What's new

Breaking In a New Strop

Hello. I have purchased my first strop, the "Premium IV English Bridle" strop (3-inch) from Straight Razor Designs. I picked this because the description states that it is "treated specifically to enhance its draw" and "it needs no other treatment." Nonetheless, the strop feels stiff and I am having some difficulty ensuring that the entire blade edge is contacting the leather. There seems to be very little draw. I'm sure it will break in with time, but I am curious whether helping the process along is a good idea, especially since I'm new at this. I have read about the many options: hand rubbing; neatsfoot oil; dressing (such as Fromm); rubbing with a glass bottle; mink oil; leather conditioner; shaving soap lather (such as Williams); and I'm sure the list goes on. I would like to increase the draw so that I can use it more easily, being new at this. I've nicked it enough already.

I need some practical advice. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

I'm not familiar with this strop but I would start with just hand rubbing. Before you strop your razor you can run your hand up and down the strop which will warm the leather and increase the suppleness. However being so new you should explain your technique to us as this is typically the problem when we were new.

I'm not familiar with this strop but I would start with just hand rubbing. Before you strop your razor you can run your hand up and down the strop which will warm the leather and increase the suppleness. However being so new you should explain your technique to us as this is typically the problem when we were new.
Thank you. I'll explain my technique (or probably lack thereof) as best I can. I have tried holding the razor (Dovo 5/8, full hollow ground) two ways. First, I hold the razor shank and scales between my fingertips on my right hand, while holding the strop with my left hand. I try to basically use my hand to balance the razor while applying no additional pressure. I have been careful to go slowly. Using this method, the entire blade edge didn't seem to contact the strop and there was very little, if any, draw.

So, I tried holding the razor in the same manner, but placed my index finger on the blade, near the heal, to apply light pressure. This seemed to help very slightly, but still very little draw.

I can use the first method on the "rock hard" wool with success. Not so on the strop, however. Thank you again for your time.

You shouldn't be applying any pressure but a firm grasp of the razor is needed to keep the razor even on the strop. If place the strop on the side of a flat surface such as a counter or table, it will give you a nice flat surface to work with that won't move. How destroyed is your strop and have you read Joel's guide in the straight razor section?

You shouldn't be applying any pressure but a firm grasp of the razor is needed to keep the razor even on the strop. If place the strop on the side of a flat surface such as a counter or table, it will give you a nice flat surface to work with that won't move. How destroyed is your strop and have you read Joel's guide in the straight razor section?
Regarding the condition of the strop (purchased new), there is one small nick at the handle end where a piece of the leather actually came off (about the size of a nail head). At the opposite end, there are about 5 very small nicks. These are at the very end, and I can easily avoid them by not stroping to the very end. I found I was causing these nicks by stoping to the end which caused the spine to bump the hardware/leather which holds the strop, and that would cause the razor to stop and the blade to nick the leather. Hard to explain in words.

I haven't read Joel's guide. I will look for it and read. Thanks for the advice on laying the strop flat, I will give that a try. Do you recommend giving that a try before applying any dressing to the strop? Also, is there any disadvantage to applying dressing?

Most strop maker suggest just using your hand to condition. If you use neetsfoot oil or any leather conditioner you may alter the draw of the leather. Sometimes this is what people want to do. Your strop is still very new so I would suggest not to add anything yet. You can hold it while watching tv and rub the leather with you hands to slowly condition it.

You could try breaking it in like a new weightlifting belt. Just bend it in your hands. Might not want to go as extreme as you would for a big belt like that, but just bend it around (without creasing the leather of course) until it starts to soften up a bit.

Legion

Staff member
I have an English bridle that was made by a different maker to yours and I found it to be the same. What I did was hand rub it every day and just about every time I walked past it. It never really ended up softening that much and it has been put aside now in favor of strops with more supple leather.

I have an English bridle that was made by a different maker to yours and I found it to be the same. What I did was hand rub it every day and just about every time I walked past it. It never really ended up softening that much and it has been put aside now in favor of strops with more supple leather.
Thank you. The vendor I used sells replacement leather which easily bolts back on to the strop hardware, at less than half the price of a new strop. You can purchase a variety of leather. I'll try the hand rubbing for awhile, and if that doesn't do it, I'll try a softer leather replacement. I appreciate your help.

Thank you. The vendor I used sells replacement leather which easily bolts back on to the strop hardware, at less than half the price of a new strop. You can purchase a variety of leather. I'll try the hand rubbing for awhile, and if that doesn't do it, I'll try a softer leather replacement. I appreciate your help.

What vendor did you use? I like the fact that you can purchase just the replacement leather...

What vendor did you use? I like the fact that you can purchase just the replacement leather...
Sorry for the late reply. It's www.StraightRazorDesigns.com. Owned by Lynn Abrams and Don Adleman. They have a store in Medina, Ohio which I have visited-Don is very helpful. I have purchased online from them and the shipping was quick, and the products were very well packaged to prevent damage.

There are some leathers that are just stiff and hard and that's just the way it is. As long as it's a quality strop it should not matter, it will do the job and draw is just a physical characteristic which has nothing to do with the stropping result.

I have a Latigo which is plenty stiff but it still works great, actually just as good as some strops that are soft as butter.

Top Bottom