What's new

basic honing setup

I would like to know your opinion on a good honing set-up.

Thanks

What's your budget?

A DMT 8K, and a finishing stone would be good/cheap. Say you get a Chinese 12K (you'll need to lap it) - you'd have an outstanding setup.

Thanks Joel, what does that go for and here can i get it. Also what do you think about the Norton 4k/8k

Thanks Joel, what does that go for and here can i get it. Also what do you think about the Norton 4k/8k

There's some good discussion in the honing sections of this guide. There's a section just for the 4k/8k, and Joel wrote the guide, so you can read his thoughts there. Feel free to add to the discussions. :smile: I refer to that guide all the time.

You can get DMT 8K's here. Norton's are decent, however they have to be flattened often, must be soaked for 15-20 minutes prior to use EVERY time, and at least for me don't work as well as the DMT 8K. The DMT is diamond - cuts incredibly fast, yet leaves a finer edge than the 8K side of the norton.... and you never have to flatten the DMT.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the DMT however I wouldn't give such short advice on the Norton. The fact is the Norton is considered to be the standard in straight maintainance and probably 90% of straight shavers use it.

Top Bottom