What's new

Cheap fountain pen paper

I'm a student and I do quite a bit of math writing. I like fountain pens, because they don't suck. I typically used to buy simple copy paper by the brick....a lot of it ends up in the trash can.

Rhodia notebooks are nice, but if this is a typical result of the type of writing you do, a higher quality copier/printer paper is probably going to be the least expensive route.

I went to Staples and checked out the HP Premium 32lb laser paper, but I didn't see any indication as to its rag content. There was a Staples brand 32lb fine laser paper that contains 25% cotton, at about the same price, so I went with that. Unfortunately I didn't notice till I bought it that it as made from 30% recycled material, and so the paper has dark specks on it. Otherwise, it's much better than cheap copy paper and my pens write a lot thinner.

I too use the 32# laser paper. Though I have not yet graduated to fountain pen, i am using rollerball pens with same tendency.

For lots of little note-taking and informal use, I like Rhodia Tablets. You can find them over at www.pendemonium.com. Pendemonium always shows at the LA Fountain Pen Show and I've bought a lot from them over the years. Nice people and good service.

You might also take a look at different inks. Some inks are much more prone to feather and bleed than others. I've mostly switched over to Noodler's inks - some of them even do well on newsprint.

Enjoy your fountains and stick with them - there is no better way to write.

+1 I have some Rhodia notebooks that were 5$ a piece and are excellent with fountain pens.

Top Bottom