What's new

Big Brother is watching YOU (sadly, even on B&B).

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Plain and simple - There's a trade off.
Visit web sites and run the risk of data collection, or don't.
"Necessary" data is a pretty relative term. Necessary by whose standard? Necessary for what?
In this day and age anyone who thinks they can avoid data collection without going completely off grid and living in a cave in the wilderness is naive.
There's a price to be paid for everything we do. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Going to a website to complain about data collection is the pinnacle of absurd.
Anyone seriously concerned about privacy should not visit websites.
Please.
Please...
Find another hobby. Stop logging in. Put on a tinfoil hat or wrap your house in a Faraday Cage.
We've pretty much beat this topic into the ground.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Gentlemen, this is becoming absurd.

If feedback of the site is so unpalatable, why have a feedback section to the forum?

If wanting to manage privacy is so ludicrous, why have a button (albeit disfunctional) that should let you do just that?

I appreciate I may be skating on thin ice here, but I think that those who have expressed a pro privacy attitude here, have done so courteously. To go at them so disparagingly, and indeed to tell them to go and get another hobby, seems wholy disproportionate and unnecessary.

We manage every other disagreement here with far more decorum than this. Why can our typical gentlemanly conduct not spill into this thread too?

I am well aware of other digital risks elsewhere, and I manage them accordingly. I can only manage this one partially, as a legally required button doesn't work. Those who think it should work, should not be belittled by the very people who are here to prevent such conduct between members. Those who think it isn't necessary, please remember how well we handle other differences of opinion here.

Deep breaths all round please.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Gentlemen, this is becoming absurd.

If feedback of the site is so unpalatable, why have a feedback section to the forum?

If wanting to manage privacy is so ludicrous, why have a button (albeit disfunctional) that should let you do just that?

I appreciate I may be skating on thin ice here, but I think that those who have expressed a pro privacy attitude here, have done so courteously. To go at them so disparagingly, and indeed to tell them to go and get another hobby, seems wholy disproportionate and unnecessary.

We manage every other disagreement here with far more decorum than this. Why can our typical gentlemanly conduct not spill into this thread too?

I am well aware of other digital risks elsewhere, and I manage them accordingly. I can only manage this one partially, as a legally required button doesn't work. Those who think it should work, should not be belittled by the very people who are here to prevent such conduct between members. Those who think it isn't necessary, please remember how well we handle other differences of opinion here.

Deep breaths all round please.
The comment isn't addressed to people who have concerns about privacy or to people who wish to bring up subjects of concern on the site.
The issue is that the feedback forum has a tendency to turn into a rambling hodgepodge of discussion which has little to do with the post made by an OP.
Many of us on the Team have this forum on a watch list in order to address issues quickly.
It can be frustrating to have dozens of folks making posts in a watched forum that add nothing to the resolution of the issue.
I can assure you that issues raised are looked at seriously.
Looking at issues raised, and resolving the issue are two totally separate items.
We have said that we will look into correcting the issue raised by your OP.
The feedback forum is for providing feedback to the site about issues, not as a general comment forum for complaints about Society, the future of the world, and general dissatisfaction about the state of the internet.
We can work on legitimate issues raised here regarding the functionality of the site.
The discouragement is directed to those who wish to expand the discussion beyond what we, here at B&B are capable of addressing.
If someone wishes to start up a thread in the Barbershop about the general state of privacy invasion, they are welcome to.
If one wishes to turn the reporting of a technical issue into a discussion about internet privacy in general, then I sincerely suggest that they not use the internet.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The only device I use to browse B&B is my aging PC, Phil. :wink2:
Which operating system and browser?

If you are using anything other than a Linux OS and either Firefox or a "de-googled" Chromium through a VPN, you are being tracked. ;)

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The comment isn't addressed to people who have concerns about privacy or to people who wish to bring up subjects of concern on the site.
The issue is that the feedback forum has a tendency to turn into a rambling hodgepodge of discussion which has little to do with the post made by an OP.
Many of us on the Team have this forum on a watch list in order to address issues quickly.
It can be frustrating to have dozens of folks making posts in a watched forum that add nothing to the resolution of the issue.
I can assure you that issues raised are looked at seriously.
Looking at issues raised, and resolving the issue are two totally separate items.
We have said that we will look into correcting the issue raised by your OP.
The feedback forum is for providing feedback to the site about issues, not as a general comment forum for complaints about Society, the future of the world, and general dissatisfaction about the state of the internet.
We can work on legitimate issues raised here regarding the functionality of the site.
The discouragement is directed to those who wish to expand the discussion beyond what we, here at B&B are capable of addressing.
If someone wishes to start up a thread in the Barbershop about the general state of privacy invasion, they are welcome to.
If one wishes to turn the reporting of a technical issue into a discussion about internet privacy in general, then I sincerely suggest that they not use the internet.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm encouraged to hear that the functionality issue is being addressed, and as said earlier, thank you to all who invest their personal time in working to resolve such issues.

As for the rest of your response, maybe "Thank you for your feedback, we'll certainly look into the matter, and please take any wider discussion to the break room, Gentlemen", might be more helpful than "You're been here 8 years, what do you expect, if you don't like it, get off the internet". (collating more than one member's responses)

Offered as genuine site feedback, not as a wider social commentary.

There's a series on Nat Geo called Trafficked with Mariana Van Zeller. Watch the episode dealing with the dark web and stealing identities. its scary what people will do and its heartbreaking the hopelessness in the victim's faces.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Here in the EU when you visit a website you are offered two options to comply with GDPR. One is to accept all cookies and the other is to only accept necessary cookies. Are there any plans to offer these options to European users?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thank you for your reply.

I'm encouraged to hear that the functionality issue is being addressed, and as said earlier, thank you to all who invest their personal time in working to resolve such issues.

As for the rest of your response, maybe "Thank you for your feedback, we'll certainly look into the matter, and please take any wider discussion to the break room, Gentlemen", might be more helpful than "You're been here 8 years, what do you expect, if you don't like it, get off the internet". (collating more than one member's responses)

Offered as genuine site feedback, not as a wider social commentary.

In evidence, I present the post immediately following our discussion.

There's a series on Nat Geo called Trafficked with Mariana Van Zeller. Watch the episode dealing with the dark web and stealing identities. its scary what people will do and its heartbreaking the hopelessness in the victim's faces.

I rest my case.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here in the EU when you visit a website you are offered two options to comply with GDPR. One is to accept all cookies and the other is to only accept necessary cookies. Are there any plans to offer these options to European users?
That is essentially how it is supposed to be here.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Google knows how many hours I spend here on B&B... My shaving time vs. hours reading about shaving isn't admirable. ;)

All jokes aside, but a while ago I was told by a fellow member that even private messages are not very private, so he suggested that it would be a lot better if we communicate through emails. How true is that, I have no idea. Now that I think about it, I doubt that emails are 100% safe either, so.... hello FBI, CIA, Mossad, MI6, Men in Black, reptiles etc.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
All jokes aside, but a while ago I was told by a fellow member that even private messages are not very private, so he suggested that it would be a lot better if we communicate through emails. How true is that, I have no idea. Now that I think about it, I doubt that emails are 100% safe either, so.... hello FBI, CIA, Mossad, MI6, Men in Black, reptiles etc.
Email is not secure. At all. Not even.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The only 100% safe communication is face to face, mouth covered, whispered into the ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom