What's new

bought a g5c brush

does anyone have any experience with this newly released knot? it's supposed to splay easier than others in the g5 line. they also say it can hold water better than other synthetic brushes. give me your thoughts on this knot if you have used it. I was deciding between this and a synbad fan knot. I ended up getting the g5c brush.

I have an APShave Co. 26mm G5C brush and it's really quite a monster lather builder. The tips are extra soft and it has decent backbone. It doesn't have the scrub of my Omega Boar, but it still feels good. It took a few lathers for the knot to splay easier, but not many.

If I have any complaints about the knot it is that I (this is on me) find the 26mm knot a tad too big. A 24mm would probably been right where it needed to be for my needs. The other complaint is that it tends to fling soap all over the place since it gives up the lather so easily. This isn't an issue when bowl lathering, but I find face lathering a different story.

I have an APShave Co. 26mm G5C brush and it's really quite a monster lather builder. The tips are extra soft and it has decent backbone. It doesn't have the scrub of my Omega Boar, but it still feels good. It took a few lathers for the knot to splay easier, but not many.

If I have any complaints about the knot it is that I (this is on me) find the 26mm knot a tad too big. A 24mm would probably been right where it needed to be for my needs. The other complaint is that it tends to fling soap all over the place since it gives up the lather so easily. This isn't an issue when bowl lathering, but I find face lathering a different story.
I bought a 26mm g5c brush with a loft of 52mm. is a loft of 52mm good or bad for a 26mm g5c knot? does a loft of 52mm mean more backbone or less for a g5c knot? what are the pros/cons of having a 52mm loft for a 26mm g5c knot?

I have the G5C, G5A, and the STF. The G5C is scrubbier. I had Andrew set the knot out as far as he could so I am able to splay the brush easier. I won't say it splays easier, except that Andrew set the knot out further. It has good backbone, but not too much. I find the G5A just about the same and it splays well for me. A lot of that is the height at which the knot is set. The STF splays the easiest and is softer while still having good backbone.

The G5C and A hold water about the same. They are very good, but I think the STF is a lot better in this regard. Sometimes the G5C won't let the lather go so I have to squeeze it out a little and pick it up with the brush and keep going. I never have to do that with the STF.

Having said that, these three are my favorite knots and I like all of them better than any other synthetic, boar, or badger. Just my take on it.

I bought a 26mm g5c brush with a loft of 52mm. is a loft of 52mm good or bad for a 26mm g5c knot? does a loft of 52mm mean more backbone or less for a g5c knot? what are the pros/cons of having a 52mm loft for a 26mm g5c knot?

Unfortunately I'm not up to speed on the differences of loft heights so I can't really help you there. There are member here that can though. Someone may chime in.

This may be a Captain Obvious/look-it-up question...

Other than knots, are there any G5C complete brushes in 21 or 22 size available anywhere?

I'm looking to compare it to my much-appreciated Muhle STF.

The G5C being a fan would probably work okay at 52mm, but I had no problem with it being set at 54mm. It will have great presence on the face at either. I agree that the STF will release lather better than most knots.

This may be a Captain Obvious/look-it-up question...

Other than knots, are there any G5C complete brushes in 21 or 22 size available anywhere?

I'm looking to compare it to my much-appreciated Muhle STF.
APShaveCo does not list a 22mm G5C separately in its G5 knot catalog, however if you go through their handle selections of 20-22mm knots, it lets you choose a 22mm G5C. I've asked about this and not gotten a response yet.

The G5C being a fan would probably work okay at 52mm, but I had no problem with it being set at 54mm. It will have great presence on the face at either. I agree that the STF will release lather better than most knots.
if you set it at 52mm, it will still be able to splay easily correct and it will have more backbone than say if you set the g5c knot to higher than 52mm correct?

if you set it at 52mm, it will still be able to splay easily correct and it will have more backbone than say if you set the g5c knot to higher than 52mm correct?
A fan set to that lower loft will be firmer and less floppy, and will still splay, but I'm not certain how close to comfort and performance limits you're getting with that fiber. My familiarity was with the 26mm G5C set at 54mm and it had excellent splay and backbone. I think in general these things work best with a little more loft, but you can confirm by asking Andrew at APShaveCo his recommendations.

Andrew says that the G5B has a lot more backbone than either the G5A or G5C and I seem to remember from somewhere that the tips are not quite as soft, but still good.

I have a 26mm I installed in a handle from AKAbrushworx and really enjoy it from the two uses I've had with it. Makes a lather very quickly and efficiently, and easily holds enough for a 2 pass shave. It offers some nice scrub, but not quite like a boar knot. I am unsure what height I set it at, I simply put it in where I felt it looked good and have no complaints. Just installed a second one today in a handle from Grizzly Bay and put it a few mm's lower as it fit the opening (27.4mm's when I used the caliper) much better. Will post photos once it is dry as I have an elastic holding the bristles closed.

28-Nov-2023 002.jpg

Top Bottom