What's new

Can anyone help track down a cream?

I'm in a bind. I ordered a set of shave cream samples off Ebay. It was great to try out a slew of scents from Proraso and TOBS.

I found one in particular that I really liked, so I ordered a tube. When the tube arrived, it was nothing like the sample. I contacted the seller to see if it could have been mislabeled, etc.; and, though sympathetic, there is nothing he/she can do to identify what was truly in the jar.

I still have the sample jar with remnants of the cream. Is there anyone - CONUS - who believes he/she could identify the true shave cream by smell? I'll send it USPS if you think success is likely.

It is likely that the cream is one of the Proraso or TOBS creams only -- the seller does not offer other samples.

I'm grateful for any help -- I like the sample that much!

Cheers!
Frank

lasta

Blade Biter
Instead of sending it out, can you try to describe the scent? TOBS are usually pretty distinct.

Frank,

I am going to be Captain Obvious here, but is the sample jar white label? Or does it have any clues to what we are looking for?

Proraso has way less scents than TOBS and officially doesn’t do samples. So would TOBS be more likely what you are looking for?

Guido

What was the tube you ordered and that did not match? Might narrow it down. Also, was the consistency of that tube a match despite the fragrance being different. Could narrow it down quite a bit.

Frank,

I am going to be Captain Obvious here, but is the sample jar white label? Or does it have any clues to what we are looking for?

Proraso has way less scents than TOBS and officially doesn’t do samples. So would TOBS be more likely what you are looking for?

Guido
Good questions. Thank you.

All of this seller's sames were in identical jars with printed stickers affixed on the lid. I suspect he/she buys tubs of creams and then distributes samples from these into the sample jars, making a bit of a profit and helping folks like me try different creams. It's helpful when it works.

Given the scent of the Prorasos and the scents of the TOBS samples, I'm thinking that it is a TOBS jar with a Proraso lid..... however, I just don't know.

Thank you for your input.

What was the tube you ordered and that did not match? Might narrow it down. Also, was the consistency of that tube a match despite the fragrance being different. Could narrow it down quite a bit.
Thank you for your help. I have hesitated to share the label, but I suppose it really doesn't matter.

The label that I liked read "Proaraso Blue." When I ordered a tube of Proraso Blue (protective, with aloe & vitamin E), it was very different than the sample.

Keep in mind, as noted in another response, the sample was not official from Proraso. It came from an eBay seller, who likely ordered tubs & tubes, then repackaged them as samples so folks can try them out.

I doubt Proraso made an error in filling its tube. That's why I suspect the sample was mis-labeled.

I'm grateful for your help!

Samples smell different too. They are smaller in size, less concentrated, have been exposed to elements.

Plus, it's probably been sitting unpurchased for 6 months, drying out and airing out, loosing scent

Samples smell different too. They are smaller in size, less concentrated, have been exposed to elements.

Plus, it's probably been sitting unpurchased for 6 months, drying out and airing out, loosing scent
True. In this case, the sample had a different, but much stronger, scent than the tube I ordered. If it lost scent in its life, it was very bold to begin with.

Order another identical set/listing and match it up to the mystery one.

Also, post a pic. Sometimes people can tell by color and texture.

I've used upwards of 10 full tubes of Proraso Blue. Regardless of whether it's the one you were hoping for, it's a top notch cream.

Order another identical set/listing and match it up to the mystery one.

Also, post a pic. Sometimes people can tell by color and texture.

I've used upwards of 10 full tubes of Proraso Blue. Regardless of whether it's the one you were hoping for, it's a top notch cream.
Thank you for your effort and help.

Trust me, please - I am in no way knocking Proraso Blue. The tube I purchased performs wonderfully. I just want to find the cream that I enjoyed in that sample.

Here's a pic of that sample should anyone be able to identify by sight as you suggested:
20230618_214724.jpg

Many thanks for your assistance!

The sample seems to have that pearly nacreous shine that I've seen on a few creams (like the Body Shop's maka root cream) but not on any Prorasos I've used. Maybe it's one of the TOBS? (I don't own any of those).

The sample seems to have that pearly nacreous shine that I've seen on a few creams (like the Body Shop's maka root cream) but not on any Prorasos I've used. Maybe it's one of the TOBS? (I don't own any of those).

Hmm. I was going to say that looks to me like it could be Proraso from a tube. I often squeeze some into a small container for travel, and it looks like this. In my case, it is Proraso White, but only a sniff could confirm.

Top Bottom