What's new

Big Brother is watching YOU (sadly, even on B&B).

Status
Not open for further replies.
1678451298992.png

Apparently there's no hiding place (that thing they used to call "privacy") on planet Earth any more. :crying:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
View attachment 1618695

Apparently there's no hiding place (that thing they used to call "privacy") on planet Earth any more. :crying:
You can block cookies and data collection with readily available free browser add ons.
Be advised that some of those cookies are what prevents Contributors from having to see ads.
This site is certainly no different than any other benign site which collects as little information as possible and still remain functional.
As always, what you care to tolerate is entirely up to you.
I'll bet you 3 dozen donuts that the information/data used by B&B is a heck of a lot less than the mobile device itself that you use to browse B&B!

View attachment 1618695

there is a little hope, check duckduckgo's browser extension / mobile app. it blocks trackers across all apps on android.
vivaldi browser has built in ad/tracker blocking too.
avoid google chrome at all costs. (chromium based browsers might be ok, like vivaldi)

Well, to be honest I guess it's more a "legal" obligation of provider (B&B) to notify you (or us) that they use cookies and that we're accepting that.
Most of them are purely functional, and analitics used can support backend devs to fix or upgrade web-infrastructure.
On other hand, if I'd need or want to implement some malicious code to "track" you or to analyze your desires and future purchasing "wish-lists" with goal of marketing-campain, it could be done by web-scraping your likes, topics, no need to keep "cookie" on device, you can always delete those on browser exit, but implementing py or js code to check you while typing and sending that content to third parties is the real menace. And guess what? It's not mentioned as cookie*

So... enjoy, keep yourself safe and don't worry too much

I dunno if this YouTube video is allowed here or not. If not please delete this post.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It's all part of the GDPR regs, and I welcome the first part... which is alerting us to the fifty three cookies, and eight hundred potential third parties processing the data (yes, I counted). However, the second part of the deal... the off switch to turn off all non-essential data use, doesn't appear to be working yet.

From the pop up...

Screenshot_20230310-141006.jpg

... you can go the the page with all the details...

Screenshot_20230310-140949.jpg

... but clicking on the link to configure the privacy settings just bounces me back (on multiple browsers) to that home page and first pop up. I'm sharing this so the techies can hopefully fix what is broke, and restore a bit of confidence for those of us who would like to manage our privacy a little more.

I already have browser add-ons, a VPN, and no account with the primary data harvesters, but I would still like to have that basic legal requirement to decline non-essential data use, before continuing using the site as usual. I appreciate that might be a headache for someone, but my privacy is worth more to me, than what I get from surrendering it.

Thanks in advance to all the backstage crew who work on such matters, and keep this place running safely.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We'll have IT take a look.
Till then, I strongly, in the most emphatic manner possible, suggest that anyone uncomfortable with data collection here to NOT utilize the site.
Never trust anyone to look out for your privacy in a fashion that surpasses your own ability to protect it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
18 years and now this huh?

Some of y’all already been using the site for 8 years. Now you’re worried? :lol:

Only thing different is now websites are required to tell people what they are doing via that pop up. What’d ya think was going on for the last 30 years y’all been using the internet???

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
And whoever said it above is absolutely correct - what your cell phone is taking from you is far worse. And those 100 apps you use on your phone that you agreed to their TOU to mine your cell phone data.

What do we have here? Email and bday (if you even provided that, or the correct one). That’s it. Following you around the site to see what threads you view so you can be shown a shaving cream ad or a throwing axe ad is nothing compared to what you unknowingly submit yourself to every single minute of every single day just by picking up and using your cell phone, tablet, PC, whatever other electronic device you use.

A lil pop up saying “hey we use cookies” is a blip on the radar. Small potatoes.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And whoever said it above is absolutely correct - what your cell phone is taking from you is far worse. And those 100 apps you use on your phone that you agreed to their TOU to mine your cell phone data.

What do we have here? Email and bday (if you even provided that, or the correct one). That’s it. Following you around the site to see what threads you view so you can be shown a shaving cream ad or a throwing axe ad is nothing compared to what you unknowingly submit yourself to every single minute of every single day just by picking up and using your cell phone, tablet, PC, whatever other electronic device you use.

A lil pop up saying “hey we use cookies” is a blip on the radar. Small potatoes.
My only concern is that someone, somewhere knows that I like Lilac Vegetal and could someday blackmail me with that information.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I will not allow Alexa or Siri into my home. I'm so paranoid I won't even activate the voice command feature on my Dish remote.
I've got a bit more relaxed attitude about it I suppose. I do have a Google device for Spotify playback in my bar area. Personally speaking, and not applying my circumstances to anyone else - if Google wants to listen to me tell my wife that my butt itches, I'm pretty ok with that.

this thread could get wild pretty fast, so I will try to keep my $0.02 short.
Anyone who says, "yeah, track me/listen to me/collect whatever information you want from me" should think about what the next step could be once people got used to being watched 24/7. I personally think GDPR is a good thing. Having an option to opt out or read in detail what is going to happen is a good thing.
Going a bit off topic, I am trying to degoogle our home, but it is not easy. If you are on the internet, you will be tracked by google (and facebook, and anyone whom you contact with a small number of exceptions), the only question is how much.
Fun footnote about "how little B&B collects". According to my system's statistics, the most ads and trackers were blocked on B&B, an order of magniture more than any other site I visit regularly. One reason might be that I visit B&B quite often, but let's not kid ourselves about how much tracking is done here. (the same as anywhere else.) I'm not crying, I accept it by coming to this site, just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom