What's new

Barbasol razor info thread. Any info and pics posted here.

Newly acquired fh Barbie, was frankly an eye-opener. I avoid thinking of razors as "aggressive"; I'm fairly sure they mean me no harm, generally. Two shaves in, I'm finding the challenge of a learning curve, for the first time. My R-41 was a quick read, never a scrape. I'll dial up any adjustable with the best of them, and a red tip is just another super speed (God bless 'em). But I've got weepers! And irritation! And an otherwise gorgeous shave, with the best one-pass result I've experienced, the irritation coming with trying to force multiple passes onto my lower neck. So I'm pretty sure the fault is mine, and very sure I will love this razor.

They are definitely an "eye-opener", beautiful and efficient razor. It took me a few times to get it right and I still have to watch myself when I take it out for a spin.

Great insights. I do think that I'm "working" the razor, when the weight itself would be enough. Really respect this razor.

Great insights. I do think that I'm "working" the razor, when the weight itself would be enough. Really respect this razor.
As much as I would love to take credit for the insight, I am leaning on an old golf maxim, that I have applied to many disciplines requiring the use of a tool(Golf, fishing, tools). "Let the club do the work". I think and feel like it makes it even more enjoyable that way.

The Barbasol floating head is one of the few razors that will always be in rotation with me! Take your time and learn it, you will surely be rewarded.

Indeed, my third and fourth ventures were increasingly rewarding, tukyou. A shallow angle and a light touch lead the way. I also appreciate all of you who have kept this thread alive and have led me to this wonderful tool.

Just tried a Barbasol Floating Head for the first time tonight. Pretty much my first non Gillette vintage DE razor. Close to a NEW Deluxe, but a little smoother. Very efficient. This is definitely a keeper! Wonder what it would look like in Rhodium?
6E82292B-C86C-474A-ACBF-B2F26DD55BB1.jpeg

Just tried a Barbasol Floating Head for the first time tonight. Pretty much my first non Gillette vintage DE razor. Close to a NEW Deluxe, but a little smoother. Very efficient. This is definitely a keeper! Wonder what it would look like in Rhodium?
View attachment 875315

I never understood the concept of the floating head. May you please be so kind to explain?

I never understood the concept of the floating head. May you please be so kind to explain?
Maybe......And if I get it wrong, someone will correct me. So win/win!:a17:

First the pictures. Here’s the 2 I snagged along the way.
FD301DA3-9AD0-4664-9B46-847F415B15E9.jpeg
23D36798-92C7-4227-B83A-ADFB7792E219.jpeg

It would probably be simpler with side shots of each with a blade loaded, but I’ll try and describe the difference. On the non floater, the blade rests on the guard bar. On the floater, the blade rests more in the cap ( securely, I might add.) the scallop at the corners of the baseplate gives a gap between the blade and guard bar. Hence, the blade “floats” above the guard bar, rather than resting on it.

Another interesting feature is that the cap covers the tab ends of the blade. I don’t know how or if that contributes to the rigidity with which it holds a blade, but it can’t hurt. Remember this is a mid 1930’s design.

I don’t have a non floater to compare it with, so can’t comment on the difference in shave quality. Seems from what I’ve read, it’s milder.

That’s about all my pea sized brain has absorbed so far.

Thank you very much for the excellent explanation @Hoka Hey! It was the term "floating head" that got me confused. If someone would have called it "floating blade", then I would have understood the concept immediately. :biggrin1:

I think the Probak razor also covers the tab ends of the blade. (early 30s concept too)

Thank you very much for the excellent explanation @Hoka Hey! It was the term "floating head" that got me confused. If someone would have called it "floating blade", then I would have understood the concept immediately. :biggrin1:

I think the Probak razor also covers the tab ends of the blade. (early 30s concept too)
Same here. Initially thought hydraulics, bushings, rubber grommets and/or Voodoo.

I actually never noticed that about the Probak but you're right it does.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I actually never noticed that about the Probak but you're right it does.
proxy.php

I also like how the corner teeth of the Probak are reinforced (in the space between the teeth) so they are less prone to bending. I wish Gillette would have invented that for their New Improved series.

Conrad Razor patent here lends creedence to the proposition that the Barbasols, like the Good Humor and Clix, were manufactured for Barbie by Conrad who held the patent. Applied for 1933.

US2085892A.pdf
proxy.php

Top Bottom