What's new

Basic wood tool question

I've been meaning to go to the hardware store to ask this question, but perhaps someone at B&B can help me. I'm pretty much totally NOT handy.

Some time ago I bought some 1/2" plywood to serve as a bed base for our Tempurpedic mattresses.

There was a couple pieces of scrap left over from the cuts done at Home Depot and since I paint as a hobby, I kept them to paint on.

The problem is that I need to cut them down to size. I don't have any wood tools and I am a renter, so I don't want to make any big investments. Like a good suburbanite I don't know any of my neighbors LOL.

So I have to make just a few cuts. I have a large 4x5 piece to cut into quarters and a couple of 1x3 pieces to cut into thirds.

How can I do this with the least expense and best results? I've heard that cutting plywood with a circular saw can mangle it unless you tape the cut line. Perhaps it only tears up one side and I can use the other for painting.

I really don't feel like buying a power tool that I won't use again. I guess I could rent one. Would a regular old hand saw work, or is that crazy?

I only ever use my electric jigsaw for curves - I'll always use a hand saw in preference for straight cuts, regardless of the wood being cut - I blame my dad for that.

Handsaw won't work well...Plywood has cross grain....It'll take a really good hand saw in good hands..Borrow a skillsaw from a friend.....

You'll need a circular saw (aka SkilSaw, a trademark of the company that first marketed the tool.)

Use a fairly fine-toothed blade labeled 'plywood & paneling,' and you should be able to make a nice, clean cut. If you're not experienced with a circular saw--make sure the sheet is well supported, so the blade doesn't bind as you cut, and watch out for the cord, and your fingers.

Guy next door more or less has a shop in his garage, but he's rather unfriendly, so I've hesitated from asking him.

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I can pick up a circular saw. I'll check for rentals but the local United Rentals doesn't rent circular saws. It looks like finish blades, 60 tooth, cost almost as much as a low-end saw.

Guy next door more or less has a shop in his garage, but he's rather unfriendly, so I've hesitated from asking him.

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I can pick up a circular saw. I'll check for rentals but the local United Rentals doesn't rent circular saws. It looks like finish blades, 60 tooth, cost almost as much as a low-end saw.

The saw and blade rental would most likely cost more than the value of the wood.

I have worked with wood and my hands for years. If I were you I would look into a battery powered set. Saw, screw gun/ drill charger and add a panal blade. It will run you around 225.00 but it will last you forever seeing you don't use it much.

Or a couple good cold brews and a walk to the neighbors....

Ask a neighbor to cut or if you can borrow some tools.

You can always buy another piece of plywood from HD and have them cut it. Usually the first 6 or so cuts are free.

Ask a neighbor to cut or if you can borrow some tools.

You can always buy another piece of plywood from HD and have them cut it. Usually the first 6 or so cuts are free.

Some cuts are free but there is a limit to the size. The 1x3 cut into thirds is to small for their panal jig.

I would find a lumber yard that does mill work as they are set up for those type of cuts. In the event you don't have one in your area look for a cabinet shop. Most of the shops I sell to would do it for next to nothing, however call them first and tell them what you want.The shops have table saws and panel saws so the cuts will be square.

Top Bottom