What's new

Cheese?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm partial to Velveeta - you know what they say, "Forget the cheddar, Velveeta is better!" :biggrin:

You beat me to it. How about that stuff in the spray can? Now that's some tasty cheese. Tastes great on saltines. :biggrin:

But seriously, my favorite is beer battered and deep fried cheddar cheese curds. Now we're talkin some serious fat consumption.

Speaking of cheese curds, I love fresh cheddar cheese curds right after they are salted, still warm and right out of the vat. You can't buy them like that in the store. If they don't squeak when you chew them, they are not fresh.

With most of the small cheese factories out of business these days they are harder to find. When I was a kid we had friends that owned a cheese factory and I still have fond memories of reaching in the vat and pulling out fist fulls of warm squeaky curds. Makes me want to do that Andy Griffith, "Mmm em!"

A good Stilton, of course or a nice runny and powerful
Camembert. Then, there's Stinking Bishop, but I've only found it in England.
Add a good glass of red wine ... some crackers and decent bread and it doesn't get much better.

Come to think of it, there's also a particular cheese..... every country seems to make a version of it called Basket Cheese or Natural Cheese. It's a bit like Mozzarella...but not really. It's very plain and simple but it is delicious in its own way. You can make it at home, too.

Jim

A good Stilton, of course or a nice runny and powerful
Camembert. Then, there's Stinking Bishop, but I've only found it in England.
Add a good glass of red wine ... some crackers and decent bread and it doesn't get much better.

Jim

A man after my own heart! Stilton, ripe camembert and Stinking Bishop!

I know Charlie Martell who makes the Stinking Bishop quite well as he comes along to many of our morris gigs. Since the Wallace and Gromit film, Curse of the Were Rabbit, it's a lot harder to get hold of but it's settling down again now.

It does pong a bit!

Cracking cheese, Gromit...

Gareth

Maytag Blue, which I enjoy with crackers and beer has been mentioned. My favorite day to day cheese is Queso Oaxaca, made by Bro.s Muñoz. Queso Oaxaca comes from Oaxaca Mexico, and is a fairly creamy semi-dry mozzarella style cheese. It's really great on the fresh tortillas my wife makes.
Ken
Who gained a couple pounds just thinking about it..

Manchego......nice Italian cheese and great served with Orange Blossom Honey........:thumbup:

The Spaniards will come and hunt you down :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:, but regardless, Manchego is a great cheese in all its differently-aged varieties. Munch, munch, Manchego!

Best - MM

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Stilton, Schmilton and all that jazz. I like all that stuff, you know, aged cheddar, baked brie, yadda yadda yadda. It's all great stuff.

But do you mean to tell me that with all the cheese heads from the good old Badger state that I am the only one that likes fried cheese curds? I'm talking the real ones, lots of places sell the breaded fried cheese chunks, YECK. :eek: You must have had them at the fair or some other gathering, you know, fresh cheddar cheese curds dipped in beer batter and deep fried. This is real Wisconsin food at it's best.

You don't need to worry about getting just the right wine, (whine) to enjoy fried curds. Just eat 'em and enjoy them the way they are. I love it when celebrities try them for the first time. It just amazes them that someone would take something that is generally rich and fat by nature and fry it in even more fat and then eat it. The cool thing is they love eating them.

Stilton, Schmilton and all that jazz. I like all that stuff, you know, aged cheddar, baked brie, yadda yadda yadda. It's all great stuff.

But do you mean to tell me that with all the cheese heads from the good old Badger state that I am the only one that likes fried cheese curds? I'm talking the real ones, lots of places sell the breaded fried cheese chunks, YECK. :eek: You must have had them at the fair or some other gathering, you know, fresh cheddar cheese curds dipped in beer batter and deep fried. This is real Wisconsin food at it's best.

You don't need to worry about getting just the right wine, (whine) to enjoy fried curds. Just eat 'em and enjoy them the way they are. I love it when celebrities try them for the first time. It just amazes them that someone would take something that is generally rich and fat by nature and fry it in even more fat and then eat it. The cool thing is they love eating them.

The Voice of Reason!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Since I used to sell cheese for a living (and beer!), I like rather a lot of cheese.

(For the record, we had Stinking Bishop in stock, and the shop's still open, and may still have it ... it's in Brooklyn, PM for details)

These days, not being in the biz, I tend to grab random local cheeses from VT, NH, and MA. Quebecois cheddars are also pretty spectacular when you find them, and the cheese scene in Canada is really kicking upwards as well.

Virtually anything from Neal's Yard is unbeatably delicious.

3-, 4-, and 5-year goudas .... DROOOOOL.

Real Muenster, the smelly stuff, is amazing.

Abbey cheeses, particularly washed in beer!

Anything from Cato Corner Farm, in CT.

Rolf Beeler alpine-style cheeses...

I could go on and on and on, but won't.

holy cow, that's impossible!! Nobody up-to-now mentioned the great Parmigiano? Guys, I know that outside Italy it's expensive and hard to find, but believe me it's absolutely fantastic. It's the best hard granular cheese around, still made with selected daily milks of the best quality, in 80 lbs wheels! Plenty of worderful cheese flavour, and unique delicate aftertastes of grape and milk and honey and nuts - all mixed together in a marvellous complex. In a pincer, the inferior (and very good) Grana is a perfect substitute - many unfamiliar with hard cheese can easily mistake one for the other. Alone, or with a small cracker, or over some little special honey, it's a simphony for the glutton and a solution for the diet: paper-thin slices are enough to taste very good over some small bread.
Beware of imitations, they can be another game entirely, and vary from a decent solution for your grated cheese to a total disaster.

"Well, Jim," says he, "just see the good that comes of being dainty in
your food. You've seen my snuff-box, haven't you? And you never saw me
take snuff, the reason being that in my snuff-box I carry a piece of
Parmesan cheese--a cheese made in Italy, very nutritious. Well, that's
for Ben Gunn!" - R.L. Stevenson, 'Treasure Island'.

fair point, I think the Italians make a better range of cheese than the French.

S.

holy cow, that's impossible!! Nobody up-to-now mentioned the great Parmigiano? Guys, I know that outside Italy it's expensive and hard to find, but believe me it's absolutely fantastic. It's the best hard granular cheese around, still made with selected daily milks of the best quality, in 80 lbs wheels! Plenty of worderful cheese flavour, and unique delicate aftertastes of grape and milk and honey and nuts - all mixed together in a marvellous complex. In a pincer, the inferior (and very good) Grana is a perfect substitute - many unfamiliar with hard cheese can easily mistake one for the other. Alone, or with a small cracker, or over some little special honey, it's a simphony for the glutton and a solution for the diet: paper-thin slices are enough to taste very good over some small bread.
Beware of imitations, they can be another game entirely, and vary from a decent solution for your grated cheese to a total disaster.

"Well, Jim," says he, "just see the good that comes of being dainty in
your food. You've seen my snuff-box, haven't you? And you never saw me
take snuff, the reason being that in my snuff-box I carry a piece of
Parmesan cheese--a cheese made in Italy, very nutritious. Well, that's
for Ben Gunn!" - R.L. Stevenson, 'Treasure Island'.

I make wicked grilled cheese on rye using Tilset from the havarti family but it drives the women and child folk out of the room at a run.
Strong stuff.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I make wicked grilled cheese on rye using Tilset from the havarti family but it drives the women and child folk out of the room at a run.
Strong stuff.

For grilled cheese I use sharp cheddar and shredded parmigiana. After toasting in olive oil and butter I rub each side with a large garlic half. MBW absolutely loves it.

Probably Parmigiano-Reggiano for me. I like to eat thin slices with pears, and of course as a topping or ingredient for some of my favorite Italian dishes. Also a big fan of gorganzola, Stilton (with Port), etc. This reminds me that I really need to try some more cheeses because my range of experience is fairly limited.

Top Bottom