What's new

Chroming a safety razor?

Well this thing works like a charm, I set it on 4 first but ended in 9 position and had a much more closer shave than the one I got with my 4 bucks chinese razor.

I finally did it, I paid US$28 for the fatboy, shipping included and payed US$20 for chrome plating (I live in Chile). It's chrome plated, not nickel plated because the guy told me that the chrome would last longer and because I was curious about how it'l looks. I know some of you may think that I should have nickel plated it but in my case I was just looking for a good DE razor to shave, so this is not a blasphemy to me.:001_smile

BEFORE/AFTER

FATBOY4 by panchoskywalker, on Flickr

FATBOY3 by panchoskywalker, on Flickr

FATBOY2 by panchoskywalker, on Flickr

FATBOY1 by panchoskywalker, on Flickr

love the chrome i had mine chrome plated as well looks awesome

Hi Panchoskywalker - great looking razor!!

Do you know if the plater disassembled the razor at all or was it done without taking it apart??

There's absolutely no need to take a TTO apart to replate it. Gillette actually plated most TTO models fully assembled in the first place.

The stripping process removes all of the gunk as well as the old plating.

Best Wishes

I think they took it apart, at least that's what they said.

I finally did it, I paid US$28 for the fatboy, shipping included and payed US$20 for chrome plating (I live in Chile). It's chrome plated, not nickel plated because the guy told me that the chrome would last longer and because I was curious about how it'l looks. I know some of you may think that I should have nickel plated it but in my case I was just looking for a good DE razor to shave, so this is not a blasphemy to me.:001_smile

BEFORE/AFTER

FATBOY4 by panchoskywalker, on Flickr

FATBOY3 by panchoskywalker, on Flickr

FATBOY2 by panchoskywalker, on Flickr

FATBOY1 by panchoskywalker, on Flickr

I realize this thread is old; I came across it while researching rechroming for a Damaskeene. Wow! The results are beautiful! Awesome!

BLEACH !!??...NO ...please !...go to any barbershop in Chile,and ask them where to buy "barbicide".....Your razor does not need to be disinfected after every shave,especially if you are the only one using it. If you can't find barbicide you can use pure rubbing alcohol,or any alcoholado.Chrome is very durable,so many things other than bleach will disinfect it,even common aftershave such as bay rum or agua Florida colonia will kill germs....you can use the same chrome polish you use on automobile chrome to clean the soap scum off your razor.Use a soft tooth brush and soft cotton rags.Do not put pressure on the doors when they are open,be gentle...I actually like the bright chrome look better than nickel,and if I ever replate,I will use bright chrome as well.You really have a $200 razor now.....use this to re-color the black numbers if you wish:

Attachments

• $sharpie.jpg
    $sharpie.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 110
BLEACH !!??...NO ...please !...go to any barbershop in Chile,and ask them where to buy "barbicide".....Your razor does not need to be disinfected after every shave,especially if you are the only one using it. If you can't find barbicide you can use pure rubbing alcohol,or any alcoholado.Chrome is very durable,so many things other than bleach will disinfect it,even common aftershave such as bay rum or agua Florida colonia will kill germs....you can use the same chrome polish you use on automobile chrome to clean the soap scum off your razor.Use a soft tooth brush and soft cotton rags.Do not put pressure on the doors when they are open,be gentle...I actually like the bright chrome look better than nickel,and if I ever replate,I will use bright chrome as well.You really have a $200 razor now.....use this to re-color the black numbers if you wish:

+1 that's what I use, works like a charm.

Beautiful! Yes, bleach is a no-no. FWIW, Krona Kruiser recommended against chrome when I sent him my Fat Boy for replating, so I went with nickel, too.

. . . If you want a pretty FatBoy, get a pretty FatBoy. By the time you get a lesser one off eBay (I assume) and then send it out for replating (nickel is the right stuff), with all the shipping, total cost will likely be MORE than getting a nicer razor to begin with. I see replating as an option when you stumble across a decent mechanical razor for almost nothing at a flea market or something .... or for a razor you have happily used for years and want to replate. . . .
My Slim was in excellent shape cosmetically and mechanically. But I'd used it for 2 years: It had become a constant and reliable tool. Replating it, I thought, would make it look even nicer, and that it had sort of "earned" a refresh. I was right.

Top Bottom