What's new

Burley, Burley, Burley...Looking for Burley/Kentucky-forward blends

Greetings folks!

I'm currently on a Burley craze, but the lack of knowledge of good Burley blends made me create this thread. I'd also be very fine with Kentucky blends. Dark Fired is also an option, but I'd prefer nutty-chocolaty and spicy ones. Va/Per/Ky or Va/Per/Bu blends that are strong in Burley/Kentucky would also be welcome.

My favorite Burley-/Ketucky-forward blends are:
- Burley Best Friend by Motzek (most favorite)
- Solani Aged Burley Flake
- Gawith & Hoggarth Kendal Dark
- G&H Kendal Kentucky
- Motzek White Twist
- G&H Va/BU Twists
- C&D Triple Play (top-3!)
....well thats pretty it..I don't know any more blends that are strong in Burley or Kentucky. Burley isn't that popular in Germany somehow...Maybe Motzeks VP Plug No. 3 which is a VA/Per/Ky (which I also love!!)

Keep in mind that I'm german and I'll be having a hard time to get blends by G&H, C&D, McClelland and alike...but feel free to post them, as I'll add them to my list of "whenever you get the chance to get them....GET 'EM!!!"-tobaccos :sailor: and I think otherwise the list of Burley-blends would be too small. We do have Samuel Gawith tho f.e.! Mac B. of course, Germains, Dunhill (which I'd rather avoid, due to pricing and its soon to be discontinued), Peterson, Rattrays, McConnell and many more just to give you an impression.

Thanks in forehand for any ideas and recommendations!

Kind regards from the Burley-blend-lacking Germany,

Deniz

C&D Old Joe Krantz, C&D Haunted Bookshop, C&D Big N Burley are all solid "go to's" for me.

For stuff that you can actually get?

Peterson: Irish Flake, Peterson's Perfect Plug, and University Flake
Mac Baren: HH Old Dark Fired, HH Bold Kentucky

My favorite burley blend (now that Wilke's Nut Brown Burley is unavailable) is MacBaren Golden Extra. It's a blend, mostly burley with some virginias and a light topping of some sort (honey from what I've heard). It's very close to Nut Brown Burley, silky-smooth and rich.

Carter Hall is also mostly burley, with more of a cocoa note. Pretty good stuff, but not as rich as Golden Extra in my opinion. A good smoke for a cob, and typically available at grocery stores.

For a true, no-frills burley, try Daughters & Ryan Two Timer. Another D&R blend you might like is Ryback, a strong burley and dark-fired blend. This is a savory blend, and has a bit of a bacony (salty-smokey) essence to my palate. I've noticed that D&R blends come rather dry and need to be hydrated before smoking.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake!

I'd also recommend Orlik Dark Kentucky, MacBaren Old Dark Fired and Bold Kentucky, G&H Dark Plug, and Peterson's Irish Flake.

I agree with the suggestions of Solani Aged Burley Flake and Peterson's University Flake. They are fantastic, but significantly harder to find.

Friends of mine ordered in the US and my score is:
- C&D Haunted Bookshop
- Sir Walter Raleigh
- Bayou Morning (no Burley, but I like my Va/Per too!)

Especially excited for Haunted Bookshop & SWR
Solani Aged Burley I havea stock of ~200g of! I love that stuff! Same goes for Bold Kentucky..love that weed too, i prefer it over Irish Flake or Old Dark Fired! University Flake is also in my bar, but its a bit too sweet for my gusto, but I love Petersons Perfect Plug, also in stock at my bar all the time! Big'N'Burley might be something..but I only like very, very little doses of Ltakia, does that match? P.H. Dark Strong is ok to me, doesn't know me off my feet tho.

Thanks for all the fine suggestions! :)

Carter Hall and Prince Albert are also on my list for US-orders to come! I think C&D offers some good Burley forward ones..considering to get Old Joe Kranz next time, but I think Haunted Bookshop is more Burley forward isnt it?

Feel free to post more, I'll look into some of the suggestions ;-) Thanks very much

Big 'N Burley barely has latakia in it. I'm not a huge latakia fan, and I still really enjoy it.

Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, and Big 'n Burley are like the three big boys of C&D's burley lineup.

Thanks for the first hand impression, Jason!
It's on my list...! I wish it was easier to get ahold of US tobaccos as you guys seem to like Burley just like me. Germany is flooded with (partly cheap, partly high quality) aromatics and 9mm-Filters..

I'll add a few blends myself to expand the collection and show you what I like in terms of Burley:
- Mac Baren Golden Blend (aka Golden Extra in the US); great All-Day, strong in Burley blend with minimal casing
- Five Brothers; said to be the strongest tobacco on earth...I find it bareable tho. No-nonsense, straigh Burley, nutty-sweet and spicy
- GLP Barbary Coast; great Burley forward blend with a minimal Sherry topping

The list is growing...yup...I'm definetly a Burley guy, even tho I like some Va/Per (preferably with Burley or even better Kentucky in it though ;-D)

Kind regards,
Deniz

Don’t forget to check out Savinelli’s Doblone de oro. Really nice coin with KenBurVaPer.

I also enjoy war horse bar and ready rubbed.

And my personal favorite is the HH Old Dark Fired.

Savinelli’s Doblone de oro

Yea, I'm eager to get my hands on it, but haven't found a tin yet! I love Curly-Cuts, Twist, Plugs and alike...so this is high on my "GET TONS OF THIS STUFF!!!"-List :001_tongu

Old Dark Fired is great, yet personally I prefer Bold Kentucky over it. Less vinegar-ish, more stout to me. Thanks for mentioning those great 'backys!

One of my favorites not mentioned yet is Rattray’s Stirling Flake. It contains Burley, Kentucky, & Virginia so it is just what you seem to be looking for. I've got about 40 tins stashed in the cellar.

Top Bottom