What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2017

Genesee Cream Ale or Genesee Beer cannot beat the price. Tried Shiner Octoberfest and it was too IPA tasting for my unsophisticated palate

Genesee Cream Ale or Genesee Beer cannot beat the price. Tried Shiner Octoberfest and it was too IPA tasting for my unsophisticated palate

Don't blame your palate. IPA's suck. Ever wonder why Euro beers are dominated by Ales and Lagers NOT of the IPA type? Because they suck!

I can not stand IPA's and I have a highly sophisticated palate. You are in good company.

Don't blame your palate. IPA's suck. Ever wonder why Euro beers are dominated by Ales and Lagers NOT of the IPA type? Because they suck!

I can not stand IPA's and I have a highly sophisticated palate. You are in good company.

Easy there... I'm not here to start a fight but I hope your post is a joke/tongue in cheek.

Your highly sophisticated palate might prefer your beer to be more malty than hoppy but that doesn't mean IPAs suck.

You say "Euro beers are dominated by Ales and Lagers". Guess what the A in IPA stands for? Yes it's an Ale.... and I've drank plenty of IPAs in my travels through Europe. Why not? It's the English who invented the IPA - India Pale Ale (brewed for the British troops in India, hopped up to last the voyage around Africa to India).

The European beers/brewmasters are good. But the US hillbilly genius brewmasters working their a$$es off in their barns are finally getting some respect and the Europeans are now looking at the US for advancements in beer.

http://www.latitudenews.com/story/us-craft-beers-gain-fans-in-europe/

And oh... we have Jimmy Carter to thank. Practically the only good thing he did...

How Jimmy Carter Sparked the Craft Beer Revolution

I enjoy all types of beer but I prefer locally brewed, craft beers and drink different beers in different situations. After a day of lawn/yard work in 90 degree heat, I reach for an ice cold crisp pilsner. After a day of chopping wood or shoveling snow in the winter, a good porter or stout hits the spot. IPAs go well with heavy, rich food... the hoppy acidity balances the flavor.

Some people prefer Feather blades, some Super Iridium, some Derby... all a matter of what works for them and personal preference.

4361C7B6-C014-4852-89D4-07A610B46335.jpeg

Christmas Day here in Minnesota. The cold is moving in (hurts to stand outside!), my prime rib is cooking, the wife is slightly miffed at me for some unknown reason, and there's a Three Stooges marathon on Charge! TV. What better time for this?

I like Xocoveza, the regular stuff, but I wouldn't say I'm a big fan. This one is one of Stone's small batch series from 2016. Like Xocoveza, this one has a lot going on, but it's been aged in Kentucky Bourbon barrels for 6 months. Mildly sweet, no real burn, kind of smooth. 9.6 ABV. If you like Xocoveza, you'll probably enjoy this one, too.

Happy Holidays to you all... I hope everything is going well for my fellow B&Ber's!

Don

^^
It's in circulation up here; not prevalent, but it's around.

AND if you're going to have a Three Stooges marathon, you DO NOT run two or three Shemp shorts, followed with Curley Joe full length movies for the whole day! What's wrong with people!?!?:blink:

Don

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
AND if you're going to have a Three Stooges marathon, you DO NOT run two or three Shemp shorts, followed with Curley Joe full length movies for the whole day! What's wrong with people!?!?:blink:

Don[/QUOTE]

@Black Adder chewed out somebody pretty good here.

Easy there... I'm not here to start a fight but I hope your post is a joke/tongue in cheek.

Your highly sophisticated palate might prefer your beer to be more malty than hoppy but that doesn't mean IPAs suck.

You say "Euro beers are dominated by Ales and Lagers". Guess what the A in IPA stands for? Yes it's an Ale.... and I've drank plenty of IPAs in my travels through Europe. Why not? It's the English who invented the IPA - India Pale Ale (brewed for the British troops in India, hopped up to last the voyage around Africa to India).

The European beers/brewmasters are good. But the US hillbilly genius brewmasters working their a$$es off in their barns are finally getting some respect and the Europeans are now looking at the US for advancements in beer.

http://www.latitudenews.com/story/us-craft-beers-gain-fans-in-europe/

And oh... we have Jimmy Carter to thank. Practically the only good thing he did...

How Jimmy Carter Sparked the Craft Beer Revolution

I enjoy all types of beer but I prefer locally brewed, craft beers and drink different beers in different situations. After a day of lawn/yard work in 90 degree heat, I reach for an ice cold crisp pilsner. After a day of chopping wood or shoveling snow in the winter, a good porter or stout hits the spot. IPAs go well with heavy, rich food... the hoppy acidity balances the flavor.

Some people prefer Feather blades, some Super Iridium, some Derby... all a matter of what works for them and personal preference.

Mostly tongue in cheek, but IPAs are generally like Pop Music compared to Classical and Jazz. Somewhat preferred by the less knowledgeable here in the US, not preferred in more appreciative societies, like Europe. That doesn't mean they won't sell a lot. Hey, the Beatles sold some records and they were basically local hacks.

Mostly tongue in cheek, but IPAs are generally like Pop Music compared to Classical and Jazz. Somewhat preferred by the less knowledgeable here in the US, not preferred in more appreciative societies, like Europe. That doesn't mean they won't sell a lot. Hey, the Beatles sold some records and they were basically local hacks.

The IPA was a European innovation. It was a brewing method to keep beer from spoiling on the long voyage to India.

I highlighted part of your quote as a broad generalization, with no basis in facts or evidence. Honestly, this thread is to discuss beer; I'm mystified by your "IPA's suck" assertion, and your following posts where you seem to pigeonhole IPA drinkers as the hoi polloi of beer drinkers everywhere. I don't care for IPAs either; they tend to have a hoppy bitterness that I, personally, don't like, but I would never turn one down if I was offered one.

If I'm reading something into your posts that isn't there, I apologize. But your posts seem kind of pugnacious in going after a beer style that you, personally, don't like, while at the same time trying to inform everyone of why you're so right in the first place. The purpose of this thread was to share beer experiences with others... have some fun.

Don

I would say the lighter ales and pilsners are the "pop music". The Europeans push more "pop music" than anyone else. After all, it's the AB Inbev and Heineken International who sell the most mass market, yellow phizzy beer.

While I rarely drink the mass market, yellow phizz... I don't consider them bad beer. Ask any brewmaster... The lighter beers are the the most difficult to produce consistently. There's no margin of error, and no heavy flavor to hide behind. The mass market Brewers are in fact, the best in the world for the type of product they produce.

IPAs have been popular in recent years but they have been around quite some time. I enjoy them... Think I'll have me a Julius followed by a Focal Banger tonight to go with the leg of lamb my wife has in the sous vide. I guess that makes me less knowledgeable in your opinion?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FC8B3BC8-803B-4BFE-8F4A-096A6F6F87FA.jpeg
Saltwater Brewery, Delray Beach, Florida. Not sweet like Jdub’s Bell Cow milk chocolate Porter. Bitter coffee. Enjoying it. Six pack gifted me by my son at Christmas. Good boy.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
^^
It's in circulation up here; not prevalent, but it's around.

Don
Finally! Something we can all agree upon. Death to those who would bespoil a Stooges marathon with Curley Joe!

As for beer, everyone is the world's leading authority on their own opinion. You like IPAs- drink them. You don't like them, don't drink them. I have had some very famous Belgian ales that tasted like cough syrup and some simple lagers that I love. My favorites are usually stouts, but you may dislike them the way that I don't enjoy wheat beers. No sense arguing about who's right. It's not like wine, where there is a definitive answer.
I'm right. :lol:

The IPA was a European innovation. It was a brewing method to keep beer from spoiling on the long voyage to India.

I highlighted part of your quote as a broad generalization, with no basis in facts or evidence. Honestly, this thread is to discuss beer; I'm mystified by your "IPA's suck" assertion, and your following posts where you seem to pigeonhole IPA drinkers as the hoi polloi of beer drinkers everywhere. I don't care for IPAs either; they tend to have a hoppy bitterness that I, personally, don't like, but I would never turn one down if I was offered one.

If I'm reading something into your posts that isn't there, I apologize. But your posts seem kind of pugnacious in going after a beer style that you, personally, don't like, while at the same time trying to inform everyone of why you're so right in the first place. The purpose of this thread was to share beer experiences with others... have some fun.

Don
Not trying to be pugnacious. But IPAs are like bad Rap music. Sorry for the redundancy there.
Everyone has the right to do as they want and enjoy what they like. I don't want to listen to bad rap music.
I also don't want to drink super hoppy beer, even if it is flavored with all sorts of whacky stuff. The point of most IPAs seems to be to make them as upfront smack you in the face hoppy as humanely possible, while the secondary part is the flavor of the beer.
Bleh!

Top Bottom