What's new

C&E BBB vs. Tweezerman or Other

Alright. I have been wet shaving for about three weeks now (DE for two of those). I picked up a VDH kit at Wal-Mart to get me started. So the only brush I have had experience with is the VDH Boar Hair brush. It loses a couple hairs each morning, and it is just "okay."

I am not looking to spend too much money, but I think I want to venture into the Badger Hair brushes. Ideally this could be a birthday gift from SWMBO (birthday this month!)

So on to the questions:

1. Existing Brushes: VDH Boar Hair
2. Lathery Leanings: Haven't narrowed this down yet. I currently use VDH soap and C.O. Bigelow cream.
3. What do I want?: Perhaps a little bit softer than my current brush. I certainly want something that builds a little bit better lather and transfers that lather to my face better.
4. Aesthetics: Nothing really particular here. I am open to various handles, although I want something that is fairly easy to hold/work with.
5. Budget: I would like to keep it under $40 if possible.
6. Size: Not sure. Probably medium (maybe small). I don't want anything too big.
7. Brushes that have piqued my interest: C&E BBB and Tweezerman Badger hair.
8. This will hopefully be my last brush. I have no ADs :biggrin:

I have read good things about the C&E BBB, but I can't seem to find it. The only brushes in the store or online that are $35 are the Pure Badger travel brushes. I have read on here that the BBB should be $35. Anyone have any tips on this. This morning I was looking at the Tweezerman on Amazon. For less than $15 this seems to be a good buy. What are your thoughts. Is there anything else in this price range you would recommend?

Thanks.

The C&E BBB is no longer available. You can instead purchase an Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush in medium as it is virtually the same brush. Edwin Jagger was the maker of the C&E brushes. I have never used a Tweezerman brush but I do use a C&E BBB and I like it very much.

The C and E BBB is not currently available from Crabtree and Evelyn, it seems to have been discontinued.

The brush is made by Edwin Jagger, and can be bought from many vendors selling their brushes.

I have a custom brush from Penworks, that I purchased when Tony was overstocked, and offering discounts to the board. It is a 22mm brush in Finest, and is a top performer. He has many excellent brushes in your price range. Take a look here:

Buy a Penworks Badger Brush

Also, in your price range is the Van Der Hagen Badger Brush. This brush is not advertised on their website, but if you call them directly, you can order it. It should cost about $25.00 shipped.

The Tweezerman is pretty well regarded on these boards, and an excellent choice in it's price range.

The C&E BBB is no longer available. You can instead purchase an Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush in medium as it is virtually the same brush. Edwin Jagger was the maker of the C&E brushes. I have never used a Tweezerman brush but I do use a C&E BBB and I like it very much.

Any recommendations for a CONUS vendor for the Edwin Jagger? Looking at the B&B Shopping Links, it looks like the Edwin Jagger vendors are all in the UK. I am sure there are some in the states, but I just haven't seen one with a quick look (West Coast, Classic Shaving...).

The Tweezerman brush is pretty darn good considering how cheap it is.

Will I notice a considerable difference with it over the VDH boar hair?

Also, is the EJ Best Badger worth the extra 20 bucks (or so)?

Last edited:
Will I notice a considerable difference with it over the VDH boar hair?

Also, is the EJ Best Badger worth the extra 20 bucks (or so)?

As to your first question, yes. Badger and boar are two totally different experiences.

As for your second question, possibly, but I doubt you will notice that much of a difference between the two. Personally, I have never owned a EJ Best Badger, but I'm willing to bet there's not a whole lot of difference.

B

bluefoxicy

The Tweezerman is an excellent starter brush, it's cheap and it's of decent quality. It may lose a few bristles, but I've only noticed this occasionally; for the most part it holds up well. The brush hasn't thinned and isn't dying. Taking care of the brush properly rewards you with a long-lasting brush.

In fact I have one, but I'm in the market for a $108 Shavemac that I intend to stretch for 10+ years. I mean I don't need to replace them that often, so why not? Technically blades cost me more...

I'm going to vote for the EJ, if it's a choice between that and the Tweezrman. (Reference point: I've owned both.) I would vote for the EJ as I'm confident it'll last longer. My Tweezerman fell appart after about 18-24 months of pretty sporadic use (mostly as a travel brush). I sold my EJ a while back as my tastes in brushes evolved; but, after 18-24 months of more regular use, it was in essentially new condition. For $15, I'm OK with the Tweezerman's demise; but, for $35ish, the EJ is a far more durable brush, IMHO. If you find you don't like the EJ brush, you can sell it here in about 18 minutes for close to what you paid. So, it's really not that big a gamble. That said, I hadn't considered a Rooney in best. If it's the same 3/1 brush that we all love, with best hair instead of super, I think that'd get my vote over the EJ brush.

Summary: Rooney >= EJ > Tweezerman (IMHO).

Last edited:
If I went with the Penworks, would you recommend the 20mm or 22mm? There is only a price difference of about $4. I have no idea what would be the right size, unfortunately. Thanks for the good tips. I already have more options than I thought I would.

And which is better? Best or Finest?

If I went with the Penworks, would you recommend the 20mm or 22mm? There is only a price difference of about $4. I have no idea what would be the right size, unfortunately. Thanks for the good tips. I already have more options than I thought I would.

And which is better? Best or Finest?

My Penworks brush is 22mm. It is not a huge brush, but is also not too small. The C and E BBB is a 21 mm, so the Penworks 22mm is only slightly bigger.

Based upon pricing, it would appear that the Best badger is a step up from Finest. You can confirm this with Tony to be certain.

~John~

Top Bottom