What's new

Badger & Blade Weight Loss Thread

Yes indeed, they are simple carbs. They have lower caloric value, however, than their stark white counterparts, and I enjoy still having a few simple carbs still in my diet. Given my fairly easy descent from 195 to 150 and how it has been fairly easy to maintain it, I am ok with having them. They are not an everyday thing, and the bread I make is also very heavily loaded with seeds and nuts. However, most typical meals focus on a small bit of meat, a salad, and a vegetable. We avoid things like artificial sweeteners, sucrose, and so-called lite processed foods. We are ok with fat. Breakfasts are usually heavy on avocados.

A good quick read is Younger Next Year. It looks kind of schlocky, lots of testimonials and a garish cover, but the premise is sound. At a cellular level we still burn fat by low intensity sustained activity (long hours looking for food) and carbs by brief bursts of intense activity burning the more readily accessible fuel (running to catch dinner or running to avoid becoming something else's dinner).

A nice thing about exercise is its positive impact on the way I want to eat. If I feel hungry between meals, exercise and water blunts the cravings.

In the final analysis I eat pretty well, and both getting to a healthy weight and keeping my weight at that level has been chiefly about portion control and, to a lesser degree, balance. We had a nice sirloin the other night. It was a little over a pound. It provided six meals, two as a steak dinner and four as toppings for salad.
Good to hear :) And indeed what a lot are making a mistake on, is once you just become accustomed to snacking when feeling hungry, it could just be thirst, so drink a sip of water and then that annoying hunger feeling might go away :) When it comes to that, we're pretty much like dolphins, they have big troubles distinguishing hunger and thirst, so if they have access to water, they sometimes skip food, and if they have food, they might skip water :p

Keep at it though, and good luck in becoming a better you :)

I agree and disagree.

It's quite true that one cannot exercise one's way out of a bad diet. Choosing the right foods consistently ... and consistently avoiding the wrong ones ... is huge in terms of achieving good health and a good weight.

That being said, exercise is key for health too. One cannot be properly healthy without exercise. Exercise will, in fact, make you feel good. But expecting exercise to do what a proper diet does is as silly as expecting a new set of tires to make your car run better when it actually needs new sparkplugs. (You gotta do both, but they are different things for different purposes.)
Oh absolutely, i would never advice anyone to not do training, after all, science shows, that a good 30 minutes a day, to get your heart rate up, whether you have a bad heart or just got a replacement, it is vital to keep your body in check, BUT, food is more important though ;)

But look at it this way as well, there are many people who gets some knee / leg operation, new hips etc, who stays in bed instead of getting up and at it, and they start limping, and can't get rid of it after that, such a shame :( So don't do that if it ever becomes a thing for you :p We gotta stay active, we're designed to be in movement, not sit still! A thing that sadly became a problem with the lazy part of using cars, even when it is not needed, people still use them, no matter how short the distance is, instead of just using the legs you're born with, you know?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The take aways from book I referenced above, Younger Next Year, can be summarized IMO by four statements:

* Because of the way your body consumes different fuels, sustained low intensity exercise will burn fat.

* Brief and intermittent high intensity exercise will burn more of the readily accessible carbs.

* A diet rich in "low caloric density" foods like vegetables and smaller amounts of things providing healthy fats, coupled with plenty of water, is generally healthier than one that includes excessive simple carbs or omits fats.

* Social interaction is essential to good overall health. When you retire it becomes something you need to address with some intentionality.

Although my body is daily paying the price for athletic injuries in my youth, I find that a good daily walk, some situps, pushups, and stretches, accompanied by spending more time up and busy rather than sprawled out in a chair in front of the TV, helps my body feel better despite nagging injuries and helps me not feel like engaging in mindless snacking.

I am a lifelong cook. However, even people who are new to cooking need to learn. It is not hard. It saves astounding amounts of money. It is invariably far more healthy than buying prepared foods or going to restaurants. It does not have to be time consuming.

Interestingly, having a healthier self is about diet and exercise of course, but adding other interests and, surprisingly, decluttering, all serve to reinforce better health.

Hi guys, I’m joining in a bit late, but here goes.
On January 1st I started Keto with intermittent fasting and then full on clean keto and one meal a day until April. I started Beach Body’s 80 day obsession and ended up making it to day 50 before we went on vacation in early June. I ended up getting a cut on the back of my knee while in the ocean and ended up with a nasty infection, got sick and caught a sinus infection…. I haven’t worked out in right about a month and haven’t gained any weight, but I’m sure I’ve lost muscle. I’m all healed up and feel much better, I’m ready to get back to it!

Starting weight 01.01.2021: 233.6lbs
Current Weight 07.02.2021: 181.6lbs
Goal Weight: 170lbs
Total loss this year: 52lbs

I am currently watching my calories, eating a low carb version of meditation diet.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hi guys, I’m joining in a bit late, but here goes.
On January 1st I started Keto with intermittent fasting and then full on clean keto and one meal a day until April. I started Beach Body’s 80 day obsession and ended up making it to day 50 before we went on vacation in early June. I ended up getting a cut on the back of my knee while in the ocean and ended up with a nasty infection, got sick and caught a sinus infection…. I haven’t worked out in right about a month and haven’t gained any weight, but I’m sure I’ve lost muscle. I’m all healed up and feel much better, I’m ready to get back to it!

Starting weight 01.01.2021: 233.6lbs
Current Weight 07.02.2021: 181.6lbs
Goal Weight: 170lbs
Total loss this year: 52lbs

I am currently watching my calories, eating a low carb version of meditation diet.
Our lives have been even NUTTIER than normal lately, so that's been our (my!) excuse for falling off the wagon, but the lovely War Department and I have been discussing a Mediterranean diet lately. We have not put NEARLY enough thought into what we are doing with and putting into our bodies.

Our lives have been even NUTTIER than normal lately, so that's been our (my!) excuse for falling off the wagon, but the lovely War Department and I have been discussing a Mediterranean diet lately. We have not put NEARLY enough thought into what we are doing with and putting into our bodies.
I definitely know the feeling! Recently I started reading the book How to eat, by David L. Katz and Mark Bittman. It’s in an interesting Q & A format and it really does paint an excellent picture of the Mediterranean eating style. I’ve definitely enjoyed the carbs!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Meditating about the Mediterranean diet recently got me to make my world famous Greek salad. Lots of fresh ingredients available this time of year!

@FarmerTan Biggest mistake, using situations as an excuse, for falling back into a trap... That is exactly the moments, that should motivate you, to do the opposite, to give you the energy you need, and making smart choices :)

FarmerTan

@FarmerTan Biggest mistake, using situations as an excuse, for falling back into a trap... That is exactly the moments, that should motivate you, to do the opposite, to give you the energy you need, and making smart choices :)
Amen my friend. Thanks for the reminder.

Heres my journey so far

Start: Jan 1, 2020 (260.5)

So far Jul 10, 2021 ( 200.0)

Had original plans to be down to the 200 by Xmas of 2020 but I got down to 208 and the weight loss stopped no matter what then the holidays kicked in and I fell back and gained but then I jumped back in and after a few months am down and still want to lose more.

I have tried several things but intermittent fasting with low carb seems to work, yes I have had cheat days but I try to limit them to just a few a month and I have recently dabbled in the OMAD method, I have figured out that I can’t do 25 or less carbs a day so I have been bumping it up and it seems if I hover around 75 I can still lose and I ok with that.

FarmerTan

Heres my journey so far

Start: Jan 1, 2020 (260.5)

So far Jul 10, 2021 ( 200.0)

Had original plans to be down to the 200 by Xmas of 2020 but I got down to 208 and the weight loss stopped no matter what then the holidays kicked in and I fell back and gained but then I jumped back in and after a few months am down and still want to lose more.

I have tried several things but intermittent fasting with low carb seems to work, yes I have had cheat days but I try to limit them to just a few a month and I have recently dabbled in the OMAD method, I have figured out that I can’t do 25 or less carbs a day so I have been bumping it up and it seems if I hover around 75 I can still lose and I ok with that.
That is phenomenal my friend!

I started on the HMR Weight Loss Management Program on January 13, 2021 at 287.5. Last Monday I weighed in at 232.5, a loss of 55 pounds. My next interim goal is 229 and my ultimate goal is 185. I have several interim goals.

I was 203, as of yesterday I’m 184. I was stuck at 15 pounds weight loss for a long time. my goal was to lose 20 pounds so I’m pretty happy with 19.

I got a concussion and required stitches and dental work. It was ugly but a blessing in disguise I suppose? The doctors discovered my blood pressure was dangerously high. I was diagnosed with post concussive syndrome. So as to heal quicker I was told to give up alcohol. To lower my BP I was told to reduce salt and give up caffeine as well as break a sweat every day.

The wife and I decided to start eating better. Which over time changing little things became habits and we built on them. Now we are eating mostly vegetarian. Some people call it flexatarian or plant based? That combined with a 3 mile hike a day at the park near our house has changed my body. Also my BP numbers were so good the Dr cut my medication dose in half. And if the trend continues for another 2 weeks I can cut it in half again! The goal for me is to be medication free.

Top Bottom