What's new

Bulova 214 Question

Anyone here with 214 knowledge? When I wear a watch these days it's mostly a cheap Casio or Timex. In an old jewelry box I found a 1972 Bulova watch (N2) that I probably haven't worn in 30 years. It has no crystal, no battery and no band. In checking some internet sites, it appears it's going to be expensive to get serviced. I guess my questions are: is it worth getting repaired and who's reliable? I'm guessing most local jewelers won't (or shouldn't) touch it.

Yeah, don't trust just anyone.

It will be expensive to have serviced. Whether it is worth it or not is up to you.

Is it an heirloom? Then get it working and wear it on special occasions if that's what you want.

Run a search on RR Accutrons. See if whatever they are fetching makes financial sense to have serviced.

Bob doesn't do a bad job. http://www.mybob.net/

I have an Accutron out with Boomertime. I've heard good things, but no experience yet. http://www.boomertime.com/

Best of luck. I wish I had a RR Approved Accutron in my jewelry box. :thumbup1:

Not an heirloom, but it sure is a nice looking watch. Stepfather gave it to me sometime in the late 70's when he got a new watch. Wore it for a bit until the crystal got scratched or cracked. I always had a job where watches and jewelery got beat up so I rarely wore them. Now that I'm retired I wouldn't mind having a nice watch. Thanks pz, I'll check those two sites out. I found one called accutron214.com, but it looks like he has a long waiting list.

The RR approved Accutron 214 and 218 are in high demand.

If it were mine, I'd have it repaired.

Be careful what battery you put in her. Accutrons are designed for 1.3 volts, but the battery was discontinued because of high mercury content. The commonly available 1.5 batteries may damage the watch or cause it to run fast.

Be careful what battery you put in her. Accutrons are designed for 1.3 volts, but the battery was discontinued because of high mercury content. The commonly available 1.5 batteries may damage the watch or cause it to run fast.
The first thing I did was a battery search on the internet. That's when I realized it was not going to be a simple crystal & battery replacement. The watch now has my interest and I plan to look into getting it repaired as soon as I find a place I'm comfortable with.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have 4 of the Accutrons, all are today keeping at least the original "Minute a Month" accuracy guarantee. I've had good service from John at http://www.accutrons.com/ in the past, including a 214 Railroad.

I'm not sure I would spend a lot of money to repair one. If it's just a xtl and battery that's one thing. The service life of these watches is rapidly coming to an end. parts are getting to be very difficult to find. I've had several and they have all stopped working one by one. If you have one that is working and keeping spec time you are very lucky.

I'm not sure I would spend a lot of money to repair one. If it's just a xtl and battery that's one thing. The service life of these watches is rapidly coming to an end. parts are getting to be very difficult to find. I've had several and they have all stopped working one by one. If you have one that is working and keeping spec time you are very lucky.

Mr. Spendur make a good point. These watches are highly desirable but parts are becoming scarce. I have 4 vintage electronic watches that have stopped working. My watchmaker tells me that he can't find parts for them. Good luck on getting it repaired.

There are folks who specialize in repairing these so old parts are really not a problem. They can be adjusted to used commonly available batteries without the expensive exact replacements or adapters. Crystals are pretty standard and should not be an issue. Bands are not an issue. RR accutrons are very desirable and the face/dial looks great. I would find out who can take care of it for you and do it. It will keep excellent time and looks good even now!! Get her fixed-you won't regret it if done right.

Firstly, that watch is worth more than you probably think. I would send it off to a professional like Mark Sirianni. His specialty is Bulova watches. He will evaluate your watch and tell you exactly how much it will cost you.
Here is his site http://www.watchdoctor.biz/

Thanks to all who replied. I decided to try watchdoctor first because of his price and turnaround time and shot him an email to get the ball rolling. I'll update this thread with the end result.

I've been collecting watches for many years and I've had several accutrons and my local watch repairer specializes in vintage stuff and he has probably 100 of them in his stock. The issue is because of the nature of the watch there are only 3 parts that go on these watches either the index wheel, or the coil or the tuning fork gets magnetized (and once it does it can't be demagnetized). Also parts haven't been made for these watches since the 1970s and many of the few existing parts still in their bags have deteriorated and won't function. So parts are a big deal. Ten years ago there were plenty of guys who worked on them and had the parts. There are plenty of guys who still say they work on them but if it needs parts they will sing a different tune to you.

As far as batteries go as far as I'm aware there is no adjustment on these watches to accept other batteries. I know guys keep saying there is some adjustment but I've never seen it there are no trimmers in the thing the circuit is very simple just a transistor and resistor. The 214s run crappy on the closest batteries available. Some won't run at all. The 218s and later seem to do better. I know someone came out with a battery with a resistor or capacitor attached and was selling these but I haven't seen them in quite a time now.

Back to my local guy, his stock is for parts only and he's pretty much run out and won't accept any more for service accept cleaning.

If you have one and it runs turn it off unless you are wearing it to conserve life. I have one working one left an Omega F300 and I treat it like gold.

Firstly, that watch is worth more than you probably think. I would send it off to a professional like Mark Sirianni. His specialty is Bulova watches. He will evaluate your watch and tell you exactly how much it will cost you.
Here is his site http://www.watchdoctor.biz/
I heard back from Mark. He is no longer working on any Accutrons as he doesn't have enough spare parts. I may have to rethink just how much time and money I want to invest in this project.

Restoration of vintage timepieces rarely makes monetary sense.

Ask me how I know:laugh:

For the most part, it's a labor of love. It's all about style and grace and engineering excellence in a disposable world.

I would suggest selling it so it can be someone's parts watch, if monetary value is your primary consideration.

Restoration of vintage timepieces rarely makes monetary sense.
I'm learning that. I hate when money (or lack of) gets in the way of a good plan. I like the watch so when I started this I had a $200 limit in mind to get it back in working order. Now it looks like it'll cost $250-300 before they even open it up. Until I rethink this, it's back to the watch drawer with the '69 Accutron 218 and Benrus that don't run. Thankfully I have two nice watches from the '60's that still work, in addition to a couple of daily beaters. Thanks for the input guys.

Boy things have changed in the few years since I picked up my two accutrons. They had been restored by my local watchmaker without difficulty. Mine are seem to run fine on routine batteries but I don't recall if they are 218s. If you like the look of the watch and it is not easily repaired a modern quartz movement can often be fitted into the old case. A number of years ago I wandered into a watch shop in San Francisco that specialized in that. They took watches-mechanical, quartz and early electronic that were beyond salvage but with good cases and made the substitution. It all depends on the geometry of the case and dial and the available movements.

Accutrons will gain time unless you can find mercury batts,they still make them in europe,hard to find in the states tho.
If the watch is worth repairing,there are people that supply diff gears to allow the watch to run on reg batts.

Top Bottom