What's new

Best Multi-Tool

I have a Gerber, it's kind of funny it was the, Terminator 3 model, I don't know how they thought to brand a multi-tool after a film like that, but I bought it probably 5 years ago, I was in the military and used it a lot and found it to be just great.

With something like a multi-tool, if you stick with one of the popular brands and don't buy something too cheap, you're not going to notice some massive difference in quality or performance from one to the other.

The one I have is spring-loaded which is a very good feature I think if you're using the pliers a lot.

I've got a Gerber that is about 10 years old that is great, a little loose now, but it is still a workhorse, and I have a Leatherman Wave (old model) that I prefer to the Gerber. It is a very well made tool. Both are great and have prooved to be very valuable in many situations. They ahve been everywhere from in the mountains to the beach and even in the server room or side of the road. Generally, I have the Gerber in my pack, the Leatherman on the messenger bag, and a Leatherman Micro in my left pocket. I always have one handy at all times. I also carry an additional pocket knife.

If I lost both full size multi-tools, I'd replace both with Leatherman Waves.

I have the original Leatherman and have used it for over 10 years and it is still going strong. Easy to clean, easy to sharpen and the pliers are top notch.

My Original Leatherman has held up like a champ. I've put it through hell and back and it's still going strong.

However, I really like the Kobalt brand multitool I purchased from Lowes last year. Given the price (about $10-$15) and it's function (it's got a lot of great tools attached), it's hard to beat. I keep one on my boat and another in my car.

I have a Leatherman Charge Ti, but have been issued 3 gerbers by the Army that are still brand new because I choose to use the Leatherman. Don't get me wrong the Gerbers are ok, but the Leatherman is quite a bit better. Though I wouldn't recommend the charge as I have lost the little bit kit twice. No fault of leatherman's but I just rather have the tools I need be part of the tool.

I was given a Craftsman one several years ago and it is great. Lifetime warranty of course, and well thought out.

I have a Leatherman Super Tool 200 and a Leatherman Pulse and both have been excellent tools. I have a Gerber tool as well but I am not as fond of it.

Mark

Top Bottom