What's new

Cautionary advice when cleaning Gem Push Button Razors

I picked up a gem push button today. This one in gold. When I went to go clean it I wasn't paying attention and put it in soapy scalding water. It was too late once I realized my mistake. So I wanted to share what it will look like after if you get the handle too hot. I have a plan to try to make a replacement out of two pieces of Walnut.

20230720_151054.jpg

Attachments

• 20230720_151110.jpg
    20230720_151110.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 52
Very decent of you to share. I have 2 push button, gold and silver (or what I like to think is anyway). I would not like to suffer what you have.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm afraid I've "been there, done that" more than once -- I'm not really a one-trial learner. A few things I've tried with varying degrees of success: Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer, mineral oil, other oils. Honestly, I can't say any of it "worked" in a really satisfactorily or permanent way. Really honestly, I'm trying to remember which one was best....I was in a fog-of-war state of mind when I was collecting....every day a new razor (or batch of razors) would arrive. Now they are everywhere around the house, and I shave with maybe 6 to 8 of the triple digit number of razors I own.

If the plastic is deformed, I've got no great news there, other than to try a blow dryer and reshape the plastic and then bind it up in the shape you want using twine or cordage....once it cools, it should keep the bound shape. Anything you do is risky, so please take these ideas with a HUGE grain of salt. You may find that leaving it "as is" is your best approach. Just try to remember the lesson....I was always germaphobic, and several really nice aquisitions paid the ultimate price for my craziness.

Yeah, I boiled the life out of my first Schick Krona. Wasn’t pretty. Lesson learned. A Push Button is a good affordable option too if it comes down to buggering a razor up. The plus side - you learned by fire and will always be the better for it. If you are still out there - thanks for the post.

Top Bottom