What's new

Big Green Egg? and its cousin the lil brown Egg

Update! Sorry the pics took so long.
First up, the pork butt, check out that ring!
The other is the chicken I did, after 7 hours, it was so juicy and tender!

That bird is lovely! How's the skin? I think that the higher temperatures that I use render it too dark and inedible, but that looks delicious.

That bird is lovely! How's the skin? I think that the higher temperatures that I use render it too dark and inedible, but that looks delicious.

It was only slightly crispy(got soggy after it cooled, and went in the fridge) but oh so delicious.

Experimented with King Salmon the other day, soy sauce and brown sugar marinade overnight.
Left it on a bit too long, but tasted great.

Today, experimenting more.
3 types of fish, and a half rack of pork spare ribs(bone in)
The three fish are Atlantic Salmon(very greasy) Black Cod, and Chilean Sea Bass (super greasy)
All three were marinated in brown sugar soy sauce, with some dill, ginger and mustard(powder) added in, marinated for 24 hours.
The King Salmon stuck pretty good last time, so this time I put them on parchment paper.

The ribs, got a dry rub of Pappy's.

All went on about 10 minutes ago, this time I will watch carefully.

Last edited:
Update! Sorry the pics took so long.
First up, the pork butt, check out that ring!
The other is the chicken I did, after 7 hours, it was so juicy and tender!

OMG the fat even looks cold . I hope you are not serving some children this dish . Uncooked meats are a sure trip to the Emergency Room .

Nice well done on the chicken . Is this a new creole dish ? :smile:

cityjim

OMG the fat even looks cold . I hope you are not serving some children this dish . Uncooked meats are a sure trip to the Emergency Room .

Nice well done on the chicken . Is this a new creole dish ? :smile:

cityjim
Actually, that was taken the next day when I was slicing it up for lunch meat.
So the fat was cold. :lol:

While I was at a local garden supply store near me today, I noticed that they had the Big Green Egg for sale there! The one in the simple stand with a couple of wing shelves was priced at $795, and they also had bags of the fuel for $19.95. Man, do I want one!

I got mine at and Eggfest in Waldorf MD in 2006 we cook year round on it

They demo cook for the day and the price is lower

The mini is great

I got one because my Dad had a kamado for 20 years and an Egg for 12 years

Some times on craigs list you will find them too

I want the XXL

What size was it Jon? There are a few different ones, I want a Mini egg for quick dinners.

I think that it is the standard size. They also had a Mini Egg that I didn't price, along with an Egg nested in the cart.

I think that it is the standard size. They also had a Mini Egg that I didn't price, along with an Egg nested in the cart.

Also, how big was that bag of charcoal? $20 seems a bit high. Check the reviews on The Naked Whiz to see if there's a cheaper brand that is of acceptable quality available in your area. I mail-ordered some Wicked Good once, and that was quite nice.

Also, how big was that bag of charcoal? $20 seems a bit high. Check the reviews on The Naked Whiz to see if there's a cheaper brand that is of acceptable quality available in your area. I mail-ordered some Wicked Good once, and that was quite nice.

+1

My BGE salesman had the actual BGE lump coal for $18 (20 lb). While the BGE brand is quite good (forget who makes it for them) I found 3 other places that sell good lump once I started paying attention. Lazzari misquite for $14 (20 lbs) and (US) Mali for $6 (10 lbs)

The Nakedwhiz was the first place I checked :)

I always thought those mini eggs would be nice for camping.

This thread brings back memories from when I tried the flower pot smoker. I made some good food with it, but I always had a problem with the hot plates crapping out on me in the middle of cooking. I cannot tell you how many hotplates I went through.

Eventually, I graduated to the Chargriller smokin' pro, with the side smoke box. I love it and it works like a charm. I did more grilling than smoking this season, but a made a couple nice pork shoulders.

For charcoal, I pretty much swear by Royal Oak Hard wood charcoal, which I can usually find for $4-$6/ 10lb bag. I can usually get 5-6hrs of good steady temp out of a bag.

And I am absolutely jealous of anyone with a BGE. One day I'll put out the cash for one, but for now I am happy with the chargriller.

Top Bottom