What's new

bathroom remodel advice

So I'm doing a light bathroom remodel right now and this would be my first and its a low budget affair but I could use some feedback on a few topics:

sink counters, I have a 50" wall to wall existing counter and I'm just looking at replacing the top. I see the standard sizes now are 49" which I think would be fine with the added side splashes. Any recommendations on where to source one somewhat inexpensively? (I've done the typical home depot/lowes/menards browsing and would really like to find a solution around 300).

Cabinet doors, I tried painting them a few years ago and that did not go well. Any recommendations on where to go to source new ones (nothing fancy and the color needed is high gloss white)

floor tiles, I have tiny subwayish tiles currently and keeping the grout clean is a nightmare. I would love much larger tiles but I know I would have to level the cement flooring a bit. Is that hard to DIY??

Habitat for Humanity has stores where they sell building supplies on the cheap. I guess it's either leftover product from builds, or donations from contractors, etc. Check their website and see if there's a location near you - my understanding is that you have to go often b/c they are constantly getting new merchandise.

Maybe install duel sinks, his and hers. when we were looking at houses and condos, that was a big deal for SWMBO.

sink counters, I have a 50" wall to wall existing counter and I'm just looking at replacing the top. I see the standard sizes now are 49" which I think would be fine with the added side splashes. Any recommendations on where to source one somewhat inexpensively? (I've done the typical home depot/lowes/menards browsing and would really like to find a solution around 300).
We've got a granite and marble store in Columbus that has pre-made drop in marble and granite made from remnants of custom orders. They run $180ish with dual undermounted sinks. I'd look around your area and see if you can find anything like that. We did a small sink in our powder room on the first floor with a Home Depot kit and it was SUPER easy and less than $150.

floor tiles, I have tiny subwayish tiles currently and keeping the grout clean is a nightmare. I would love much larger tiles but I know I would have to level the cement flooring a bit. Is that hard to DIY??
It's not terribly hard, but it can be MURDER on your knees. I did this in our last house and I was S.O.R.E. Invest in good knee protection and you should be fine - assuming you like demo. :)

Good luck! Pictures before, during and after!!

Maybe install duel sinks, his and hers. when we were looking at houses and condos, that was a big deal for SWMBO.

While I agree, I do have a second sink/prep area right next to the actual bathroom so its not that big of a deal.

I got the replacement tile, and I think my parents are getting me a new counter for my birthday (tomorrow). Also I found 2 cabinet doors that work in my dad's basement (said he bought them 20 years ago). So I got a good start on things and plan on starting to rip up the existing tile next week.

So ya, I'll keep you guys posted and start posting some pics.

I appreciate the feedback guys!

so pics. heres what I am starting with.

now I would like to replace the light bar fixture and mirror and such but I've learned my lesson in home remodling by not committing expense wise to too much, so at the moment, the light bar was resprayed high gloss white as well as the side cabinets. (unfortunately it is slow going as its rustolium so proper proceedure means I can only lay one coat a week and at 3 coats I am half way done... ya I'm anal with paint)

also this is my ONLY bathroom so I really need to keep it usable (and semi presentable) while I work on it.

well I didnt get the counter I wanted so I'll have to pick that up this week.

I started pulling up a section of tile today... ya I am definitely going to need to relevel the floor. I bought the full amount of tile that I need and transported that home today (tallied 200, I somehow thought it would be much less but oh well, thats not bad)... I'll get some pics when I unpack them.

The painting of the cabinets has been slow going as the bugs outside are already swarming.

A paint scraper and a toy hammer?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Sorry.

lol.

Why don't you just go rent the proper tool for the job. You would be done in an hour.

Yeah you definitely need the right tools for the job. Makes doing things much easier. I always dislike doing repair jobs over at my in laws because they have like one screwdriver, an adjustable wrench, and a worn out pair of pliers. So I have to bring my own tool box with nice tools in it.

Yeah you definitely need the right tools for the job.

I have much larger tools, but it simply wasn't getting tiles up cleanly (works great with larger tiles). And that is not a toy hammer, thats a solid steel shaft and quite heavy.

Besides, I have nothing but time (and the need for a good workout), What I don't have is a lot of money. The end result will be the same.

tile is up... took about 4 hours total. I have the mortar on hand as well as the trowel and tile saw and everything else. I'm going to begin laying it on saturday. Also I am picking up a few more boxes of tile and am going to start on the kitchen immediately afterwards.

Top Bottom