What's new

Brush for soaps...

OK gents, I need some recommendations for a new brush.

The only brush I currently own is a Vulfix 2233 Super Badger. It has served me well with creams, and I like it's softness, but I'm not using my Tabac soap as much as I'd like to because it's so darn hard to get a good lather with such a floppy brush. Perhaps this new brush would be a dedicated soap brush. I only have Tabac soap, but if I can get good results from that with a new brush, I'm sure I'll experiment with other soaps. I've looked through some of the reviews, but there are so many choices I'm not sure where to start.

As far as lathering technique goes, I've been face lathering with the Tabac because I just can't get bowl lathering down for it. I always bowl lather with cream.

Ideally I would like a brush that is firmer than my Vulfix and can take the soap, while still retaining some softness on the face. I'm open to all kinds of brushes, boar, synthetic, etc. Brush aesthetics aren't terribly important, although if it looks nice I might be more tempted to buy it. :biggrin:

I really don't feel like dropping a ton of money on a brush, so let's say I'm aiming for brushes in the $40 range or cheaper. I've looked at a few Omega brushes but haven't really narrowed down the options. I'll take any manufacturer into consideration. Thanks for your help!

Face Lather Soaps and less than 40 bucks. Boar my friend. Semegue, Omega, Boreal, and Vulfix are great options. Boars rock and when they are broken in even better.

If you don't have a boar, I'd suggest a good boar as well. I have a bunch of different boars, and although I have problems with most of my soaps and creams using them, a boar just eats up Tabac! Can't think of a time I couldn't get a good lather from a boar using Tabac.

I'd give the guy at Golden nib a ring and save yourself some time and money.

I have brush from them which is a extra packed super badger grade of badger hair. It is great with soaps. It is the twin band badger hair type. His prices are exceptional for the quality he supplies and yes his brushes are every bit as good as the big names just significantly less expensive.

Mind you, the Rooney brushes are damn good as well.

I have a some knots from Tony at the golden nib and they were great value and very good for soap and face lathering (these are 18mm and relatively short lofts):

proxy.php

They have several nice Penworks brushes on sale here (also Tony's shop):

http://www.penworks.us//index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25_73

To clarify, I'd actually prefer to bowl lather with soap, the only reason I face lather is because I can't currently get a decent soap lather in a bowl.

I soap lather in the wooden bowl that comes with the soap.

It takes a few goes to get the soap going, but I always get rich long lasting lather from just about any tripple milled soap.

If it won't lather for me at least, the maker has put the wrong label on the soap.

+1 to the idea of the do it yourself brush restoration. If you are at all handy and have a drill getting the old knot out of the handle is no biggie (15-20 mins). Buy a proper size knot from Golden Nib and glue it in. I have a Made Rite that I did this on with a 22mm Finest Badger, awesome brush, probably got $25 invested and maybe 30 mins of time. The end product is a brush that it it had a Rooney label would be $125.

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.

The knots available from the Golden Nib seem intriguing but I think I'll save that for the next time my SBAD kicks in. :a23:

I'm leaning towards a boar brush. I'm looking at an Omega 11137 and a Vulfix VS/3. Any opinions on either?

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.

The knots available from the Golden Nib seem intriguing but I think I'll save that for the next time my SBAD kicks in. :a23:

I'm leaning towards a boar brush. I'm looking at an Omega 11137 and a Vulfix VS/3. Any opinions on either?

You can read my review on the VS/1. Should be somewhat similar although the 3 is bigger.

Hi,

When I use soaps I press the brush together by not holding it as usual but by holding it lower, at the hairs just under the knob, pressing the hairs together. In this way you get a stiffer brush when loading it. I think I saw this in a Mantic video, it works realy good.

/Alexander

Top Bottom