What's new

C.O. Bigelow vs Proraso Green

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A quick update, my friends. Next summer I should, hopefully, be visiting New York City. If the project for this journey proceeds well and I'll actually be there, I'll certainly buy some C.O. Bigelow and test it myself for the very first time. Fingers crossed.

P.S. I am also very interested in buying a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes. :cuppa:

I am actually surprised to read that there is a connection between Proroso and Bigelow. I've used both (not at the same time) and always felt sure there was a difference.

My preference has been for Biglow (.ore cushion), but maybe that was just confirmation bias.

I tried the Proraso Green and the C.O. Bigelow (COB) shaving creams a first time two years ago when I gave DE shaving a go. I loved the scent but didn’t continue using either due to the menthol (which I fortunately no longer mind, to some extent). Along the way, I found out that Proraso made COB’s cream. It is often said COB is repackaged Proraso Green. Having re-discovered and liking Proraso, I bought a tube of the COB to see how they compare.

Packaging — Proraso needs no introduction. To those unaware of COB and/or outside the US, this is C.O. Bigelow (sold in full and travel size tubes):

View attachment 1694903

Ingredients — Proraso's website and product lists are identical. COB's website and product lists are not identical. COB's website states to check product for most up to date list. The tube I have doesn't list Camphor, which is odd. I've seen the reviews online where Camphor was listed. Additionally, COB has Shea butter. Full lists at end of post.

View attachment 1694904

Scent — Identical profile. COB feels a bit more concentrated out of the tube and once lathered.

Texture/Color — COB is whiter and a touch thicker than Proraso. COB is left and Proraso is right in the following picture.

View attachment 1694905

Lather — For the same quantity out the tube, COB produces a bit more denser lather. Not a day and night different but it's observable. I am not sure if the presence of Shea butter is a contributing factor.

Performance — Overall the same but somehow the shaves were a touch closer. The difference is minimal but observable. Here again, the Shea butter may be influential.

Post-shave — Overall the same.

Conclusion — Considering the minor differences in texture/color, lather and performance, the COB shaving cream is more of a Proraso Green tweaked to COB's specifications/preferences than a repackaged Proraso Green. Since COB has Shea butter, I would extrapolate that COB is Proraso Red with the scent of the Green. If you see no difference between Proraso Red and Green in terms of performance, you likely won't see a difference between COB and Proraso Green.

What are you thoughts on COB vs Proraso Green?

==========

A FYI, that I found out while learning about the COB shaving cream: C.O. Bigelow is one of the (or the?) oldest pharmacy in the USA while a location in still standing in NYC.

It does carry a good amount of shaving goods from different brands and their own. I haven't been yet but I intend to include it in the shaving stores 'Pilgrimage' when I visit NYC next time.

View attachment 1695021
View attachment 1695024

Some good reads:

==========

C.O. Bigelow

Website: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Menthol, Camphor, Eucalyptol, Eucalyptus globulus Leaf Oil, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Sodium Metasilicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, HYdroxyehtyl-cellulose, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Geraniol, Parfum (Fragrance).

Tube: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Potassium Hydroxyde, Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Sodium Coccyl Glycinate, Menthol, Parfum, Eucalyptol, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Sodium Metasilicate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tetrasodium Glutamate Dictate, Amyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Eugenol

Proraso

Website: Aqua (Water/Eau), Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Menthol, Camphor, Eucalyptol, Eucalyptus globulus Leaf Oil, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Sodium Metasilicate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Geraniol.

Tube: Aqua (Water/Eau), Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Menthol, Camphor, Eucalyptol, Eucalyptus globulus Leaf Oil, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Sodium Metasilicate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Geraniol.
I have used C. O. Bigelow and liked it just fine. I didn't notice a lot of menthol feel or smell, but it does seem very "fresh' smelling. Lately I have been using Proraso Protective with aloe and vitamin e and I like it a LOT better. Better lather (but thinner) with both synthetic and badger brushes, and seemingly closer shaves, if that's possible. 1708881701292.png

I have used C. O. Bigelow and liked it just fine. I didn't notice a lot of menthol feel or smell, but it does seem very "fresh' smelling. Lately I have been using Proraso Protective with aloe and vitamin e and I like it a LOT better. Better lather (but thinner) with both synthetic and badger brushes, and seemingly closer shaves, if that's possible. View attachment 1802099

I've got a tube of this and the matching after-balm on a UPS truck in route. I've used the green and white in the past. Glad to hear you like this one. Looking forward to trying it.

Looks like you can still order the Co Bigelow version directly from their website. $10 for 5.2 oz. I used to buy the B1G1F from Bath and Body for years.

The Bigelow cream is made for them by Proraso. The owner Mr. Ginsberg has said so much in previous interviews (google search). He also sells Proraso items on his site. Recently I ordered a few tubes of Cypress Vetiver cream on Proraso dot com and the order was shipped from Bigelow and the paypal charge was from them as well. They appear to be the US distributor for Proraso.

Top Bottom