable Feather or Kai blades, but the razors are normally a bit too pricey for you, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of these razors.

Thanks Brian! Hope yours arrives soon!

I received the one you sent me Brian... It is extremely well made... Beautiful and elegant....thank you

As far as performance tho they both feel the same to me ...Lol....

Shipped the razor to Brent yesterday, as far as how I liked the razor. I really missed it this morning and felt like I was settling by using my fanboy. Pack, save me one, as I will be ordering one in a few weeks. It gives a smooth irritation free shave and I was getting pretty fast with it.

How were the Dorcos??

I received mine in the mail today, also. Man, that was fast!! Since I'm flush with feather blades, I opted for the Dorcos. I'll try it tomorrow. This may become the razor I use in the barber shop. Not having a handle get in the way may be kinda nice.

I'm 3 or 4 shaves in with the CJB now, and I really like it. I can get shaves just as good as from my Feather or Kai razors.
Not sure if there are any more of these still available, but strongly recommend them for those interested in trying these kinds of razors.

I haven't tried the Dorco blades yet. Brian said he thought they might be sharper than the Feathers, so I'll leave them for a weekend shave sometime!

Shipped the razor to Brent yesterday, as far as how I liked the razor. I really missed it this morning and felt like I was settling by using my fanboy. Pack, save me one, as I will be ordering one in a few weeks. It gives a smooth irritation free shave and I was getting pretty fast with it.

i get that exact feeling when using a DE/SE, but shave is usually right on regardless.

If you don't have 20 folks lined up yet I would like to give this a shot.

Does it use the hair shaper blades?

Received this from MondoJ late last week and was able to have a shave with it over this weekend. I believe Obiwan is next on the list - PM'd him to get his address so I can send it out late this week/early next. If I'm wrong on the order, please let me know.

This is only one shave in but here are my initial impressions on the good parts:
1. This think is wicked sharp. Much like Trick420 - it makes me realize that I have some work to do on my honing. I didn't see much of a difference on the WTG passes but the XTG/ATG was much smoother and effortless than I'm used to. I know that it is impossible to get to the same level of sharpness via honing as the feather blades but does show me I have some room for improvement.
2. Got a few weepers but this is to be expected with trying something new and this sharp. All in all, a quick technique change for round 2 should take that away.
3. This is my first kamisori type shave. Was a bit easier than I expected. I realized the with a traditional straight I hold it like a kamisori in some positions so the transition was easier than expected.
4. I've never tried the Feather kamisori type, but from pictures I've seen and comparing to this it's a tremendous value. They look very similar and this has a great heft and feel. Fit and finish was pretty good considering how inexpensive it is.
5. I usually do 2 pass shaves and get BBS in some areas and close to it in other areas. The shave after 2 passes here was noticably better but not completely drastic.
6. Loading the blade with the blade dispenser was quick, easy and safe.

Here are a few things I noticed that weren't so good:
1. I have big long fingers - it seemed like I kept catching lather with my thumb and having it run up onto the handle. This isn't anything with this specific razor, just how this disposable kamisori type fits with my technique
2. The lather built up on the blade holder quite quickly and got onto the handle and made a mess/became slippery. Again this isn't anything specific to this razor, just my experience with it. I think since the length of the blade is smaller, I can't do an entire side and then rinse, but have to rinse constantly.

I'll tweak some more and let you guys know how subsequent shaves are

If you don't have 20 folks lined up yet I would like to give this a shot.

Does it use the hair shaper blades?

The same blades that go into the Feather disposable straights and cobra classics. There is a pack of blades with the razor, so you probably wouldn't have to worry about it. I think most would only use one blade (that's my plan at least).

The same blades that go into the Feather disposable straights and cobra classics. There is a pack of blades with the razor, so you probably wouldn't have to worry about it. I think most would only use one blade (that's my plan at least).

Thanks Brent. How for you think this stacks up with the sextoblade?

I would like to try this if it's still going on. Beats the heck out of buying one first and then trying it.

If I wanted to get my hands on one of these, where can I get one in the EU?
I am new to straights and I think I don't want to be bothered with strops and hones. Razors like these have caught my eye, but the high price of, say, a Feather AC have kept me from buying one.

If I wanted to get my hands on one of these, where can I get one in the EU?
I am new to straights and I think I don't want to be bothered with strops and hones. Razors like these have caught my eye, but the high price of, say, a Feather AC have kept me from buying one.

You can check if Paco664 still has any on here. Maybe drop him a PM? He's a great guy to deal with and shipped me one to Japan with no issues.

Folks,

Thanks to Paco664 I got the last one of the previous batch!! Very fast shipping!! Thanks again for helping me with this!!

I tried it this morning and it was a very good DFS/almost a BBS shave in 2 passes! I have used straights that I had honed previously, but my usual experience was either too sharp and scrapped my skin, or it did not cut as easily as it should. This razor was very smooth and very sharp and made the stubble disappear without much irritation. Now, I must say that if one is used to western style straights, as I am, it will take some getting used to, as the learnt motions don't transfer quite easily.

So, after my first shave with this razor and using dorco blades, I have something to write about!! This is very nice!! Thanks Paco664 for this experience!!

Best regards,
-thepusher

Top Bottom