What's new

Birth Razor

Im sure that each of us would like to find a razor to use that stems from our birth year. I have two years Im curious about

1985 (being my birth year)
1957 (my fathers)

What can you guys tell me about what would be good razors from those years?

For you, super adjustable or black handled superspeed. There are others too.

For your father, if you want really pricey, the toggle was for sale christmas of 57. Or a red tip, blue tip, or reg. flare tip superspeed.

I'm a fan of vintage Gillettes and IMO the '57 Superspeed would be a very nice razor. I have a '54, which is my birth year. It's a fine shaver and, AFAIK, the '57 is identical.

Good luck.

I'm a fan of vintage Gillettes and IMO the '57 Superspeed would be a very nice razor. I have a '54, which is my birth year. It's a fine shaver and, AFAIK, the '57 is identical.

Good luck.

Interesting, you have a choice. They made both 40's style and 50's style that year (all year).

Mine is a D4 Fat Boy. 4th quarter 1958.

I'm watching for a "70" razor myself, P code I believe it is. Don't believe there's much selection available after the grand ole 60's.

I bid on a 1957 Super Speed, my birth year, but it was apparently in very good condition and I was outbid. Then I figured that I already had a 1956, which was close enough. But I wouldn't think you'd go far wrong with an SS. And didn't they continue to make them until 1986?

For you, super adjustable or black handled superspeed. There are others too.

For your father, if you want really pricey, the toggle was for sale christmas of 57. Or a red tip, blue tip, or reg. flare tip superspeed.

Right on the super adjustable and Super Speed. But I think the Toggle was only made in 1960. All else for 1957 should apply.

Ah, there's still acouple of choices for 1970.

The Knack
Superspeed - Black Handle
Black Slim - Short Black Handle
Super Adjustable - Long Black Handle

I'm watching for a "70" razor myself, P code I believe it is. Don't believe there's much selection available after the grand ole 60's.

can anyone give me some pointers for a 3rd quarter 77? from what i understand, the code should be X-3 but what models would it cover?

thanks.

Last edited:
I think The Knack production stopped in 76 so you are left with;

Superspeed - Black Handle
Black Slim - Short Black Handle
Super Adjustable - Long Black Handle

Also, the Super Adjustable was all metal up to and including 1976 and "gained" a plastic base plate from 1977.

I'm not sure if both the short and long black handles were concurrently available right up until the end.

Others might know.

DF

black handle Super-Speed with aluminum part on the handle under the head:

proxy.php

Top Bottom