What's new

Call for expert advice on straight restore

Ok, here is the razor that I got from Ebay.
I figured I'd give a restore a try as a nice project.
The pictures were kind of small and blurry.
I didn't know what was going to come out of the box, but I got attracted to it because it's a LeGrelot.

Well here it is, and what a hack job it's had.
A grinder/dremel has been used on the blade and it's all marked up. I figure a polish will fix that, so I'm not worried.
What I am worried about is the nice wavy blade. It's just nasty.
There has to be about 1/16 of an inch missing across the toe to the heel.

Not a big problem, it'll just end up a shade less than 6/8. But how do I go about fixing it?
I can get access to tools, my Dad or my brother will have most of what I need including a hone for chisels in around 1000 grit.

Looking at the edge, I'm guessing that thing is warped to the point where it is unsalvageable. From the marks on the blade I'm guessing somebody Dremel sanded the temper right out of it. Somebody more knowledgeable can tell you for sure.

i don't know much at all about temper, but i'd try to lose a bit more than 1/16... get rid of the wave, but i thought le grelots weren't large blades...

I would try fixing the edge and honing it to see if it will take an edge before putting the work into fixing the cosmetics of it.

Legion

Staff member
That wavy edge is the result of the power tool that scratched up the sides. Guaranteed. That razor is going to take a lot of effort to fix.

That wavy edge is the result of the power tool that scratched up the sides. Guaranteed. That razor is going to take a lot of effort to fix.

But is that wave solely in the plane of the spine, or does it go side to side as well? For some reason, the picture suggests that it could be deflecting a little as well. Edge on photos might be helpful.

It doesn't look as bad in real life.
I'm going to give it a go and see what comes of it.
The first step I suppose is to see if I can get an edge that is usable.
Let's see what I can do.
It might be too much for my first stab at this.
But that's Ok. I'll give me something to do.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm no expert at restoring it but my advice, even if it's a LeGrelot, I would get another one... The edge has to be honed to be straight again, the heel needs a regrind for sure.

You can't make it any worse so go at it and get some practice if nothing else.

It boggles my mind how that could have happened. This makes me think we need to start issuing licenses to people for use of power tools.

I agree with taking it to the hones and fixing the edge and finding out if it'll take and keep an edge. If it passes that, then clean it up. Would be a shame to clean it all up and make it nice only to find out it won't take an edge.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You can't make it any worse so go at it and get some practice if nothing else.

It boggles my mind how that could have happened. This makes me think we need to start issuing licenses to people for use of power tools.

Or boggles my mind that someone messed it up, knows it was messed up, and still sold on eBay with the usual blurry pictures.

Top Bottom