What's new

Christmas Dinner eats and drinks?

I did a beef tenderloin with a from-scratch mustard/herb paste (seared a dressed tenderloin on all sides in a pan then coated the outside with the paste prior to finishing in a 450 degree oven to medium rare) turned out really nice, the sides were the usual holiday fare, potatoes, etc. On to the fun stuff

Pre-dinner white: Peter Michael 2004 Belle Cote Chardonnay
With dinner red: Beringer 1996 Private Reserve Napa Valley Cabernet

The Peter Michael was excellent, a nice minerality and very good pear scent on the nose

The Beringer I think is in a bit of a lull, it was very nice around this time last year (although this was out of a 3L bottle at my birthday so ageing is a bit different) but this year it seemed a bit "flat" or bland, still nice once it opened up in the glass a bit but not what I had hoped for. I should have bit the bullet and opened up a Harlan or something.

USDA Prime Rib (not Choice), homemade bernaise, Turkey, gravy, stuffing, creamed cauliflower, spinach braised in beef stock, macaroni and cheese from scratch.

The meal was served with a French Bordeaux the name of which I cannot recall. It was fairly decent hooch but nothing spectacular. I had planned a homemade egg nog to go with all this but was told not to bother as there were two pregnant women to be in attendence (raw egg concerns) so they got store bought. Once taste of the store bought reminded why home made is so much better. The evening was very merry spent with family and good friends.

Chris

I took the easy way out. I fed the kids, so nothing fancy. Ham, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes and cornbread. I had two pies on hand, a sweet potato pie and a lemon meringue. Both untouched. Perhaps there was too much candy in the stockings this year!

Randy

Prime Rib Roast Au Jus
Ham
"Party" Potatoes
Broccoli Salad
Green Bean cassarole
Corn Cassarole
Cranberry salad
Danish Christmas Cake
Tiramisu and Black Forest Cheesecakes
too many assorted goodies to list......and

EGGNOG !!

Following Spanish tradition, we celebrate Christmas eve dinner on the 24th.

Roast Pork- marinated with an oregano, garlic and orange sauce.
Moros y Cristianos...translation: "Moors and Christians" (a casserole where Black beans and white rice are cooked together)
Yucca or Cassava - a potato type root cooked and sauteed in a garlic, lemon and olive oil sauce.
Salads - traditional Christmas salads.
Flan - a custard like dessert.
Turron - a Spanish dessert made from almonds.
Cidra - an alcoholic bevarege made from apples (cider)
Topped off with Espresso Coffee

Even though I will eat just about anything, I prefer Chinese Food ( duh) but since my better half is latin american, we ate Puerto Rican and ,in a word fabulous! We had Pernil ( roast pork in all kinds of savory mixins) arroz con gandules ( rice with little flat beans baked with saffron and olives) potato salad with red beets, nice green salad and plenty of Sangria!! Ole!!

We had rib eye steaks from a good butcher shop (there aren't many of those around, anymore, at least where I live). A decent but not spectacular Cotes du Rhone Villages. And a simple green salad and baked potato. Very nice, quick to prepare, easy to clean up and get back to playing with our stuff!

Tim

I did the Greek thing-(pics for those who haven't had the pleasure of eating this stuff!)

Homemade falafel with pita bread and tahini
proxy.php

dolmas
proxy.php

spanakopita
proxy.php

fresh tabouli
proxy.php

and of course fresh hummus for the dipping!
proxy.php

proxy.php
"I'm...dreaming...of a Greek....Christmas...."
proxy.php

Christmas Eve at the in-laws was a cola ham (fresh ham shank brined in coke, salt, spices, garlic) roasted to skin-cracklin' perfection.

Christmas Day is the same thing I make every year - roast duck with orange glaze, accompanied by lyonnaise potatoes cooked in the duck fat. Yum.

For starters it was a Carrot-Squash-Ginger puree soup

proxy.php

For the main course we had beef tenderloin, twice baked potatos, and a spinich/sweet potato/cheese vegetable, and a puff pastery.

proxy.php

Starter: Fresh lobster salad.

Luncheon: Roast Goose with all the trimings - roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots, served with a Nicholas Feuillatte Champagne.

Pudding: Traditional Christmas Pudding and fresh cream.

Eat and then retire for the rest of the day!:biggrin:

Top Bottom