What's new

Beef Jerky Homemade

You can also get vacuum sealers that work on special bags with a valve for the sealer and close like zip-lock bags. You can open them, reclose and vacuum again. The manufacturer says you shouldn't reuse them after putting raw meat in them, but I see no reason why not if you wash the insides properly.
Me dear old Grand Ma-Ma [may she rest in pieces] used to wash and re-use plastic bags until way past the stage they turned opaque, it takes a lot of washings b4 they turn opaque. :w00t:

mould needs moisture, if dried properly, mold can not grow? stored in fridgerator? enough salts/preservatives? from other ingredients? tough constitution? mind over matter?low salt diet?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
mould needs moisture, if dried properly, mold can not grow? stored in fridgerator? enough salts/preservatives? from other ingredients? tough constitution? mind over matter?low salt diet?

Salt kills bacteria, but not mold. Plus, if jerky is completely dehydrated, it will be as hard as a brick. So, there will be some moisture content left over in most jerky.

Salt kills bacteria, but not mold. Plus, if jerky is completely dehydrated, it will be as hard as a brick. So, there will be some moisture content left over in most jerky.
coolio ... add chlorine, that will kill mould :D
so? adding curing salts, [that stuff that's fertilizer that you don't want on you clothes or hands when goin into a airport] wont do squat for mould?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
In my limited research I’ve found you can use curing salts in the marinade which make it stable. Which add nitrites which pull more water out of the meat. But if you use a marinade heavy with sodium - like Soy sauce - you are accomplishing the same thing, especially if you plan to eat it within a couple weeks like I do.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Got some ground beef jerky going. IDK the fat % of the meat cause we got it from a local place and they didn’t mark it. I’d guess 85%, you can tell there is quite a bit. I’m not sure how this will turn out but at any rate we’ll have to eat them quick when they are done. Shouldn’t be a problem.

Some soy sauce, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and brown sugar. Mixed it all up, cut in strips, tossed it in at 165 for 4 hrs. Probably will go longer.

IMG_3653.jpeg

IMG_3652.jpeg

Top Bottom