What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

Shave 2 with the Rubie today.
1000005799.jpg

I had a comfortable BBS shave today after skipping yesterday. I had some alum and aftershave feedback but it was acceptable. I am going to switch to my WR1 .74 tomorrow because this blade might be just a touch too sharp for this razor. The WR1 .74 has a 0.17 blade exposure but it seems more gentle than this razor with sharp blades. I don't have much to say about this blade, it is still in my top 5 along with GSBs, Nacets, Wizamets and possibly the Lord Silver Star. Its a good thing I am in GRUME because I only have 3 tucks left of the Silver Stars 🤣

Date10.05.2024
366 daily shaves
131/366

RazorBladeBrush
Fatip FathenaGillette Rubie (4)Semogue SOC Cherry Finest
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (15)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (One red spot)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
6.5/10
(CCS+++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Fun to mix up the Athena and Fatip razors, but on their own they are both much more effective.

For extended shave notes click here.

Razor and blade. Yesterday’s performance was slightly less than expected, but still very worthy of a fourth run today. No signs of fatigue at all. Also not in the butterysmooth division either yet.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave 3 with the Rubie.
1000005813.jpg

Another comfy BBS shave today with minimal alum and aftershave feedback. This razor is a better fit for the Rubie.

@Guido75 I don't really get the buttery smoothness with this blade, but today was closer with this razor. I am going to try my WR1.67 OC tomorrow, because that what I used my week of Rubie Plus shaves.

Date11.05.2024
366 daily shaves
132/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorock Game Changer .84OCGillette Rubie (5)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (16)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (One red spot)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Yesterday’s shave was too mild for my liking. The Game Changer is much more effective and I am definitely a fan of that.

Performance wise this is an easy blade and one that performs well. Sufficiently smooth and comfortable. Great sharpness. For me at this moment in time there is a difference with the Rubie Plus blade. The Rubie without the Plus is a little harsher in comparison and draws more blood.

Enjoy your shave.

Shave 4 with the Rubie
1000005826.jpg

I went with my milder WR1 .67 today with a .1 blade exposure and found the Rubie smoother than yesterday. I do think the Rubie Plus is still a tad smoother than this blade. I will have no problem using this blade again tomorrow but I might bin it after 5 uses if I get resistance under the chin ATG.

Cheers!

Date12.05.2024
366 daily shaves
133/366

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaGillette Rubie (6)Abe’s Brush Works Blutt STF
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (18)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.75/10 (Almost clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Supreme Sunday Shave with the Athena today. Off to my parents to celebrate Mother’s Day.

Perhaps a final run with the Rubie seeing that I have been drawing blood all shaves with this blade. I still think it performs above average. I will grant it one final shave to get to 7.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave 5 with the Rubie
1000005839.jpg

I had a DFS shave today. The blade is starting to show its wear today. This blade is different from the older Rubie Plus. I prefer the Rubie Plus to this blade. Its still a fine blade, but its only good for about 3 shaves for me.

What are the plans for next week???

Shave #1 - Gillette Minora
Maggard V3a head

With a full 3 days of growth to remove, I elected for one of my aggressive razor heads, the V3a. I was anticipating a stern cut from the Gillette Minora but I found it on the moderate range. It is not the sharpest, but relatively smoothness is one of its selling points. It feels like a lesser little brother version of the Gillette Silver Blue to me.

In any case, the Minora worked well enough. I had a leisurely morning shave and probably went 1.5 passes and came out of it with a great close shave.

Nonetheless, I'm disappointed. The FlyDear Super Platinums I have been using the last two weeks perform just as well as this and can be found at 25% the price of the Minora. Of course I will need to have a longer trial with the Minora to give it a fair shot, but the first impression is a mundane one. The blades I have came from a 100 pack in a folded rectangular card. They are singled wrapped in plain white waxed paper and have 2 wax dots on each side; however the wax isn't too copious thankfully.

IMG_20240513_075832325.jpg

Last edited:
And the Super-Max and the Minora (Vintage) and the Sharp 7AM (I know you reviewed it already).
If I checked well, there are seven or eight blades missing to be tested: besides Minora, also Minora vintage, GSB vintage, Supermax, Sharp 7 AM, Gillette 7 morning yellow (have you done it yet?) and Kai.
If you haven't tried any of the ones we already reviewed, you can always add your own review if you get ahold of them.

Unfortunately, I haven't other blades listed.
I might be able to find the Kai, I have to ask the store in my town if they have any left.

Final shave with the Rubie this morning.

BladeSharpnessComfortExcalibur potential
Shark Chrome55Yes
Gillette Rubie Plus55Yes
GSB45Yes
Rubie54Possibly, but unlikely
ASCO44Yes
King C Gillette (MiC)53Not likely
Sharp Titanium53Maybe
Racer34Maybe
Lord Cool33Unlikely
Silver Star42Possible
Sputnik32No

So far we have done 12/19 blades unless I am miscounting. So we have 7 blades left.

1. Minora
  2. Nacet
  3. GSB modern (or vintage - can’t remember which is which)
  4. Super Max
  5. Sharp 7AM
  6. 7 O’clock Yellow
  7. Kai
After that we can draw our conclusions and perhaps do a rerun with certain blades to indeed check the Excalibur status of them (at least I intend to do that - you are of course free to do your thing!)

Cheers,

Guido

Date13.05.2024
366 daily shaves
134/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Gillette Rubie (7)Mühle Rocca R94 Silvertip
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (19)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.75/10 (Almost clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. A majestic Monday shave with what is probably my forever razor. A superb set. Smiling from ear to ear.

Razor and blade. Last run with the Rubie was wonderful. The Rocca made it behave very nicely. Good blade, but not necessarily for me. Also based on my statistics it scores in the lower part of all the blades I have tried so far (since recording my shaves that is).

Enjoy your shave!

Date14.05.2024
366 daily shaves
135/366

RazorBladeBrush
Souplex OCGillette Minora (1)Omega 10108
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (1)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.75/10 (Almost clean)5/10 (Sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. A fantastic shave with a new to me razor and soap. I had a wonderful shave today!

In the razor is a vintage Minora blade for a first outing. Double wrapped and I have read good things about this blade. And it lived up to the reviews. Platinum coated it was smooth and comfortable even though the Souplex is an open comb razor like the Old Type is (but unlike the Old Type the Souplex is very smooth.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave 1 with the SS Minora.
1000005863.jpg

Lol I missed the memo and used the modern version today. I had a comfortable shave and it was close enough. I did get a weeper along the left jawline, but I blame that on using my Game Changer .84 which I haven't used in a while. The shave was mild and there was minimal Alum or Aftershave feedback. So far this seems like a middle of the road blade for me. I won't push this past 3 shaves though as there was already a bit too much stubble to pick up on my second pass.

Shave 1 with the SS Minora.

Lol I missed the memo and used the modern version today. I had a comfortable shave and it was close enough. I did get a weeper along the left jawline, but I blame that on using my Game Changer .84 which I haven't used in a while. The shave was mild and there was minimal Alum or Aftershave feedback. So far this seems like a middle of the road blade for me. I won't push this past 3 shaves though as there was already a bit too much stubble to pick up on my second pass.

I found the Game Changer .84P very enjoyable. It's still mild from my perspective but has just enough bite.

Shave #2 - Gillette Minora (Modern)
Baili BT131
Barbasol

Not the most comfortable shave this morning. The Baili is one of my rougher razors and the Minora didn't seem as smooth in it. I had 1 small weeper and the blade needed a decent amount of clean-up after the first WTG pass.

This pairing doesn't seem like the best which is odd as I thought the Minora was a smoother ride than most.

I'll go for one of the Game Changers or the T7 next.

Top Bottom