What's new

Badger hair brush

While looking for a badger hair travel shaving brush.A BRV 100% pure badger hair 24 knot came up in search.while this may be a little large for a travel brush at $34 I can through it in a plastic tub.But not sure why but it fells like a scam has anyone used this product and if junk,would you recommend a good badger hair brush ,preferably one that breaks down into handle.

Alastair.

I have always liked this one:

proxy.php

Not sure if it is available in badger or only as a synthetic.
Which, by the way, is my preferred knot for travelling.

Simpsons classic travel brush is available in badger I see:

proxy.php

Never heard of BRV. Pure Badger is also the lowest quality grade of badger hair.

It's probably not a scam but not a brush I would want to use. The handle is likely not high quality either.

For travel, I'd go with a synthetic.

You'll be hard pressed to find a quality badger brush they breaks down or stores in the handle for $35.

A link may help.

The only BRV brushes I see are these $19 ones. I'd pick something else

Usually synthetic is preferable for a travel brush since a synthetic brush dries almost instantly.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Hi and welcome to B&B. I would also go with a synthetic brush.
I agree with Dave, although you can obviously use the brush that pleases you. The great advantage of a synthetic brush is the speed of drying, and I'm usually departing for home on the last day of my travels. The other advantage is that you can go cheap - a $15 synth will get the job done quite well, while virtually nobody wants to shave with a $15 badger. I often give a synthetic a quick hit with the hair dryer (from a respectable distance) before storage, which I wouldn't do with a badger.

By the way, while I love the travel brushes that store the knot inside the handle, I think they are actually not good for travelling with. Putting the dry knot inside the handle does protect the knot from damage, but if the knot is not thoroughly dried for at least 24hrs then if you pack it into the handle it will squeeze the knot and prevent any remaining moisture from evaporating. So they go mouldy if you leave them that way.

I still love my Simpsons Major M1. It’s one of my favourite brushes. But I don’t use it for travel. I take a synthetic or a small badger that doesn’t have a dense knot. Either way I use a plastic tube to store the brush.

The major m1 in super badger and the muhle synthetic are really excellent. No need to consider them for travel.
The simpson major is a very stylish design and both are a joy to use.

regarding travel storage, I use a transparent 2 piece plastic brush tube. The thread allows setting the height, so slightly taller brushes fit too. It has holes at the bottom, so there is some air circulation. I wouldn't put a wet brush in it, but good enough to prevent smell. It is sold in many places for a reasonable price (i.e. at the big river).

While looking for a badger hair travel shaving brush.A BRV 100% pure badger hair 24 knot came up in search.while this may be a little large for a travel brush at $34 I can through it in a plastic tub.But not sure why but it fells like a scam has anyone used this product and if junk,would you recommend a good badger hair brush ,preferably one that breaks down into handle.

Alastair.
This is my travel kit. I could probably just get away with the synthetic alone, but I highly prefer natural brushes over nylon. Tubes were from Smallflower, though PAA sells a Large Tube which one of these would actually fit into...

If I were to suggest a badger for travel, I would point you to the Simpson's Special S1 - I have one each in Pure and Best and it really punches well

I agree with synthetic for travel.

If I'm traveling, the brush comes out on day one and sits on the bathroom counter to air out between shaves. If I use the brush on travel day I shake it out, swirl the brush on a towel, then into a tube (I use a LARGE pill bottle).

I figure that the brush will only be confined to the tube for the trip home, and feel better about it being a nylon fiber rather than a natural hair...and if it goes bad or gets lost, I'm only out 10 bucks.

20240329_120440.jpg
20240329_120503.jpg

Last edited:
I dislike the feel of synthetic brushes. Nevertheless, that's what I bring with me for travel. The better drying characteristics are just too good a match for what I need when travelling.

Also it doesn't matter if it goes missing. It was less than $20 IIRC. Try that with a badger you'd want to actually use.

I agree with synthetic for travel.

If I'm traveling, the brush comes out on day one and sits on the bathroom counter to air out between shaves. If I use the brush on travel day I shake it out, swirl the brush on a towel, then into a tube (I use a LARGE pill bottle).

I figure that the brush will only be confined to the tube for the trip home, and feel better about it being a nylon fiber rather than a natural hair...and if it goes bad or gets lost, I'm only out 10 bucks.

View attachment 1820172View attachment 1820171
Where does one come about these containers ?
I see great utility for keeping 80-100g metal jigs in my pocket for quick changeout on the boat...

I dislike the feel of synthetic brushes. Nevertheless, that's what I bring with me for travel. The better drying characteristics are just too good a match for what I need when travelling.

Also it doesn't matter if it goes missing. It was less than $20 IIRC. Try that with a badger you'd want to actually use.
I believe the last synthetic (25mm) I purchased was under $15 from Fendrihan; though Italian Barber has great options at and below that price as well

From the pharmacy. Apparently someone (my wife) was prescribed some really, really big pills.

Edit:

Looks like Amazon sells bottles. Search "empty pill bottles".
By their description - I would be needing the 60-Dram capacity to accommodate roughly 4.7"
I already re-purpose my old bottles for safely keeping hooks in the pocket

Synthetics are good for travel but you can always use a badger and dry it with a blow drier before you pack it away. Most places will have a blow drier.

My picks for travel are

Muhle Synthetic travel brush
Simpson Classic 1 Best Badger with tube
Simpson Wee Scot Best Badger in IKEA salt shaker

A few ideas are attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    858.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0264.jpeg
    IMG_0264.jpeg
    852.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    901.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    769.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0234.jpeg
    IMG_0234.jpeg
    939.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0130.jpeg
    IMG_0130.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0097.jpeg
    IMG_0097.jpeg
    926.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
By the way, while I love the travel brushes that store the knot inside the handle, I think they are actually not good for travelling with. Putting the dry knot inside the handle does protect the knot from damage, but if the knot is not thoroughly dried for at least 24hrs then if you pack it into the handle it will squeeze the knot and prevent any remaining moisture from evaporating. So they go mouldy if you leave them that way.

I still love my Simpsons Major M1. It’s one of my favourite brushes. But I don’t use it for travel. I take a synthetic or a small badger that doesn’t have a dense knot. Either way I use a plastic tube to store the brush.
On a longer trip, I take my Muhle STF travel brush for pack and go days and my Major in Super for days when I can allow it to properly dry. Synthetics are great for not having to be soaked and for drying quickly but I prefer the feel of a nice badger.
IMG_0003.jpeg

Muhle STF
IMG_0231.jpeg

The Major Super, in the turnback handle with a Wee Scot, Duke 3 best, Classic 2, Chubby 1 super and a Classic 1 synthetic (worst brush I have ever owned)
IMG_0232.jpeg

The Classic 1 is in the Simpson tube, the Wee Scot in a small pill bottle and the Major closed for travel.

Last edited:
Agree on the recommendation of a synthetic brush.
Natural fibres will suffer if they are not completely dried and synthetics are much more robust in this respect.

I travelled regularly for work, but never bothered with dedicated travel brushes that tend to have small (21mm or less) knots. Instead I got a brush travel tube and carried one of my regular brushes.

I am not familiar with BRV brushes, but well-known Fendrihan (Canada and US) have their own German-made Fendrihan branded $37.95 travel brushes (similar to Mühle). Alternatively, some of their grey badger brushes or synthetics, which all punch above their $$ weight, might suit your budget in combination with a travel tube.

B.

Last edited:
Top Bottom