What's new

Cheap fountain pen paper

I'm a student and I do quite a bit of math writing. I like fountain pens, because they don't suck. I typically used to buy simple copy paper by the brick....a lot of it ends up in the trash can. This worked well with my old finer pointed cheap pens but I got a couple desk pens at a garage sale with wider nibs and the paper really bleeds and looks ugly. I want to find a paper that writes nicely with fountain pens, but is not a fancy letter-writing paper or anything impressive, because I want it to be cheap. Any suggestions?

My friend suggests waiting a few more months of inflation and using fresh dollar bills.

The eco friendly line of papers made of sugarcane waste (bagasse) sold at staples are said to work well, but I though I read that there were changes to the paper recently, and it's not as good as it used to be.

I've found that my fountain pens write fantastically on the paper we use for our color copier at work. It is more expensive than the super-cheap copy paper, but it's not bad and available by the ream.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The eco friendly line of papers made of sugarcane waste (bagasse) sold at staples are said to work well, but I though I read that there were changes to the paper recently, and it's not as good as it used to be.

I went to restock my supply of this wonderful paper at my local Staples and was told they're not stocking it due to low sales volume.

I feel your pain with the nice pen/lousy paper combo.

I find that "thesis bond" worked very well for me. 25% rag content 20 or 24lb paper. It's the rag content that accounts for non-blotchiness.

For lots of little note-taking and informal use, I like Rhodia Tablets. You can find them over at www.pendemonium.com. Pendemonium always shows at the LA Fountain Pen Show and I've bought a lot from them over the years. Nice people and good service.

You might also take a look at different inks. Some inks are much more prone to feather and bleed than others. I've mostly switched over to Noodler's inks - some of them even do well on newsprint.

Enjoy your fountains and stick with them - there is no better way to write.

I can still find the notebooks at Staples and they also have the top tear paper that goes into portfolios and such.

I am working with a gal at a print shop to try a lot of different papers. I did a review on one on Fountainpennetwork. Which is also a great source in their paper reviews to see how paper stacks up.

Marty

The HP 32lb paper works really well.

+1 The HP premium choice laser printer paper HPU1128 is really good stuff.
Don't use any inkjet or coated papers as those make FP inks feather even more.
+1 on both of those.

I have some of the good inexpensive stuff right here in front of me:
HP Premium Choice Laser Paper 32lb​
It's a bit on the thick side, but very smooth for fountain pens. I use a Pelikan Souverän M805 with a custom BB italic nib and Private Reserve ink without any bleeding or feathering whatsoever.

+1 on both of those.

I have some of the good inexpensive stuff right here in front of me:
HP Premium Choice Laser Paper 32lb​
It's a bit on the thick side, but very smooth for fountain pens. I use a Pelikan Souverän M805 with a custom BB italic nib and Private Reserve ink without any bleeding or feathering whatsoever.

Opps. Thanks Mitch, the correct HP number is HPU1132

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I find that "thesis bond" worked very well for me. 25% rag content 20 or 24lb paper. It's the rag content that accounts for non-blotchiness.

Good idea. Any paper with a 25% rag content will do nicely. You can buy in in 400 sheet packaged fairly easily, so you avoid the mark-up of small "letter writing" packs. It's still expensive compared to 'regular' paper, but much much nicer.

My favorite paper is Rhodia and Clairefontaine. I have some Apica coming, I hear good things about it as well.

On a budget, it's hard to beat Red & Black notebooks. Available at Office Depot, fantastic fountain pen-friendly paper, very inexpensive.

Top Bottom