What's new

Can shaving soaps 'go bad' or 'lose performance' if unused for long periods?

Cella turns rancid as it ages. Since I alternate soaps so often, I can't get through a tub of Cella before it goes bad. I've heard that it stays fresher if it is refrigerated.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
‘Go bad’ and ‘lose performance‘ are two different things.

Soaps have a little fat left over, called the superfat, that’s 1-5% of the original fat content. This is to ensure that the lye that is used to convert fat to soap is 100% exhausted, not to condition your Hollywood face. Can this extra fat go bad? You bet, depending on what the fat is.

Lose performance - no. Soaps that have not been used in a while can dry out and become difficult to load. MWF is a prime example.

How fast will the scent decrease in Stirling soaps. Mine are all few months old since I'm new but I keep buying more and more scents.

I try to keep a big stash of Mike’s in case he retires. I filled a drawer in my fridge. some occasionally discolor slightly on the surface, but never a rancid odor.

I can say 2:
1) tub of red Proraso.....the first I got.....and when I tried using it.....; it was NOT good despite reading all the glory.....well the color was darker and soap harder....useless.....
2) sample of Stirling....I pressed it in a nice plastic container to keep.....months later I opened to use it.... RANCID....

I think it is weird that shaving soap alone doesnt have expiration date out of so many cosmetic products.

Arko is the only shaving soap I know that has expiration date printed.
Yes, if labeled for sale in the EU it will have a Best Buy or Expiration date by law. In the US I believe it is not necessary, I can't find it on a single P&G soap.

Top Bottom