What's new

Cheese?

holy cow, that's impossible!! Nobody up-to-now mentioned the great Parmigiano? Guys, I know that outside Italy it's expensive and hard to find, but believe me it's absolutely fantastic. It's the best hard granular cheese around, still made with selected daily milks of the best quality, in 80 lbs wheels! Plenty of worderful cheese flavour, and unique delicate aftertastes of grape and milk and honey and nuts - all mixed together in a marvellous complex. In a pincer, the inferior (and very good) Grana is a perfect substitute - many unfamiliar with hard cheese can easily mistake one for the other. Alone, or with a small cracker, or over some little special honey, it's a simphony for the glutton and a solution for the diet: paper-thin slices are enough to taste very good over some small bread.
Beware of imitations, they can be another game entirely, and vary from a decent solution for your grated cheese to a total disaster.

"Well, Jim," says he, "just see the good that comes of being dainty in
your food. You've seen my snuff-box, haven't you? And you never saw me
take snuff, the reason being that in my snuff-box I carry a piece of
Parmesan cheese--a cheese made in Italy, very nutritious. Well, that's
for Ben Gunn!" - R.L. Stevenson, 'Treasure Island'.

Agreed. The wife and I started using blocks of Parmesean(forgive the Anglo spelling) last year. What a difference! I could never go back to any of that ****e in a can. It is a pretty price. Usually 10-14 dollars U.S. per pound. It is worth every penny. It lasts so long. It only takes a few good scrapes of the cheese grater to get what you need. We will never be without it again.

Regards, Todd

Agreed. The wife and I started using blocks of Parmesean(forgive the Anglo spelling) last year. What a difference! I could never go back to any of that ****e in a can. It is a pretty price. Usually 10-14 dollars U.S. per pound. It is worth every penny. It lasts so long. It only takes a few good scrapes of the cheese grater to get what you need. We will never be without it again.

Regards, Todd

This is so true...a little goes a long way.

Don't forget about the Vermont greats....Cabot and Dakin. You can't beat their Sharp Cheddar cheeses.

Cabot's Hunter Cheddar is my favorite. Want to try their "Old School" Cheddar. Anyone tried it? A cheese maker, Smith's Country Cheese, in my town (Winchendon MA) makes a Rat Cheddar that I can't even eat it's sooooooooooo strong!

Oh and for those of you in the area The Concord Cheese Shoppe (Concord MA) is the best! I'm going to stop by there next week when I'm there for business.

John

muenster,smoked gouda-on a burger,melted brie.and the party fave-velveeta,cheddar,colby ,ro-tel,onion ,garlic and bambi burger all in a warm crock.served with chips,nachos or crusty bread.

Top Bottom