What's new

Checking in with a little story.

Hey all,

I've been wet shaving for about seven years I suppose. I was encouraged to try it out by an article that spoke more about the shaving experience and culture than the price-gouging of the cartridge world. It spoke about the way granddad did it, and slowing down to enjoy the relaxing feel of the shave, then the awesome clean feeling all day after a great shave.

I was never shown how to shave by a father figure in my teen years. I had to work it out myself, using the terrible disposable razors my mother bought for me. I fell for all of the marketing and ended up in the cartridge razor world. I had a favourite razor and blades, I was pretty good at getting the job done fast. The price of blades went up, then my handle went out of stock and I could no longer buy carts for it. You know the story.

I used an electric foil shaver for about twelve months. Cost more than $200 AUD for the device and it wasn't anywhere near the top of the line. Then I discovered that the foil would wear through in about six months instead of the twelve they had promised. This was expensive too, and the shave was worse than the cartridge razor.

After reading that article seven years ago I decided to give the double edge safety razor a shot. I went to a chain shaver shop who hooked me up with a $30 Comoy razor and a pack of Astra Superior Platinum blades. I was pretty apprehensive the first time because my face is a bit rough with acne scars and the occasional break-out.

I didn't have a brush or proper shaving soap. I went in with the shaving foam I had always used. After two passes I was done. Raw in places, rough in others, it was the best shave I had ever had...

I refined my technique over the years with hot and cold water, switched to a sensitive skin shaving gel I could lather myself, ditched after-shave, learned the razor and have been happy enough ever since. I never did get around to getting a brush. The choice was a little overwhelming. I knew there were good ones, and bad ones, super cheap and quite expensive. Badger, boar, synthetic, no idea.

All of my friends were cartridge wielding speed shavers and I never had anyone to talk to about it all. Recently I thought about stepping up my shaving game and getting a brush and some proper soap. I found an article on here by Guenron about his four pass shave. I felt like a kid sitting on the floor in front of my granddad while he dispensed wisdom upon me.

I altered my technique this morning after reading Guernon's post. Still worried about razor burn stepping up from two to four passes, I decided to do a three pass shave. I incorporated a hot towel for the first time and used the 'V' strokes with a final south-to-north stroke. This was the best shave I've had.

Now I'm ready to keep learning and keep having those "best shave ever" days. I had a poke around the forums here and really like what I saw. Its the fellowship I've been looking for all these years. So here I am, ready to learn about brushes and soaps, and ready to join the community.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome to B&B, and thank you for sharing your story. You will find a lot of information here about soaps and brushes. IMO (for what it's worth), I believe you can make great lather with any decent brush, be it boar, badger, or synthetic. It is really just a matter of learning how to use it. Personally, I prefer boar, but that does not mean it's the right one for you. I would suggest you set a price point you are comfortable paying, and look for a brush within that range. Ultimately, it is the quality of the lather that matters. Enjoy!

Welcome. Your story sounds very similar to my own.... in fact, many guys here. In my story, I went to an antique store for my first DE razor. Found a Gillette Slim and a Gillette Blue Tipped Superspeed. Been collecting vintage razors ever since. I love them. Good luck with your shaves!

Now I'm ready to keep learning and keep having those "best shave ever" days. I had a poke around the forums here and really like what I saw. Its the fellowship I've been looking for all these years. So here I am, ready to learn about brushes and soaps, and ready to join the community.

Welcome to the Badger and Blade and the Fellowship of the Razor.....and the soap, brush, blade, mug, aftershave....

Top Bottom