What's new

Cigars and Winter

I have a question that's been nagging at me (am I'm sure Matt, too). For all of the cigar smokers that fall into the it's too cold to smoke outside, I don't have access to and/or can't afford trips to a B&M lounge, can't smoke indoors be it house, garage, car, etc... crowd, what do you do during winter?

I'd hate to think that I have to go on a multi-month cigar hiatus...

I plan of taking full advantage of the milder days by going for a walking around the neighborhood with a robusto. But those crazy cold -30* days...that is the definition of winter depression!

I can always take one to the bar. I'll just have to deal with some fool with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth telling me my La Aroma de Cuba stinks.

Cory, I think there's only one option: negotiate with SWMBO on a 'smoking room' in your house. Promise her you'll only smoke in that particular room at set times (when she's not at home FI) and that you'll ventilate it thoroughly afterwards or whatever. No other options I'm afraid.

I'm a pipe and cigar smoker. Regardless of what this makes me sound like, I will smoke anywhere I wish in my own home. I have my home office set up with a 24/7 exhaust fan and I do most of my smoking there. The basement rec area is the designated smoking area, as well as the outside patio area in nice weather, during parties.
The garage is my domain and anything goes there.

It's not that I don't practice restraint. I don't eat around meals or smoke in the kitchen, but enjoy a pipe in the family room at will. I feel there are enough restrictions being imposed on me by fanatic's and cowardly politicians to bring any home with me. Just the way I am,,,,have a great day!

Most of the bars here *frown* on cigar and pipe smoking. There are a couple of good cigar lounges (which are essentially free if you bring your own cut and light) and that's a good option if you are sociable. I am a big fan of walking with a greatcoat, gloves, a hat, and the warmth of my pipe. It almost never gets below 0F here, I think denizens of the cold northlands need to accept the fact that a smoking lounge must be added on to the family cabin...

Am also both a cigar and pipe smoker, I actually have toboccos reserved just for winter among which is a locally sold english blend with lots of latakia (much tastier when its cold outside, I find).

As far as cigars go, in general I find the spicier the cigar, the more I like to smoke it in winter (Montreal winters are very very cold). Robusto's or Siglo VI's are my favs for the winter.

I also smoke both pipes and cigars. However, late spring - early fall is almost exclusively cigars, with pipes being used in the colder months. I don't smoke in the house because of my daughter's asthma, but like Patrick, the garage is mine and anything goes. I consider it my winter smoking lounge.

I do enjoy a cigar more so than a pipe, but a pipe readily accepts relights where I've seldom been successful with a cigar. So I can go out to the garage to look for something, fix something, fiddle with one of the cars or the bike, etc and have a few puffs, only to lay it down to cool and get back to it later.

boboakalfb, that's enough out of you!!!!:biggrin:

Winters aren't too bad out here. :biggrin:

:cursing:

I can always take one to the bar. I'll just have to deal with some fool with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth telling me my La Aroma de Cuba stinks.

Yeah. I'm fortunate enough to be so close to such an awesome lounge, but with a budget that has been stretched to the max and then being forced to buy a new car...and now Christmas around the corner...ugh.

Cory, I think there's only one option: negotiate with SWMBO on a 'smoking room' in your house. Promise her you'll only smoke in that particular room at set times (when she's not at home FI) and that you'll ventilate it thoroughly afterwards or whatever. No other options I'm afraid.

We've already had these negotiations and a man room is in the plans. :biggrin: The catch being that this doesn't work until we have a house. We're in a tiny apartment at the moment and I would never dream of making her put up with the smoke. (Read between the lines: she'd kick my ***. :biggrin: )

We do have a detached garage, but the ceiling is open and I wouldn't want to cause smoke damage to other peoples' property in the connected garages.

I guess it will be taking advantage of the mild days and the occasional B&M visit until that big, fat, juicy raise comes at beginning of the year...or a pay increase at any rate. :wink:

I guess it will be taking advantage of the mild days and the occasional B&M visit until that big, fat, juicy raise comes at beginning of the year...or a pay increase at any rate. :wink:

I'm hoping for one of those too, it's called winning the lottery in my case(or hell freezing over).:wink:

I wish I could help, or have only a seasonal constraint.

It used to be that I might smoke a cigar in my car (rarely due to short commutes) or would come home when it was nice and sit on the deck and relax.

Now that I have two young kids, there is no waking time (theirs) in which I have the luxury to sit and relax for the duration of a smoke, especially outside. I do not smoke indoors.

By the time they are in bed and things are wrapped up, I'm pooped and just not up to sitting out in the dark after 10PM.

Thanks for reminding me of simpler times, when only the NYC winter kept my three humidors inactive. :frown:

I've got the same issues - winter in Boston = no smoking outside, and you can't smoke in bars/restaurants here. Girlfriend doesn't like the smoke in the house, but doesn't mind pipe smoke. Therefore, I'll be getting my long awaited pipe stuffs pretty soon.

I've got the same issues - winter in Boston = no smoking outside, and you can't smoke in bars/restaurants here. Girlfriend doesn't like the smoke in the house, but doesn't mind pipe smoke. Therefore, I'll be getting my long awaited pipe stuffs pretty soon.

You can't roam the free streets of Boston while smoking?

although a man room has it's perks... I must say that when I have a nice cigar or pipe going, I generally desire to be outdoors. There is a limit of course in the case of extreme weather, (raining or snowing heavily, etc) but I just love nature when having a nice smoke. cigars can go far and anywhere, fishing, camping, hiking, snowboarding, etc... a pipe, that's more of a campsite/ porch or bench type thing for me. I also prefer to be alone or in quiet contemplation for most of those good smoke times.

Top Bottom