What's new

charcoal vs propane

Lighter fluid should all be burnt off before any meat hits the grill (if you are using the stuff).

Real men use gasoline!
:lol:

That's a joke, of course.

If you use it (lighter fluid) that is correct. But still the charcoal chimney eliminates the need.

I laughted. :biggrin:

7 oz per burger (I've found by experiment that this weight works best,) Grill temp at 500, 3 minutes per side.
Result, a perfect burger--this means with a crusty sear on the outside, and a perfectly pink interior, juicy but not runny. It doesn't get any better than this.

Very nice! My buddy who sells them teased me with some brisket he made without any baby sitting the rig! Lit the coals, covered, and walked away. He also did a Boston butt using the same method. Perfect smoke ring and tender beyond belief.

I am still in college (grad school) so a small webber works great for me. Doesn't take up too much valuable room. Cost me about $30 which is nice for a college budget. And it is fun for having a small get-together with some friends. Most importantly, it gets the job done and the food tastes great. Obviously, not everyone is in my situation so I guess you should take into account your own situation and preferences for deciding what is best.

I am still in college (grad school) so a small webber works great for me. Doesn't take up too much valuable room. Cost me about $30 which is nice for a college budget. And it is fun for having a small get-together with some friends. Most importantly, it gets the job done and the food tastes great. Obviously, not everyone is in my situation so I guess you should take into account your own situation and preferences for deciding what is best.

I would imagine that most of us, including myself, cooked many meals on a little smoky joe when at school. :smile:

Large Green Egg has arrived - one of my customers is a distributor. I'm currently making the table to house this cooker.

I would imagine that most of us, including myself, cooked many meals on a little smoky joe when at school. :smile:

Oh yeah! :yesnod: My wife and I still have, use, and love our Smokey Joe.

Large Green Egg has arrived - one of my customers is a distributor. I'm currently making the table to house this cooker.

Where abouts are you in Wisconsin? I'm about 15 minutes across the river from Minnesota and am wondering where I might be able to locate a BGE. My wife and I are grilling fanatics, so if I were ever going to get the green light on a big purchase on something that, let's face it, I don't really need*, this would probably be it.

*"don't really need" of course being highly subjective and really meaning "must have."

You can grill tasty food with an inexpensive charcoal pit, but the same is not true of a cheap gas pit. The more expensive gas grills have bars under the grate to help create flavor as the juice vaporizes on the bar. Some use ceramic coals for this purpose. A cheap gas unit will not do this, so in this case the charcoal is infinitely better. I think those that favor the expensive gas units go beyond charcoal grilling to other cooking projects and use the grills as outdoor ovens, etc.

And that's why I have both charcoal and propane, each have their advantages. I use propane for some things such as rotisserie, or quick meals during the cold months. Charcoal is used when I want that flavor added to the food. Not all foods work well that way.

Oh yeah! :yesnod: My wife and I still have, use, and love our Smokey Joe.

Where abouts are you in Wisconsin? I'm about 15 minutes across the river from Minnesota and am wondering where I might be able to locate a BGE. My wife and I are grilling fanatics, so if I were ever going to get the green light on a big purchase on something that, let's face it, I don't really need*, this would probably be it.

*"don't really need" of course being highly subjective and really meaning "must have."
Greetings Cory,

I'm located in Portage.

absolutely! I've done briskets keeping my temp at 200 F for 12 hours without adjusting a thing. I'll do some beef ribs in a few days, and I'm planning on smoking them at 150, and I anticipate absolutely no problem in maintaining that temperature.

If you want to go techie with your BGE, add The Stoker by Rock's Bar-B-Que which can monitor multiple cookers. It uses a blower on the lower draft, a temp probe for the cooker and up to three temp probes for meat. This is controlled by a unit that can connect to your LAN (either by cable or in my case a wireless bridge) and be monitored via it's internal web interface on any workstation within the house or on the Web.

The cool part is I no longer have to stay up all night baby sitting the BBQ. What used to be a weekend-only affair is now possible during the week. I put my brisket, pork, ribs etc. on before I go to bed. If a temp goes outside of my specified parameters I receive an email, using StokerLog, in which I can adjust it from a workstation or BlackBerry. I keep an eye on it while working the following day and use a ramp down feature within the software to bring the cooker down to a holding temp so when I get home it's ready to eat. One side effect is I do get strange comments from clients when I get an email from the cooker. :rolleyes:

You bet - I'll be making another run to HD this weekend. Right now I'm making a temporary table until we have some hard scape finished outside of our kitchen. At that point I'll create a more substantial home for it. We'll also be adding a small egg to expand our outdoor cooking options.

Charcoal, definitely. We have a couple charcoal grills, one is a volcano we bought many years ago, it works good for most smaller amounts we grill and is still doing fine. The second one is a newer barrel type smoker/grill combo with the fire chamber on the side that we bought at a farm supply store. It works pretty good for smoking and grilling.

I'd love to get an Big Green Egg, but haven't got to that financial position yet to be able to afford something like that. But like I've heard other people say - it'll be the last cooker that you'll need to buy or something like that.

My parents on the other hand love their gas grill, basically turn the gas on, hit the non-working lighter button, and then use the extended bic lighter to light it, let it heat up, put the meat on, try not to burn it.....
Tony

Um,

How much does a BGE actually cost? I can't find a price anywhere online... I'm new to grilling, and I want to buy a small one for me and my wife. I was thinking about a small propane, but I see that a smaller weber might be better, or if the price is right a BGE

Top Bottom