What's new

Bicycle Headlight Recommendations

Starting in the new year (actually as soon as my new tires come in), I'll be starting a cycling regimen in the evenings after the kids are in bed. We have a wonderful paved levee just a mile from my house, with street lighting along the river road just below. Even though there will be very little traffic up on the levee, I'll still need a headlight for increased visibility, as well as lighting my path ahead.

A local bike shop carries these Lezyne lights, with a 300 Lumen maximum output. They seem to produce a nice beam, and I can get them on Amazon for a dollar cheaper. All the most popular stuff on Amazon seems to be stuff from China that may or may not be popular for less than ethical reasons (incentivized reviews and false accounts). Perhaps some of you experienced cyclists can provide some recommendations at a < 30$ price point?

I simply use my Fenix PD32 flashlight mounted to my bike with their Fenix Bike Mount. The bike mount is just under $13 on Amazon and will work with other brands without issue

Mounts securely and easy without tools, rotates 360 degrees to illuminate however far you wish and I can use a flashlight I already have instead of buying something single purposed

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I never did like bicycle head lights . They jiggled and flopped over.

Or the battery wore out real soon.

Go ahead and spend some money to help the economy, but I don't recommend one.

Or you could buy some cheap light to impress people by turning it on once in a while.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like mine. I think it is a Lezyne but I will check. USB chargeable. I hate buying batteries! I dont care if it flops down... it is still highly visible, but mine doesnt flop. The mount is very secure, and only vibrates a little bit due to the flex in the protective rubber lining the handlebar clamp. It unsnaps and makes a great flashlight, too. I intend to add a 48v/5v dc/dc converter to the e-bike so I can charge it from the propulsion battery, and the tail light, too. I leave the red tail light in strobe mode. Helps to keep motorists off my tail.

Those little bitty diamond-shaped LED lights that clip onto a zipper pull or keychain are nice, too. Cheap, and last a long time. They are meant to be disposable but you CAN change the battery. However, the battery costs more than a whole new light. Anyway I like an extra red one clipped to a belt loop and flashing. Very convenient because you can just reach back there and squeeze it to turn it off.

Late at night it can be a lot of fun to ride with NVGs on, and no lights at all. When the road is deserted, of course. Amazing how much wildlife you can see. Dont freewheel... pedal to keep the freewheel pawls from clicking so you are nearly silent in your approach. Gators, coons, hogs, wildcats, beavers, (Yes, there are beavers in the river. There is in fact a large colony of them on the west bank, at Marrero so I presume elsewhere on the batture, too.) nutrias, muskrats, possums, all sorts of critters, even in urban areas.

I'd deffinately recommend the Lezyne lights. When I commuted to work every day, about 15 miles each way, I used a Lezyne light. That was 300lumens and was more than enough. I nice beam with a good amount of spread, cars see it easy. Most of the time I was on lit roads but a stretch was country roads and unlit, which I never had a problem. Did that route for a few years too.

Other than that, anything rechargable. You really dont need anything brighter, nice to have but not essential.

For the rear I had the cheapest battery powered Cateye which was left on constant and a Cateye LD1100 which I had flashing. Its easier for other road users to judge how far away you are by seeing a constant and a flash, rather than a single flashing light.

Or you could buy some cheap light to impress people by turning it on once in a while.

I'm not sure you understand my need. This is a safety and visibility issue... not to impress anyone. I'll be riding at night (after 9 PM, more than likely) at least 3-4 times a week. A quality light is necessary so I don't: 1) Get hit by a car, and 2) Fall off the top of a 30-40 foot hill at 20+ MPH.

This is where natural selection comes into play I guess. Night, equals dark. Solution, lights.

I have a fairly decent 100 lumen headlight for casual and city driving, and when I hit the trails and get away from the street lights, I have a 350 lumen AA flashlight that acts like a flood light. Burns about 36 hours between battery changes.

I understand your price point, but at over 20+ mph safety is a concern. I have ridden at night with a nite ryder lumina 600 mounted on my handlebars and a 500 mounted on my helmet. Just one is plenty of light, but helmet mounted lets you look at a car for added assurance they see you.

They could go days between charges and I rode an hour each way commuting to work.

If you can swing it, I highly recommend one of those. You can never be too safe when on roads with the chance of a vehicle. I would rather be seen than hit.

Just an observation from a truck drivers perspective. I have seen LED headlights on bikes and they really standout in all types of weather and all times of day.

Firstly, good luck with the extra cycling. I know how difficult it is to fit rides in round a family.
I run a hope vision 2 but I have unlit busy roads to content with. If you're happy to look at the options from China, try one of the magicshine clones.

Dad runs one of these and its been fine so far - biggest drawback is the battery doesn't last as long as a genuine (apparently). His commute is an hour each way and it needs charging each day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S16IPXO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_FbKHwbNYX18JK

Lezyne makes some very good light. I have the Macro Drive and it is an excellent option, but much more than the $30 you want to spend.
Knogg lights are also excellent.
The one you indicated should serve your riding needs.
Be safe.

My night rides last an hour to an hour and a half, either on the trail or road/multi use path. I went with the SIGA CREE LEDs available on Amazon for a light attached to my helmet (with a zip tie!) with a battery pack in the back pocket. It is insanely bright on the dimmest of the three settings. 5000 lumens. On my handlebars I have a much weaker Blackburn light (100 Lumens?), and it may let you be seen by motorists, but it does not illuminate the road or path adequately. I first went to the LBS to check the prices on cycling specific helmet lamps and was shocked at the prices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom